Desert Runners - documentary (Read 132 times)

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

Not sure where this should be posted, but I wanted to share... I ran across the documentary Desert Runners out on NETFLIX the other night. They followed a group of folks trying to run Ultras thru the 4 great deserts of the world all in the same year. Gave me a whole new perspective on my weekend long run ...

Tim 

That's funny, I just dropped that into my Netflix queue over the weekend - now I'll need to move it up to the top of the list.

If I can take a break from Peaky Blinders, that is.

HappyFeat

Gave me a whole new perspective on my weekend long run ...

Agree wholeheartedly. Like you said, it showed what their personal experience of such a challenge was like. I would have liked it more if there were more specifics on distances run and such.  I couldn't follow the graphs they occasionally flashed.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

GinnyinPA

I think I saw that on cable, plus a shorter film on the making of the documentary.  It was really good.  I thought they did a run on every continent? I know there was a run in Antarctica.  Major commitment in any case of time, money and effort.

Ha, I also just discovered this one on Netflix online & added it to my (already lengthy) list.

Dave

NHLA

Watched it. Also check out Mile Mile & 1/2. and Marathon about an autistic boy running 3 hr marathon. and 4 min. mile.

Just watched it. Truly amazing stuff. My only beef was that it was naturally targeted at a general audience rather than to runners, so I would've liked to see a lot more detail on pacing strategy, gear, nutrition, etc.

Dave

HappyFeat

Just watched it. Truly amazing stuff. My only beef was that it was naturally targeted at a general audience rather than to runners, so I would've liked to see a lot more detail on pacing strategy, gear, nutrition, etc.

Me too!  I completely agree with you.

Just watched another good one on Netflix - Run for Your Life, the story of Fred Lebow who started the NYC Marathon.

Dave

Joann Y

I just recently watched a pretty terrible running movie called 4 Minute Mile. The only redeeming thing is that the guy kind of looks like he could maybe run a 5 minute mile. Desert Runners was interesting and worth a watch, I guess. The best running movie that I have watched recently has got to be Running Madness. You can watch it for free online. Footage from the 2002 Western States 100 including a goofy looking Scott Jurek. This is one that I would recommend.

Hip Redux

OK, we just downloaded it from Netflix and have it loaded up.  The internet is so helpful, I might have ended up watching Big Bang Theory reruns again otherwise. Big grin

Kalsarikännit

Just watched another good one on Netflix - Run for Your Life, the story of Fred Lebow who started the NYC Marathon.

I loved this.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

HappyFeat

The best running movie that I have watched recently has got to be Running Madness. You can watch it for free online. Footage from the 2002 Western States 100 including a goofy looking Scott Jurek. This is one that I would recommend.

Thanks for the recommendation, Joann! There went my evening :-) I really enjoyed that!