GARMIN 305 LAP TIMES DISPLAY (Read 2033 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

I have set my garmin to auto lap every mile so that i can have a look at my mile splits after.

Is there a definitive way for something to pop up after each mile and actually give out my lap time?

I know it exists on the garmin as I figured a way to get it to come up, but I was hoping there is an actual setting or something that I have missed.

Here is how I do it. Whilst running and coming up to a completed mile I keep stopping and starting the time on the watch, in rapid succession until eventually the watch will beep as I have gone through a mile. By doing this, on miles thereafter I get a mile time pop up. I dont like the fact that I have to do this, as it can be quite annoying having to do it whilst runnning especially if I am going fast, and the fact that it is not 100% assured, (I would therefore need to wait until the next completed mile is approaching)

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

WIth auto-lap on, my 305 does a pop-up every mile with the lap # and the lap time. I don't remember having to do anything special to make it do this pop-up.

Since you are having to start/stop and what not, you may want to try doing a hard reset of the garmin to reset the factory defaults and reset-up the auto-lap.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

WIth auto-lap on, my 305 does a pop-up every mile with the lap # and the lap time. I don't remember having to do anything special to make it do this pop-up.

Since you are having to start/stop and what not, you may want to try doing a hard reset of the garmin to reset the factory defaults and reset-up the auto-lap.

+1

I have my 305 set to auto lap every KM.  I don't recall setting any specific feature/option but at the end of the lap my time for the completed lap pops up and stays on the screen for 15 maybe 20 seconds.

You could use "Lap Pace" as one of the displays on the screen so you would have a good idea of pace at any point during the lap.

Slow-smooth-fast

strange eh, i know i could use lap pace, but this was just niggling me. Will try hard reset. Thanks.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

I set my 301 to auto lap every mile and it will beep, then display the split pace automatically in a display box. It keeps the box on the screen for several secands, but it also takes a few seconds to display after the mile is completed, its not instantanious. OP, maybe the first mile you need to be patient and wait a little for the box to pop up. Like I stated earlier, mine beeps when the screen is displayed and thats when I look at it.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Hi Eddy.

I know this may seem like a silly question but you are pressing the start/stop button at the beginning of your run aren't you?

otherwise, like the other posters, mine just does it.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Definitely sounds like a malfunction.  Auto-Lap pops up the time for me every mile, and I only hit start/stop at the end of a run, and almost never hit lap.

One thing you can do is have one of your display fields be Last Lap time and/or Last Lap pace.  This way you can see what your time/pace was even if you miss the pop-up.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Mine doesn't pop-up either...I didn't even realize that it could/should do that. Although I do get a beep at every mile. 

Prince of Fatness

Are you running a programmed workout?  Auto lap is disabled if you are doing that.

Not at it at all. 

If you have activated the backlight at any time during the run, the backlight will come on when (or in this case if...)  the lap information displays.  Depending on the lighting conditions, it can make it easier to notice the pop-up.

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Mine doesn't pop-up either...I didn't even realize that it could/should do that. Although I do get a beep at every mile. 

Actually on my lunch-time run today I noticed that mine does in fact pop-up a lap pace, but it only stays up for like one second and is covered by a box that says 'distance alert' that comes up each mile as well. Will have to see if I can fix that. I never realized it showed lap pace at each mile. 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

How may display screens do you have set? 2-3-4?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Marylander

There is auto lap that records laps and beeps at intervals you set (e.g., every mile) and then there's also an alert setting that just beeps at intervals you set (which can be different from what you set auto lap to). Auto lap will display your time for that lap while alert will not. I've got both of them turned on...

Kirk

On On

Can someone tell me how to set the auto lap function?  I can't seem to find it online.

an amazing likeness

Start with the Forerunner in the mode (running, biking, other) you want to add auto-lap.

Then push the Mode button to bring up the menus --> Training -> Training Options -> Auto Lap.

Set the auto-lap trigger (distance or time).

Set the auto-lap value (distance or time).

Sorry if I don't get it exactly right, that's from memory, but should be about the right steps.  It definitely is under Training menu in the Training Options.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.