Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

Hi Alan just had a look at your blog it's absolutely fantastic, hope to get sub 3 myself in Dublin in 12 days time. Have averaged 50+ miles per week for the last 20 weeks, managed 4 x 20 milers at 7m30s pace, 7m25s pace, 7m10s pace and did the last one at 7m07s pace.

Ran a PB for 10k in August of 37m30s and a PB for the Half Marathon in September of 1hr22m29s, Did a 5 mile time trail yesterday in 29m56s so hopefully with a nice easy run into the marathon, favourable weather conditions  and some luck on the day I will get it.  Any advice or comments you could give me would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks Ger.

Ger - with those 10k and half times you should be looking good for sub 3.  they are both way faster than mine!  just be sure you know what pace to run and don't start too fast.  and keep your fingers crossed for perfect weather!  good luck in dublin

- the grisly details http://alansmiles.blogspot.com
      Ger - with those 20 mile times and 10k, half times; it seems sub 3 is in the bank waiting for withdrawal.   With good weather and good pacing you will have a terrific race.

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

Ger

Ger - with those 10k and half times you should be looking good for sub 3.  they are both way faster than mine!  just be sure you know what pace to run and don't start too fast.  and keep your fingers crossed for perfect weather!  good luck in dublin

Thanks Alan, any advice on the nexrt 12 days running schedule, I am a bit worried about the taper. Also I intend going off at about 6m47s/48s Pace and staying there for as long as I can. Try and hit half way in 89 minutes.

i'm not a very displicined taperer. in the last 2 weeks i kinda feel that it's all over bar the race so tend to just run whatever for teh last 2 weeks.  i fugure you are unlikely to improve your fitness at that stage, but you can certainly screw it up by running too much!

i ran 45 and 24 (+ the race) in the final 2 weeks - with almost all of it easy except for a couple race pace miles.

your race strategy sounds good to me as that is exactly what i did! 

Right on Hereford...

Just got home from Chicago last night and still catching up. Great job to all the new graduates!

Alan, yes that's me in your photo! Wow, you paced it really well. I went out a little too fast and ran a 2-minute positive split for 2:58:00 and a 32-minute PR. I learned a lot about the marathon on Sunday, that's for sure.

DLJ

Great job Dakota - congratulations on the sub-3 effort with a nice time despite the +ve split, it is an awesome run. That is pretty impressive all you guys so close together.

Dwane

Ger

i'm not a very displicined taperer. in the last 2 weeks i kinda feel that it's all over bar the race so tend to just run whatever for teh last 2 weeks.  i fugure you are unlikely to improve your fitness at that stage, but you can certainly screw it up by running too much!

i ran 45 and 24 (+ the race) in the final 2 weeks - with almost all of it easy except for a couple race pace miles.

your race strategy sounds good to me as that is exactly what i did! 

Thanks Alan, I am staying in a Hotel in Dublin the night before the race, the race starts at 9AM and they do not start serving breakfast in the hotel until 7am any advice on what to do or what to eat that morning.  Thanks

Thanks Alan, I am staying in a Hotel in Dublin the night before the race, the race starts at 9AM and they do not start serving breakfast in the hotel until 7am any advice on what to do or what to eat that morning.  Thanks

i'm not a big pre-race breakfast guy, so usually just eat a banana and zonebar and drink some gatorade a couple hours before race start.  i'd recommend you do what you normally do before your long runs and not try anything crazy or new on race day.  good luck in dublin!

I think lankeytoreador was running the Amsterdam marathon at the weekend, sorry not to give you a good luck shout last week lankey - I hope the marathon went to plan....
                      I think lankeytoreador was running the Amsterdam marathon at the weekend, sorry not to give you a good luck shout last week lankey - I hope the marathon went to plan....

Thanks Roth. Unfortunately not. As you'll be able to see from my splits everything was going great until 35km when my left hamstring cramped up in an instant. I had 2 mins in the bank so tried not to panic, stretched it out for 30secs and set off again but within 200m my right hamstring and calf cramped up so was forced to limp/run the last 7km for a time of 3.05:00.

Negatives: Feels like I've wasted 12 weeks of my life, I'll never have  a better opportunity to crack 3hours what with the weather, the course, the condition I was in on race day, a fellow club runner pacing me perfectly etc. Do I want to invest so much physical and mental effort again to train for another race for something so out of nowhere to happen like that again?

Positives: In answer to the last point - probably yes! I felt great even during the last few km. The cramp was something I could never have factored for. I was fueled sufficeiently before and during the race. I felt so ready for the race and the first half was so easy that I know fitness and ability wise I have it in me to break the 3 hour barrier.

Respect again to all the graduates and best wishes to those having a crack at it in the near future.

Right on Hereford...

Wow, lanky, sorry to hear that.

Your experience is exactly what I was afraid of in the final few miles of Chicago. My cramps were not the painful, sharp, complete contractions that I've experienced before (mostly when mountain bike racing). Instead, they were kind of weaker muscle contractions, not really painful, but enough to make me break my stride and almost enough to make me walk. Luckily I was able to keep them under control by easing off on my pace, otherwise I'm sure I would have finished like you.

Anyone have any training tips (or race day tips) for preventing these things? I'm thinking some fast finish long runs -- where you empty the tank over the last mile or so -- might help during training. Other ideas?

DLJ

Lanky,

Sorry to hear about the cramps ruining your chances. Cngratulations on a great run anyway and rest well before coming back for another shot. I intend to still be hear and you are a lot closer than I am.

kcam

Lanky - nice shot, man!  You PR'd, right?  That time is so close, I feel sure you'll get it on your next try.

Negatives: Feels like I've wasted 12 weeks of my life, I'll never have  a better opportunity to crack 3hours what with the weather, the course, the condition I was in on race day, a fellow club runner pacing me perfectly etc. Do I want to invest so much physical and mental effort again to train for another race for something so out of nowhere to happen like that again?

That's the breaks in marathoning, welcome to the club!  I think most of us have had those days when something out of the blue comes between us and the goal.  Keep training and, maybe, don't focus so much on the marathon.  My stupid, idiotic, what-the-heck-am-I-thinking marathon is this weekend and if I don't hit my goal I won't feel too bad about it as I've had a GREAT year running and racing at a bunch of other distances.  Just tryin' to say it can sure help to not put all your eggs in one basket race!  Stick around and have another crack at it.

Lanky - I'd guess most of us have been derailed the last few miles in a good marathon by cramps.  The last two marathons I took electrolyte tablets twice a day for 2 weeks prior to the race no matter the weather conditons or intensity of workouts.   I was fortunate this time to have gotten thru without cramps.  It might have been all mental but whatever; it worked this time.

Gather yourself and when you're ready take another shot at it; next time might be the perfect complete race.

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

Lanky, sorry to hear you missed the sub 3 because of cramps - nightmare!

But as Ken says, looking at the year as a whole you've run some fantastic times at the half, 10k & 5k.  The sub 3 will be yours the next time for sure.