Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

DLJ

Based on the recent 5k and workouts, I'm thinking shooting for 6:00 pace? Sub-30 minutes would be sweet. We'll see if the 5k was a fluke.

Nice Run Lloyd! Very solid 8km and a nice time too - solidly under the 30 minutes. Clearly not a fluke - more likely all those miles that really hurt.

Looks like you didn't need any advice on how to run this race, Roots.

Congrats on the sub-30 finish!

John

Nice Run Lloyd! Very solid 8km and a nice time too - solidly under the 30 minutes. Clearly not a fluke - more likely all those miles that really hurt.

Thanks guys.

I actually got a poor start in this race as I was literally caught with a shoe untied. At the end of the national anthem, I decided to retie a shoe as the starter started the race. I lost about 4-5 seconds and ended up running mile 1 (5:38) way too fast. By the second mile (5:50) I was already 30 seconds in the bank and was thinking that even 6:00s would bring me to the goal. Payback started in mile three (6:15). I managed to steady the ship in mile four (5:58) and barely hanging on at the end (mile 5 in 6:12-ish). My watch said 29:53 and the official time 29:57.

I am suspect about a short course, but happy that I knocked off about 40 seconds from my last 5 miler in Aug 2008 and during my last marathon prep. Outlook is good!

Marquess of Utopia

You can take me off the hopeful list:

eispickel - 01/06/09 Tulsa Route 66, Tulsa OK

eispickel was my old screen name. I broke 3 at Grandma's Marathon in June.

Sorry no race report; It was a really hot day; I got dehydrated and walked a lot.

Does anyone race with a thermometer? I thought it was upper 50’s at the start of the race but it was closer to 70 and 92 by 12:30. If I had known it would be that hot I would have paced myself better.

Are we there yet?

Take me off the hopeful list as well... my patellar tendonitis has not cured in time for San Fran.. looks like I will have to wait for Boston 2010 to go Sub 3... Good luck to ALL!!
          DLJ

You can take me off the hopeful list:

Nice run Riggs! 2:56:45 - reading the other race reports of the guys who ran this race it sounds like and absolutely terrible day for running and yet a couple of you still managed to crash through the 3 hours. Fantastic job!

bhearn

Big congrats on the sub-3, Riggs. Again, I don't know how you guys managed that in the heat.

Roots, great job on the 5 miler.

I ran another 3:08:34 last weekend, at the Foot Traffic Flat in Portland -- yes, *exactly* the same time as the weekend before. How's that for precision, Jim? That wraps up my 13 in 12 weeks (for 7 maniac stars), and I'm done for a while now. I was very happy to finish off with two sub-3:10s in a row, especially since I've gained 12 pounds since Boston, and it was hot (mid 70s) in Portland. The last time I tried to run < 3:10 in mid 70s, I crashed and ran 3:43 (my first Boston).

flovesparko

Bhearn, Congrats on being a maniac!  I can't imagine running 13 marathons in 12 weeks.    I've done 14 races this year but only one is a marathon and they weren't in 12 weeks.  I need  you to pace me at my next marathon.

Right on Hereford...

Training update for this week...

Key workouts:

Sunday: 18 miles, hilly, 7:59 pace

Tuesday: 9.6 miles with 8000m tempo on the track (6:26 pace)

Saturday (today): 18 miles, with last 10 at MP (6:43 pace)

Total mileage: 80.1 (new PR)

This has to be the best week of training in my life. Tuesday's tempo run was at sub-40 10k pace and felt entirely reasonable. Today's marathon pace run was friggin' awesome, and such a confidence builder for Chicago this fall.

I only hit 80 miles this week because I switched my long run to today (to better fit my life), when I normally would have run it on Sunday. But still, it feels pretty cool to run 80 miles in a week for the first time.

Nice to see all the other hopefuls on track as well!

Awesome week, Dakota!!!

Post Asthma Era PRs: 5K--18:39 (Mar 2016), 10K--39:40 (Feb 2018), HM--1:28:04 (Jan 2017), MAR--2:59:12 (November 2017)

Prince of Fatness

Tuesday's tempo run was at sub-40 10k pace and felt entirely reasonable.

I don't belong here but i just wanted to mention how envious I am of this.  Nice work.

Not at it at all. 

Wow. That's  very impressive. I mean the whole week looks good but today's run especially.

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
                        DLJ

Lots of 100+ km weeks but you are right this last one looks extremely good. But I agree with the other guys any 30km with the last 10 at marathon pace is fantastically good.

spinach

It doesn't look like I will be able to schedule in a fall marathon this year, so I guess I will need to try to break three either at San Francisco or Paavo in the next month.  I think San Francisco is probably the easier course (although its not much of a PR course) so I will try to break it there in two weeks.

The good news is that I don't think the miserable conditions we had at Grandmas affected me at all, in fact the hot weather may have helped in that I took somewhat easier during the second half of the race.  I have done 180 miles in the three weeks since Grandmas and last sunday I  ran a 12 mile race a couple seconds over 1:18 on a reasonably hilly course, so that was a good confidence boost.  Today I ran 21 miles with the last 6 at marathon pace [6:50], so I may be in shape.  My plan is to do another 50 this week and then take it easy the week before San Francisco. 

The good thing is that if I don't feel right in San Francisco, or if we have weather not conducive to running out there, I will have a back up at Paavo.  This year they aren't on consecutive weekends and so I don't think running San Francisco will affect me at Paavo the way I felt it in the last three or four miles last year.

Sunday: 18 miles, hilly, 7:59 pace

Tuesday: 9.6 miles with 8000m tempo on the track (6:26 pace)

Total mileage: 80.1 (new PR)

This has to be the best week of training in my life. Tuesday's tempo run was at sub-40 10k pace and felt entirely reasonable. Today's marathon pace run was friggin' awesome, and such a confidence builder for Chicago this fall.

I only hit 80 miles this week because I switched my long run to today (to better fit my life), when I normally would have run it on Sunday. But still, it feels pretty cool to run 80 miles in a week for the first time.

Nice to see all the other hopefuls on track as well!

Great week Dakota, especially the 18 miler!   I'm way off this level at the moment after a bump in the road due to an ankle problem, but I'm building back up again.  I've only got 10 weeks left but I'm hopeful I can get back to the level required for sub 3.

And good stuff from you spinach, 21 with 5 @ MP shows you are on schedule.

Spinach - nice 12 miler.  Looks like that would be an 1:25-26 half?

I ran paavo in 1971!!! as a 17 y.o. high schooler.  We bicycled from Wichita Ks to Upson Wi (1200 miles) for a week long XC camp and had no idea that coach would put us in a marathon.   Ran a 2:54 and change.  Don't even remember it now I'm so old.  Smile

Fri ran 16.5 miles in the hills with 10 before sun up and the balance later.  Heat index was already at 99 when we stopped.  Raced a 5k Sat. and set my masters pr of 18:30.   Feel like I'm starting to get fit again after Boston.  Still scheduled for Portland in Oct.  Trying to incorporate some of Hudsons coaching into my  schedule this time which includes more quality in the mileage. 

good runs all

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10