Map/GPS data retained on old runs? (Read 471 times)

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Hello all,

As I get back into shape after a nearly year-long break from running, I was looking at some of my old runs ... and for my runs January 7, 2011 and earlier, my map/GPS data is no longer visible (I got the Garmin in November 2010, so there's only a few months of map/GPS data missing). Without the map/elevation data, it is harder to see what I was doing then and how it compares to what I'm doing now.

Is this simply part of the deal - old map data is removed due to storage space issues, or was there some fluke with my account (which was dormant for a while)?

Thanks!

Chris

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

mikeymike

Not sure the RA policy on storing GPS maps but I definitely have workouts that were uploaded from GPS prior to January of 2011 and still have the GPS map associated.  I don't use my GPS very often so they were hard to find but I found a few workouts from as far back as January 2010.

Runners run

My maps are still there from AUG 2009, when I got my Garmin.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

an amazing likeness

fyi..Eric's reply to a similar question earlier this year...

RA does not archive or delete data unless you explicitly delete them...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Huh. Thanks for the feedback. Any idea what would have happened with the data, then?

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

eric :)

The GPS has limited memory to store your data.  As you record more workouts, the GPS will run out of room.  When that happens, it will delete the GPS (map) data of the oldest workouts.  Only the summary data is retained.  This is why you should download your data frequently.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Thanks, Eric, but I don't think that is it. I upload my Garmin data after every run. The map data used to be on RA, but it isn't any longer. And I checked my device, and it still contains data from November 2010. Somehow, I lost my maps on RA from November 2010 -January 2011, but I'm not sure how. Not a big deal, but perhaps a glitch of some sort ...

eric :)

Chris,

I looked into your account and here's what I found.  All workouts from Jan 8, 2011 to Jan 28, 2011 are uploaded on Jan 28, 2011.  The Jan 30, 2011 workout was uploaded on Jan 30, 2011.  This suggests that the first time you uploaded your GPS data to RA was on Jan 28, 2011.  If your data came directly from your GPS instead of a data file such as Training Center, then it would explain why your Jan 7 data is missing.  I think this is the most likely explanation.