Favorite running quote (Read 3388 times)

older not wiser

"If a bone ain't showin' jus keep on goin'"

"Only those that attempt the absurd, shall achieve the impossible"

steferfootballdu

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion, spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who have never tasted victory or defeat

Theodore Roosevelt

hokiemamba

A couple more really great ones:

"Let me win, but if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt."  (Special Olympics creed)

"I'm running down a dream, never would come to me..."  - Tom Petty

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

From fellow RA'ers:

- "Runners run." (mikeymike, i think)

- "Just run, baby" (Jeff)

Others: 

- "If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'!!"

- "What goes up, must come down.  Spinning wheel, got to go round." (useful on hills)

- "The race goes not always to the swift, but to those who keep running."

- "My sport is your sport's punishment."

- "Never stop!  Never stop fighting until the fight is done! Here endeth the lesson."

“I’ve never finished a run and thought that was a waste of time.” – Frank Pucher

Maybe this has already been posted but shirtwoot had it some while ago and I couldn't resist. I don't usually wear cotton t-shirts for races but it was St Patrick's day and it's one of the few green shirts I own.

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
              coco-watts

Our high school cross country team's  t- shirts  -  "Trample the weak, hurdle the dead"
                Lane

Maybe this has already been posted but shirtwoot had it some while ago and I couldn't resist. I don't usually wear cotton t-shirts for races but it was St Patrick's day and it's one of the few green shirts I own.

I had two different friends who do not know each other simultaneously get buy this shirt for me.

Tiefsa

"The roads are always open"

I have a whole bunch of quotes on my site too.

Running Quotes

she runs like a girl

"The roads are always open"

I have a whole bunch of quotes on my site too.

Running Quotes

Nice website Tief!

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"
                      runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I am never bored, even without distractions, because I am training!

--Jimmy(RAer)

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

beasty1711

Running is like mouthwash; if you can feel the burn, it's working.

Tiefsa

Nice website Tief!

Thanks!!!

Another good quote - 

"Winning stuff and having people run fast is still fun, but I think the best part is seeing the athletes take their character, their souls if you will, out to a scary place and managing it well… learning courage. And that happens more in training and lifestyle than in racing."

Mark Wetmore (from an interview on tips4running.com)

jeffdonahue

I was just floating around the RW website and came across this one:

"The long run puts the tiger in the cat."

But that really only reminded me of a quote from Jeff (not me, the fast one) when he took it one step further:

"The long run puts the tiger in the cat.  But if the cat's not strong enough, the tiger just eats the cat and shits out a dead runner."

Doc: Of course we run. But for recreation. For fun.

Saloon Old Timer: Run for fun? What the hell kind of fun is that?

- Back to the Future 3