How hard is it to know if an elite athlete is a woman? (Read 2189 times)

Feeling the growl again

There are a number of developmental conditions, including both hormonal and genetic abnormalities, which can make it very difficult to truly determine sex.

The only part of the Science of Sport article I take issue with is including a psychologist on the team of investigators needed to determine sex.  From an athletic perspective, her psychology is irrelevant.  Thinking she is one sex or another has no bearing on where her performances belong.

Normal chromosomal sex determination is XX (female) or XY (male).  What do you do in the rare circumstances that someone is, say XXY?  This is not hypothetical, it does happen.  Are they excluded from both groups by default, forced into the more difficult performance pool (men), or do you default to what the hormones finally decided to be their final secondary sex characteristics?

Throw in pseudohermaphroditism, where the baby/child will appear fully female and their "maleness" only becomes apparent when they fail to start menstration and develop some secondary male characteristics instead of female and it gets even messier.

It's just a bad, bad situation and I feel sorry for her if she ends up being in any of these circumstances.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Doug B and Trent: hug it out, bitches.

As a 98.6% male and 86% human I am offended by your description of me as a female dog. 

forced into the more difficult performance pool (men)

doesn't that seem like the only fair thiing to do?  why ruin the competition for people at an unfair disadvantage.  I assume 1,000's of women are training for track and field and would love to have that gold medal.  Should the 1,000's be denied to make the world more accepting of the one? 

ethical debate insues... where's a philosopher to chime in? 

#artbydmcbride

Aren't transgendered athletes allowed to compete in their new gender?  

If an athlete is hermaphroditic couldn't she/he choose a single gender and get whatever reassignment surgery and hormonal supplements needed?   (I'm not suggesting they should or would want to, but for competition purposes)

Runners run

an amazing likeness

doesn't that seem like the only fair thiing to do?  why ruin the competition for people at an unfair disadvantage.  I assume 1,000's of women are training for track and field and would love to have that gold medal.  Should the 1,000's be denied to make the world more accepting of the one? 

[serious question mode]

In considering directing the athlete to the sport where their sex would impart no advantage, who / how is it determined which sex is at advantage in what sport ?  Who should make that call? 

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Feeling the growl again

Actually, the alternative is to not let them in either group if you can't figure which they are.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xor

<computer science joke>

You'll be waiting on the philosophers for awhile.  They are currently dining.

And this is a problem.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

<computer science joke>

You'll be waiting on the philosophers for awhile.  They are currently dining.

And this is a problem.

Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Semenya wins easily...

Semenya is 18.  So it almost seems like either nobody else wins for the next 15 years or Semenya is not eligible. 

Dave

She's a man, baby.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

[serious question mode]

In considering directing the athlete to the sport where their sex would impart no advantage, who / how is it determined which sex is at advantage in what sport ?  Who should make that call? 

I'm not sure how to determine advantage or who should make that call...but...most (all?) sports at a competitive level seem to be separated by gender.

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

wyerock

Aren't transgendered athletes allowed to compete in their new gender?  

If an athlete is hermaphroditic couldn't she/he choose a single gender and get whatever reassignment surgery and hormonal supplements needed?   (I'm not suggesting they should or would want to, but for competition purposes)

I think this is where the endocrinologist comes in.  If "her" hormones say she is a man, then she should probably compete as a man, or see if medicine can correct those levels (so she doesn't get any more manly).

Hawt and sexy

The thing is, what if she is not transgendered?  Andy hit it on the head when he brought up xxy.  She would be considered female (xx) with an extra chromosome (y).  If she identifies with the female gender, then that is what she is, even though in reality, she is truly a bit of both. Looking at the pics, I kinda think this may be the case.  I have been watching the night reruns, so i will get to see her run later. 

All I can say is that if she is xxy, I am kinda jealous that she may not have to relearn how to run after getting hips.  That sucked and if she gets to skip that, more power to her.

I'm touching your pants.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

She would be considered female (xx) with an extra chromosome (y). 

Why could she not be considered male (xy) with an extra chromosome (x)?

Hawt and sexy

It is my understanding that there is no xyx, they are all xxy.  I don't know or understand why, because I am a hard science person. Andy is my soft science guy, and I am sure he can explain why, or correct me if I am wrong.  All I am going on is a show I saw once on that there Discovery Channel.

I'm touching your pants.