Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

spinach

I love this time of year...

Me too, and I am jealous of all you guys.  Unfortunately my schedule has come apart for the fall and I don't have any marathons or other goal races until I will do a couple indoor marathons in January.  It is driving my crazy, I really don't know what to do now that it is racing time and I have no where to go.  Good luck all, I will be living vicariously reading about your training and races.

DoppleBock

Fox Cities Mid Sept

Whistle Stop mid Oct

Rails to Trail 11/1

Can do any of these?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

flovesparko

Hey Dopple Bock, thanks for the detail info on Lakefront.  Thanks to everyone else for building my confidence.  Right now, I still feel fearful after last years meltdown at Chicago.
        spinach

Fox Cities Mid Sept

Whistle Stop mid Oct

Rails to Trail 11/1

Can do any of these?

My original plan was to run Whistlestop.  That was why I did not register for the Twin Cities but a wedding in the Twin Cities that I have to go to got scheduled for that day  so that is out. 

There is a chance I may run either Rails to Trails (that is the one with the tunnel, right?) or the On the Road for Education marathon in Mason City the last weekend in October.  I will wait until October before I decide  if I will run either of those. 

Right now I think my next marathons will be the two indoor ones In January, Zoom Yah Yah and Instep Icebreaker.  I would like do a sub three in one of those and to get my age group record back for Zoom Yah Yah. 

DoppleBock

Rail to trails 3/4 RR tunnel out and back 11/1

Maybe you could fatten up and go after my Clydesdale course record at 2010 Whistlestop Smile

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DLJ

Hey DLJ (or any other Aussies) - what's a good web site to find races in either the Sydney or Gold Coast areas during the timeframe of 11/20 - 11/31?  I'll be there then and would think a 10K would be perfect.  I've kind of searched online some but found little in the way of 10K (or any races for that matter) during that time frame.  Am I out of luck?

Hey mate, you may be out of luck given that it will be pretty hot and triatholon's seem to predominate in the summer months. Cool runnings Australia has a list of races for the rest of the year for each state but unfortunatetly it is not comprehensive. Will have a look around for you at some of the local running clubs and see if they have anything smaller. Shame you weren't here a week earlier and could have ducked down to Melbourne for the 5, 10, half or marathon on October 11. Anyway will have a look for you and see what I can find.

Dwane

P.S. There is a corporate river run on Thursday 26th of November in Brisbane. 5 and 10km's - would be a lovely run but really don't know how well it is organized or anything about it. The contact person is:

5km walk - Botanical Gardens, over Goodwill Bridge, along Kangaroo Point Cliffs and return. 10km run - Botannical Gardens, along the Boardwalk to New Farm Park and return Promote lung health and raise funds for The Australian Lung Foundation contact: Margaret Goody. email: margaret@lungfoundation.com.au

Ran Bristol half marathon today. Very interested to see how my training was progressing with 6 weeks to go til the full marathon in Amsterdam. Pretty confident I would break 1hr25 but unsure whether I should push for faster. I held back first mile but still went through in 6.20 and thought I'd try and keep that pace for close to 1hr23. It was ideal  conditions - calm, flat and about 70 degrees and felt really strong through 10 miles where it started to pinch a bit. Having no expectations of going any faster than 1hr23 I didn't try and push on and ended up with 1.23:14 which I'm chuffed with but then all the questions start going round your head - could I have gone faster, was I that tired at the end? etc etc. I suppose the main goal was to see how my training was going and so in that respect I can't complain at all. Full of confidence for Oct. 18th
                  Nice run Lanky, right where you need to be.  Amsterdam in October should be nice and cool too.  It all looks good for Sub 3.
                    Ran Bristol half marathon today. Very interested to see how my training was progressing with 6 weeks to go til the full marathon in Amsterdam. Pretty confident I would break 1hr25 but unsure whether I should push for faster. I held back first mile but still went through in 6.20 and thought I'd try and keep that pace for close to 1hr23. It was ideal  conditions - calm, flat and about 70 degrees and felt really strong through 10 miles where it started to pinch a bit. Having no expectations of going any faster than 1hr23 I didn't try and push on and ended up with 1.23:14 which I'm chuffed with but then all the questions start going round your head - could I have gone faster, was I that tired at the end? etc etc. I suppose the main goal was to see how my training was going and so in that respect I can't complain at all. Full of confidence for Oct. 18th

1:23 and a bit?! Hard to imagine a better confidence boost than that. Great job

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
                      I would be thrilled with a 1:23 HM PR. I went into Boston with a 24:17 4-miler, 1:26:42 HM and a 38:49 10k... I still had confidence of a sub-3. You guys should rock your races... Me, I'm looking forward to the taper. Only about 2-3 weeks of hard weeks for me. At least my 12 with 7@LT and 22+ runs are out of the way....

Right on Hereford...

I would be thrilled with a 1:23 HM PR. I went into Boston with a 24:17 4-miler, 1:26:42 HM and a 38:49 10k... I still had confidence of a sub-3. You guys should rock your races... Me, I'm looking forward to the taper. Only about 2-3 weeks of hard weeks for me. At least my 12 with 7@LT and 22+ runs are out of the way....

Yeah, seriously. I would love to have a 1:23 under my belt, but I'm still confident. Lanky, that was a great race result. You are ready.

Dcv, I hear you about getting all (most?) of the big workouts out of the way. I think I've got a 5x1200 at 5k pace workout scheduled for tomorrow, which kind of scares me, but other than that I feel it's all downhill until Chicago. Yesterday's 18 with the last 14 at marathon pace made me feel pretty good about sub-3. 6:41 for 14 miles! Sweet...now I just have to run 12 more at that pace. Gulp.

Yesterday's 18 with the last 14 at marathon pace made me feel pretty good about sub-3. 6:41 for 14 miles! Sweet...now I just have to run 12 more at that pace. Gulp.

Thanks for the comments guys. That session looks brutal. As for 12 more it's amazing what a boost a race gives you. I didn't think I could run more than 30mins at 6.20pace never mind a half marathon.

DLJ

Lanky,

No question +1 - would be stoked with 1:23 half and certainly feel very confident about continuing on for a sub-3 full. Dakota, mate those training sessions look terrifying - just contemplating them would make me confident of another 12 miles at MP, it is very inspiring. Good luck everyone for the last 4 or 5 weeks

Dwane

Are we there yet?

Don't forget to register for Boston today... www.baa.org

It does seem mind-boggling about running the extra 12 @ MP. That much MP during the middle of training should feel hard, it should feel hard on race day though... When I did my last MP run (18 w/ 12 @ MP). It was tough but it was a good confidence booster...

I'll probably sign up for Boston post-Chicago. Already have hotel.. Just want to run fast enough in Chicago to get into first corral....