Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

Wet Bus Ticket

Hi - first time posting... I ran 3:07:58 in Amsterdam last weekend, so having qualified for Boston I am thinking about running that in 09, and will be targeting sub-3 hours. Put me down as a hopeful! One thing I am interested in is how long should I be waiting after a marathon before getting back on the horse?
      What a thrill it was to see Ken come around that last corner and start motoring towards the 26-mile mark where I was standing. At this point in the race there were fairly big gaps between runners and I could see that someone was about to turn the corner. I said to myself "this one had better be Ken" or he could be in trouble. Low an behold, it was him! When I double checked my watch I knew he had it as long as he wasn't in survival shuffle mode. He looked as good or better than than he had at 17 miles. "You got it, you got it, you got it" was all I could say, and just kept shouting it. This is no easy course, btw. Not what you would call brutal, but definitely harder than average. I checked a list of 179 marathons and their BQ percentages. Silicon valley ranked 108/179, putting it in the toughest 40%. Again, great race Ken. The 2nd age group was nice, but the 8th overall was definitely the most impressive to me. At 47 you are the oldest "graduate" to date.
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
        Big grin Well, I raced today. A big Bowling Green, KY 10K classic that once drew top elites back in the early 80's when it was the Wendy's Classic. Breakout race for me. I've now met two of the equivalent qualifying (5k-10k) times listed in Jims chart on page one. pRED PRed by 1:02 with a 38:35!!! I even feel some was left out there due to windy conditions, hilly sections and being caught in no mans land for the last half. My longest race prior to the marathon will be next Saturday's 10 miler. I probably do not have enough training time left to get to where I need to be for sub-3 attempt on December 13th, but I'll attempt it anyway and learn how to better prepare next year. I need the experience anyway. This is only my second racing seaon, and I realize from the info you guys give that it will come with years, not weeks and months. MTA: Amy Barrow won the womens GM division in 40 and some change!!!
        And congratulations to you too, Ricky! Ain't it a bummer when you run a great race and have these marathoners steal your thunder? This one definitely puts you in the hunt. Well done!
        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          Hi - first time posting... I ran 3:07:58 in Amsterdam last weekend, so having qualified for Boston I am thinking about running that in 09, and will be targeting sub-3 hours. Put me down as a hopeful! One thing I am interested in is how long should I be waiting after a marathon before getting back on the horse?
          Welcome, Wet Bus Ticket. Nice handle too Cool. I'll put you down for Boston '09.
            Awesome job, Ken. Congrats!

Runners run

Way to go Ken!
              DoppleBock

The time depends on you, I think the normal response is 1 week totally off - next week - easy jogs - then some base building weeks to get your mileage back up. Me ... I have run 2 tough marathons, 1 easy one since mid-august - I have taken 1 day off - not to recover, but It was 18 hour work day. Congrats on the 3:07. I ran Boston this year, but most my friends said its a great marathon to go and enjoy - I ran 95-97% effort and enjoyed the day, I was around 21 minutes slower than my Q time. but I did not care - It was good fun! Of course, I was far from in PR shape at the time.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Congrats Ken! Enjoy and have a speedy recovery! Big grin
                  Dave
                  "Run like hell and get the agony over with."
                  --- Clarence DeMar
                    Great race Ken. Congratulations! Thanks you Jim for your vote of confidence. I need it for these guys are pouring on the pressure!

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Right on Hereford...

Ken, great job out there! I knew you could do it. Geez, there is a far better success rate on this thread than on any of the other goal threads. Based on that, I think a sub-3 marathon must be easier than a sub-40 10k or even a sub-20 5k, lol! Just kidding, folks. Ricky, great job on your 10k, too!
                      DoppleBock

Ken, great job out there! I knew you could do it. Geez, there is a far better success rate on this thread than on any of the other goal threads. Based on that, I think a sub-3 marathon must be easier than a sub-40 10k or even a sub-20 5k, lol! Just kidding, folks. Ricky, great job on your 10k, too!
                        Its our careful screening process, followed by the excellent support system. We only let studs in and then we work them hard! Big grin

King of Sparta

Well done Ken - fantastic time on what sounds like a tough course. You can add another graduate to the list: I'm just back from finishing Dublin in 2:58:35, so I'm delighted with that. Went through half way in 1:29:40 and then managed to pick it up for the next 10km or so before slowing back down to exactly 3 hour pace for the last 10km. My calves are in bits now, so I'm off to soak in a nice warm bath. No ice bath for me, I'm afraid. It was only about 50 degrees F on the course, so I need a bit of warming up.
                          2008 Goals:
                          - Sub 1:00 10 mile
                          - Sub 3:00 marathon

Bruno

Great job Ken and Daithiwk!
                            DoppleBock

Well done Ken - fantastic time on what sounds like a tough course. You can add another graduate to the list: I'm just back from finishing Dublin in 2:58:35, so I'm delighted with that. Went through half way in 1:29:40 and then managed to pick it up for the next 10km or so before slowing back down to exactly 3 hour pace for the last 10km. My calves are in bits now, so I'm off to soak in a nice warm bath. No ice bath for me, I'm afraid. It was only about 50 degrees F on the course, so I need a bit of warming up.
                              Like I said - We only let studs in - Great effort 1:29:40 / 1:28:55 - Now that is a pacing gem.

DoppleBock

There is no pressure on Wayfool, JDF or myslef to deliver this next weekend Tongue I am not sure I can be like UPS this race ... I ran 2:58 on 10/11, followed by a 129 mile next week and a 120 mile week last week. I have called it my anti-taper as this is not a goal race. But ... This is the sub 3:00 thread, so I am tapering this week and will give it my best effort.