Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

kcam

I dunno Ryan - it mighta been the arm-warmers.  You need to be pretty fast to pull off the arm-warmer look.

Seriously, good run and good attitude about it - get back on and try again. 

A good informational thread for all of us to read is the 3 Hour Long Run - How Often.  Great discussion on training, some expert information coming up over there.

This picture is priceless!  Where did you get it? 

Dennis 'Dj' Mihora takes pictures of many of the local races and makes them available for free at his website. Here's a link to the gallery with 264 pictures before his camera ran out of memory. He also caught you on the second loop.

Another local, George Williams took some photos on Las Positas and has a facebook gallery.

Finally check out these awesome character photographs:

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
      DoppleBock

I can not speak to his fashion senses, but some of us just have bad form.  It means that we end up working even harder to make up for the handicap. 

I have aweful form ... a low arm shuffly type of run.  This could look like me, except I weigh 40+ pounds more than that.  So it could be worse, you could have been beaten by an old fat guy with no fashion sense and horrible form.

So at least you have that going for you!

Seriously good race!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

John, sorry to hear you had a bad race.  May be you got some bugs just prior to the race!  I hope you would try a full again in future after you figure out what went wrong.  You are going to do very well in your next race, I am sure.

Geo

ChakaKahn is being modest. Read his race report - he was second overall! Nice one dude.

I sneaked a peak at the CIM results and unless I'm getting George's name wrong he did awesome but I'll leave him to narrate his tale.

Just want to say hi to everyone and introduce myself.  I finished CIM with a time of 3:08:08 yesterday.

I know I probably still don't belong here yet.  But I would like to go sub 3:04 at Boston next Apr. If I can do that, I will make a really strong attempt to get sub 3 at Chicago next year!

bhearn

Just want to say hi to everyone and introduce myself.  I finished CIM with a time of 3:08:08 yesterday.

I know I probably still don't belong here yet.  But I would like to go sub 3:04 at Boston next Apr. If I can do that, I will make a really strong attempt to get sub 3 at Chicago next year!

FWIW, I ran 3:04:24 at CIM last year, and 2:59:38 at Boston this year. But I did lose several pounds, significantly raise the bar on my training, and pace Boston perfectly to do it.

DoppleBock

You belong here - You are working toward the goal - Welcome

Knock on wood - My training post Monkey has been really great.   I am starting to feel it.  15 pounds yet to lose (Current 205#) and 8 good weeks of training ... this might be fun!

el Jeffe

I ran 3:02:42 at the Royal Victoria Marathon in October, and followed that up with my highest mileage month ever in November in hopes of running 2:55 at the Rock And Roll Las Vegas Marathon last weekend. Things were looking good until the airline canceled our flight at the last possible minute and we were unable to scramble to get another flight down to Vegas in time.

So I'll try again at the BMO Vancouver Marathon in 2010. My PR for the course is 3:10:10, and it'll be my 4th time running the course. My ultimate goal isn't sub 3, it's 2h55... a NYCQ.  

Other notes: This year I ran the 113th Boston Marathon, terribly, in 3h16 and finished Ironman Canada, poorly, in 11h55. I also ran the Seattle Rock and Roll Half Marathon in 1h25.

bhearn

I ran 3:02:42 at the Royal Victoria Marathon in October, and followed that up with my highest mileage month ever in November in hopes of running 2:55 at the Rock And Roll Las Vegas Marathon last weekend. Things were looking good until the airline canceled our flight at the last possible minute and we were unable to scramble to get another flight down to Vegas in time.

That's a real shame. But you are trained up now; why wait 'til May? Victoria is not an especially fast course; if you ran 3:02:42 there, you were probably already in sub-3 shape on a really fast course. Which, BTW, Vancouver is not. (Actually I was chatting with a Vancouver rep at the CIM expo. Told her I lived there, and ran the marathon this year. She asked if I'd be back next year... I said to be honest, I wasn't thrilled with the course. The main thing is, there's too much concrete. She looked a little sheepish, and agreed; saying yeah, they do need a new course.)

Are you in/near Victoria? There are quite a few options up there. Actually one of the best would have been the Birch Bay Ghost Marathon, which is, alas, today. Check out the Marathon Maniacs' race calendar; it is heavily biased towards races in the northwest, and a lot of smaller races show up there that you won't find on marathonguide.com:

http://www.marathonmaniacsdb.com/maniacs/UpcomingRaces.asp

el Jeffe

It's true, Vancouver is a tough course, but I know it well and can get a good night's sleep in my own bed the night before. After the big let down of not being able to run Vegas, I really need some time away before I regroup and try again. I've already shifted my focus back towards cycling and swimming base, I will start running seriously again in January. Thanks for the race recommendations, I will give them a look. 

That's a real shame. But you are trained up now; why wait 'til May? Victoria is not an especially fast course; if you ran 3:02:42 there, you were probably already in sub-3 shape on a really fast course. Which, BTW, Vancouver is not.

If you're accepting 2010 Sub-3 Hour hopefuls,  count me in.  My 1st serious attempt will be the Country Music Marathon in Nashville, Tennessee on April 24th.  I've run 2 Half Marathons there (PR 1:35:05 in 2008) and had a poor 1st Marathon experience there last year (3:54Tight lippedx.)  I was training for the 1/2 and decided 4 weeks out to run the full.  The weather and lack of emphasis on Marathon Pacing in the long run through out my training got me. 

I'm currently in week 2 of 20 of training.  I've adapted a plan from Brad Hudson and Matt Fitzgerald's book, Run Faster From the 5K to the Marathon:  How to Be Your Own Best Coach.

DoppleBock

Welcome Thomas 12 - Looks like you are starting off with a bang - back to back 70 mile weeks.

I personally love training heavy during the winter season as there is not much else to do in WI unless you snowmobile or ski.  Although I will be adding some snowshoing again this year.

bhearn

I'm currently in week 2 of 20 of training.  I've adapted a plan from Brad Hudson and Matt Fitzgerald's book, Run Faster From the 5K to the Marathon:  How to Be Your Own Best Coach.

Let us know how that works for you. I just picked that up, haven't read it yet.

The Thunder

If you're accepting 2010 Sub-3 Hour hopefuls,  count me in.  My 1st serious attempt will be the Country Music Marathon in Nashville, Tennessee on April 24th.  I've run 2 Half Marathons there (PR 1:35:05 in 2008) and had a poor 1st Marathon experience there last year (3:54Tight lippedx.)  I was training for the 1/2 and decided 4 weeks out to run the full.  The weather and lack of emphasis on Marathon Pacing in the long run through out my training got me. 

Let me be the first to tell you, "I'm sorry you didn't reach your goal". 

I base this on nothing more than knowing that the CMM is NOT kind to ambitious marathon attempts. 

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

DoppleBock

Let me be the first to tell you, "I'm sorry you didn't reach your goal". 

I base this on nothing more than knowing that the CMM is NOT kind to ambitious marathon attempts. 

Neither is HH Flying Monkey Marathon