Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

Put me down for a 3hr Chicago....as a goal.... Boston I ran 3:08:06.  Realistically, prob on pace for a 3:04 right now..training just hasn't gone as planned..

A 3hr  =next  year  elite woman start at Chicago, that would be so fun!

I actually know some women from this year who have run 3:03 and are in the Top-100 start for Chicago...

kcam

Put me down for a 3hr Chicago....as a goal.... Boston I ran 3:08:06.  Realistically, prob on pace for a 3:04 right now..training just hasn't gone as planned..

A 3hr  =next  year  elite woman start at Chicago, that would be so fun!

To start with the elite at Chicago would be awesome, hope you get it! 

At this year's Bay to Breakers race in SF they had an 'elite' corral and a 'sub elite' corral and then everyone else (65,000 of us!).  My relatively crappy and decidedly non-elite 1/2 marathon time  got me into the 'elite' corral.  Don't know what their standard for elite is but it's low!  So I got to get into the VERY front and run warmup in front of the start line with the likes of Deena Kastor, Justin Young and the African runners.  It was the coolest thing ever for me as I certainly didn't belong there.  Bad part - when the race started I got sucked into going out way, way too fast!  I paid big time later in the race.

spinach

I was an "elite" in the San Francisco Marathon the last two years as they invited the age group winners back as an "elite" .  It was definitely a thrill  to be  in that group and start at the front of the race.  I may go back  to run it again next year for another chance to be elite.   Although that wasn't all that large a race and definitely nothing like Chicago would be.  My "In my dreams" goal is to run  a sub 2:55 which the cut off for 50 year old men to be an elite in the Twin Cities Marathon.  If that doesn't work I hope to stay below 3;05 for another couple years until I get to 55 and take advantage of my old age  to be an elite in the Twin Cities.

Good  luck with your goal to get there in Chicago next year.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Good luck to Roth Runner who is going for sub 3 in the Berlin Marathon at the weekend.  I think his goal is 2:55, and his training leads me to believe that this is within his capability.

Much like Geb, he shunned the World Marathon Champs in Berlin a few weeks ago in favour of the faster one with more prize money.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Now your asking!  If I'm honest I think I will be aiming for 2:55.  On the positive side I've had a good couple of months build up (averaging about 60 miles for 7 weeks) & a couple of good pointer sessions recently:

10 days ago: 1:01:43 for 10 miles  - this was a solo time trial I did to test my fitness which was at 95% for the 1st half to pretty much race effort for the second half.

2 days ago: 20 miles with 4 x 5k @ perceived MP which ended up about 6:32p for the MP sections.

But the 8 weeks before were only a bit over 40 mpw so I'm cautious to try and match up to where the 'dreaded' predictors would put me.

Feel free to comment!  In fact I'd appreciate a bit of feedback as to whether 2:55 is realistic.

Just seen this.

Yes.  2:55 is realistic.  Those two sessions point to a great performance.

Thanks for the encouragement all.  If you are interested in checking my result, my number is 15340, as I won't be back from Germany for a few days afterwards.

I'm pretty nervous now to be honest, especially as I've currently got very sore legs from laying flooring for several hours on Sunday.  Dumb I know!  I must have missed the 'Don't squat for 6hrs straight a week before a marathon' chapter in my marathon guidebook!  Doh!

It's also looking a little warm for Sunday at about 75 degrees, but I'm sure it'll be a fair bit lower than that for 3/4 of the race so it shouldn't be a big factor hopefully....

Anyway, no excuses, Berlin here I come.

Purdey

Self anointed title

A significant number of runners actually injure themselves during taper week through.... DIY.  (Usually forced on them by well meaning wives... "well... now you have the time to lay that floor/paint the roof/build the house".

Nervousness is normal.  You will race well I'm certain.  Good luck.

DLJ

Thanks for the encouragement all.  If you are interested in checking my result, my number is 15340, as I won't be back from Germany for a few days afterwards.

Mate,

I hope you have an excellent trip and an even better marathon. Can't wait to read your race report when you get back and hopefully see a ~ 2:55 as the finish time. Good luck!

Run happy

I'm not supposed to be here, at least for my second marathon Wink but I will try to get as close as possible to 3h.

I did average 56 miles/week for the last 12 week

did a yasso's trial, and manage to run 8x800 with ~3:06 (8th@3:02 Smile )

try a fast finish long run (18 miles), managed to run 3 miles (14 to 17) @ a little faster then 10k pace (6:02/mile)

and finish 5k race @ 17:38

I did not run enough long run, and the longest was 18 miles, hope that wont hurt me too much.

good luck Roth, I will fly to Berlin early morning in Friday, I will be in the D-block. and yes it will be warmer then I am expecting.

and that should be great feeling to be in the elite rank...

Good luck noyau!  You are improving so much at the moment it's hard to tell what you may run on Sunday but I'm sure you will do brilliantly with that training!
                      kcam

Good luck to noyau and RR. 

RR  - I think a 2:55 is easily within your range, all depends on endurance now.  That 1:01:43 10mile time trial looks incredibly impressive.  I ran a 1:03:13 10miler (race, not a time trial) this past Sunday and I'm beginning to feel 2:55!  If I could knock out 1:02 I'd be feeling very confident in a 2:55 or better.

Best of luck to the Berlin runners RothRunner and noyau. Have a great race and hopefully find some time to enjoy the city afterwards. Looking forward to reading those race reports when you get back.

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.

One more for the road...

Good luck to noyau and Roth Runner in Berlin.

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                              Have a great run in Berlin guys. Hope the hard training pays off.

Right on Hereford...

Go Roth Runner! Can't wait to see what you can do out there.

Noyau, best of luck to you as well. Your preparation looks pretty solid and you've got lots of speed.