Comrades Ultra Marathon (Read 583 times)

Greetings from sunny South Africa! I was wondering if any of you folk has run or is planning to run the Comrades Ultra Marathon? I'm currently training for it, and would like to peek at other people's logs, see what sort of training they're up to.

Marathon runners suffer the agony of da feet

JakeKnight

Hi, sunny South Africa. Greetings from currently gloomy and gray North America. Comrades is a dream run. It's on my permanent top-5 list of someday runs. That's not just a dream run, it's a dream adventure, at least for those of us who have to travel around the world to do it. Wish I could be more helpful, but unfortunately I don't know anyone who's actually done it. Just a few folks who've dreamed about it and drooled over it. I really, REALLY hope you come back and tell us all about it after you do it. When is it exactly? How far is it from you? What's your training like at the moment?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Maybe not too many of us ran Comrades but there are ultrarunners who had done hilly races. Their logs would possibly be of value to you. Good luck. Ewa
        I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
          I honestly can't wait. The race is on the 17th of June this year, being run on a Sunday for the first time, quite controversial actually. I live in Cape Town, which is about 1100 miles from Durban, where the race starts this year, so it's quite far, but I will be going there about 3 days before to get a feeling of the vibe, drive the course etc. My training is going well, just getting the legs used to solid miles before it starts building heavily from January. You should seriously consider doing it, it's not that far to travel out here... Btw, you can follow my progress on my blog, www.comradesblog.com. Ewa, I'll have a look out for other ultra runners, anyone you can suggest?

JakeKnight

Ewa, I'll have a look out for other ultra runners, anyone you can suggest?
            JLynnBob and Purdey, I think, have both done ultras ... and Ultrawalker does them, as his name makes obvious. I'm sure you found the ultrarunner's group, which sadly nobody ever seems to use, since I'd like to pick their brains. Keep us posted on your training. I can't wait to hear about your run. I've been reading about that race for a long time. Nice blog, by the way. Just ran on my own brand new 2110's for the first time this morning, and really dug them. Glad to hear your report. How many miles did you put on them?

The 2110's were such a great pair of shoes, I cannot explain how much I loved those shoes. Probably too much as I was a bit tardy in getting rid of them of though, and I think the last 100km out of 1050km caused me a minor injury. Getting a weird pain in my ankle when I run. So I went to physio this morning, and she said it could be ITB tendon being a bit tight etc. I'm going to hold off running for a walk and hit the bike instead. Frustrating at the beginning of the year though. You're doing some good miles at the moment JakeNight, are you training for anything specific?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Comrades? Wait. Which one? Up or down?
                JakeKnight

You're doing some good miles at the moment JakeNight, are you training for anything specific?
                  I have a scheduled re-match with the Country Music Marathon coming up in late April. Last year's was my only truly bad running experience; the gory details are around here somewhere. Let's just say that the last 10-k took almost as long as the first half marathon, and I had no idea pee could ever be that color. I'm out for revenge.