Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

I'm not on the list (maybe because I already graduated), but I'm running Chicago on 10/11 with a bunch of you. Just wrapped up a good 6 week HADD session where I've seen some nice pace drops at lower HRs. I'm at faster paces at the same HRs then when I was just before Boston. I'm hoping I'm not peaking too early. My paces right now, correspond to about a low-to-mid 2:50's for Chicago and thats before I have even hit Pfitz 12-week program.

Some good runs I had this week was an 18+ miler @ 7:37/mile. AHR 140. (My MPHR is around 163-164). I usually get 3 sec/bpm. So that 7:37 would translate to low 6:30s MP. I also did a 12+ miler @ 7:24/mile AHR 145....

Still haven't run faster than 7mpm in any workout, just a weekly race on Monday nights most of them being 5k ish...

I start Pfitz on 7.20, but I leave for Ireland on 7.22 and don't get back until 8.3. I plan on running as much as I can, but do suspect I won't be doing any doubles or running everyday....

Good job everyone as we make the transition into the main part of fall marathon training....

Right on Hereford...

Thanks, everyone, for your encouraging words after my last training update post. I really appreciate that!

Spinach, your 12-mile race at 6:30 pace predicts a 2:59 marathon, and I think your recent 21-mile run with the last 6 at MP is an equally good indicator. You've got an excellent shot at this thing.

Roth, I think your speed and fitness will come back quickly. You ran a 1:21 half in May, remember? That really wasn't that long ago. And 10 weeks is a good amount of time for someone whose sub-3 goal is actually on the conservative side, like yourself.

ksrunr, that is a fantastic 5k race. Looks like you're on track even while training in that ridiculous heat.

dcv, I hope to see you at Chicago. Your training looks awesome. Looks like the HADD training is working for you. I'd love to see you go low 2:50's.

dcv2002, I added you to the list for Chicago.

Chaka, sorry to hear about the injury. If you really want me to take you off list I will, but up until this point I've been leaving everyone on who hasn't graduated as a place holder. This way anyone who has ever been a member of the thread should appear on one of the 2 lists. Let me know when you are sure about your next try.

I've been dealing with another injury too--my lame excuse for having let the thread go for past few weeks. Please let me know if I've missed anything. I see that it is alive and well--many great performances, both at the races and training wise.

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Are we there yet?

Jim-  place holder sounds good... keep me on the list. I haven't been able to run but I have increased my core fitness and up to beching 185 lbs. Should help for Boston...
            Jim-  place holder sounds good... keep me on the list. I haven't been able to run but I have increased my core fitness and up to beching 185 lbs. Should help for Boston...

Hang in there Chaka. Maybe these injuries will turn out to be a long term blessing in that they force us to work on some of the root causes. I would have never joined a gym if not for them but am starting to enjoy it.

You will be back!

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Hi Jim, please put my name back up there on that list. After some quiet months following Rome I'm firmly wearing those rose tinted specs and have put myself down for Amsterdam on Oct 18th and am looking forward to gaining more inspiration from your training and racing guys. There are about 5 of us from our running club entered into Amsterdam with the goal of running sub 3 and we've had a program put together by some more experienced marathon runners who have sub 2.40 to their names. They have also kindly offered to run it with us and in effect pace us round. Not sure if that is cheating but I'll take any help going! 

I've been concentrating on my speedwork since my marathon run in March and it seems to have paid off with pb's in both 10k - 37.57 - and 5k - 17.37 so I'm looking forward to combining this improvement in speed with hopefully an improvement in my endurance over the next 12 weeks. Keep you posted.  

You're down for Oct 18, lanky.

Nice 5k-10k times!

spinach

Well I did my last longish run (16 miles) yesterday before next sunday's San Francisco Marathon.  I feel cautiously optimistic about my chances to break three.  My training has gone well since the torture that was Grandmas.  I put in a little over 200 miles in the four weeks since then with a long run (three 19+ and yesterday's 16) each weekend. 

I feel I am in much better shape than I was before the Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon in May when I did a solitary 3:02, although San Francisco's course is more difficult.  One advantage of San Francisco is that I have done it the previous two years and so I know the route pretty well.  I am starting in the first wave and so although the route will be a bit crowded with runners trying to break 1:30 in the half, once I get to the half way point it will be pretty empty. I have noticed that I run better on courses that are fairly empty, Lake Wobegon, where I didn't see anyone for the last 21 miles is an example.  I am just hoping for good weather:  low 50s, fog, no wind, maybe a light drizzle at least until 8:30 when I plan on finishing.

Well I did my last longish run (16 miles) yesterday before next sunday's San Francisco Marathon.  I feel cautiously optimistic about my chances to break three. 

I am just hoping for good weather:  low 50s, fog, no wind, maybe a light drizzle at least until 8:30 when I plan on finishing.

Good luck this weekend. Forecast looks good so far with fog and mild temps (54). Let us know how it goes.

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
                      Good luck spinach, sounds like you've bounced back from Grandmas nicely.  The weather looks pretty spot on too - you've got a very good chance - fingers crossed!
                      DLJ

Good luck Spincah,

After your effort at grandma's in the heat and your recovery I am sure you are in good stead for San Franscico. Go get the sub 3

Let me add my best wishes too Spinach.   Looks like you're in shape for a good one.   I envy you the chance to run in that cool weather.  Take advantage if you can.

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

Spinach,

Best of luck to you in San Francisco!

I know you can do it!

John

Right on Hereford...

Go get 'em, spinach!
                                Have a great run, Spinach!