How hard is it to know if an elite athlete is a woman? (Read 2189 times)

This thread reminds me of the SNL sketch featuring Pat. I could find no suitable video, so...

to confuse this issue further, take a look at this vid.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Right on Hereford...

I think it's pretty clear that if Semenya turns out to be a man, she will also be surprised. So, it wouldn't be right to call her a "cheat," even if she is disqualified.

I agree it wouldn't be right to call her a cheat, regardless of the test results. I do believe she's been raised as a female and believes herself to be female.

But, the tests are supposed to show whether an athlete is "entirely female." If she doesn't pass this test, it doesn't mean she's a man. She may very well turn out to be neither. Or both. Or something else.

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

jpnairn

straw man

This thread reminds me of the SNL sketch featuring Pat.

Here's almost 4 minutes from "It's Pat!" the movie.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

jpnairn

straw man

What I don't want to see is "womens" sports becoming a competition amongst the world's most athletic transexuals.

Apologies to all transexuals I may have upset.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

INCgirl ...

For real ... some valuable insight.

For not so real: I'm diggin your avatar singlet.

Imminent Catastrophe

Sit him/her down and make him/her watch "Beaches". Watch his/her reaction. You'll know.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sit him/her down and make him/her watch "Beaches". Watch his/her reaction. You'll know.

You are the wind beneath my wings...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

You are the wind beneath my wings...

OK, you're a chick.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

OK, you're a chick.

Well, I never really liked that movie or most chick-flicks...but I do look good in a corset (unlike the runner in question, I assume), so I have that going for me... Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

We'll never know without pictures. Just sayin'.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We'll never know without pictures. Just sayin'.

Can I just have DH vouch...? Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Can I just have DH vouch...? Big grin

Yes. Post a photo and below it a copy of his voucher.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Now that women are starting to win some of the longer ultras outright....

I think that any man who places in the top 3 should be tested to prove that he is, in fact, 100% male.  Coz if he were female he would have an unfair advantage in the longer races.

Hey, nice marmot!

Purdey's got a point.  I read somewhere that women do have an advantage at very long distances.  I think it has something to do with fat stores.  Maybe, I'm not sure.

As for Semenya, I don't think she has a chance.  Fact of the matter is that she improved her 800m time by 8 seconds since last October.  But worse than that, she's just beaten the world's best by more than 2 seconds at the ripe old age of 18.  Someone else already said it.  If she's allowed to compete, then no one else wins for at least the next 10 years.  I don't see that being allowed to happen.

When someone comes onto the world stage and dominates that much, they'd better be bulletproof, because people will come out of the woodwork to take them down.  Look at Bolt.  He barely crossed the finish line before people started talking about steroids.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens