I want to help newbies. (Read 210 times)

I was an active member on this forum years ago- like 10 years ago and kinda drifted away. Was going through some of my running memorabilia and came across some printed comments from a post on here years ago. Rekindled my desire to help folks get to love running and be life time runners. Olympic running aspirations probably should look elsewhere.

Have helped 100’s of runners over the years. My mantra is to slow down, you will get faster with less likelihood of overuse injuries and become lifetime runners. I think my 88,3xx running miles over the last 42 years is enough of a credential. I still run 40-50miles a week and express gratitude daily for the gift of my passion for running and ability to be able to run. The passion remains strong even at 74!!

Jawihan

Long Run Nick, I just wanted to say hello as I am also 74 and somewhat of a newbie as I started jogging for the 1st. time ever June 2015. I fell into the too much, too fast(for me) too soon category and have had several nagging injuries. Currently, I,m on IR from my team (Easier Said Than Run). I stopped running Jan.20 due to Plantar Fasciitis. Going to physio tomorrow. I expect that it will be quite some time before I can run again but when I do, it will be at at a very slow pace and short distances.

Cheers and Welcome back to the forum

Jim

Hey Jim, sorry about the PF issue. That injury can be pesky. Foolishly, years ago I attempted to run through it(it has always been easier for me to tell other runners to rest some than for myself). Hopefully you can get some help. One thing I found that worked was doing kind of wall push ups- but gentle stretches. I tell folks stretch like cars and dogs do. Slow and EZ. Nick

BeeRunB

LRNick, where the hell ya been? Good to see you posting, and that it's not from the afterlife through my Ouija board. 

MohMinnesota

Welcome on board. Looking to hear more about your running stories.

One note, I thought PF was on of these injuries that you could still run on it if MANAGAEBLE.

I'm experiencing a PF like pain started a week ago. It is very painful during the 1st 8-10 min of my run, then it settle into a mild discomfort. I plan to continue run on it until I can no longer run 

10K: (44:33)   13.1 (1:41:48)    26.2 - TwinCities17 (3:49:07) 

LRNick, where the hell ya been? Good to see you posting, and that it's not from the afterlife through my Ouija board. 

Hey man, glad you are still around and running-I hope. I sure miss Cool Running. Remember, no finish line.

Welcome on board. Looking to hear more about your running stories.

One note, I thought PF was on of these injuries that you could still run on it if MANAGAEBLE.

I'm experiencing a PF like pain started a week ago. It is very painful during the 1st 8-10 min of my run, then it settle into a mild discomfort. I plan to continue run on it until I can no longer run 

As you read in my post I have run through PF- 1x successfully and 1x when I almost crippled myself. Got on a bike and rode 100-200 miles a week for a couple months. It went away and hopefully stays away.

You might try doing some ez Achilles stretches against a wall- gentle. Then when you go out to run-WALK about 1 mile- gently start slogging- that is slow jogging, then gradually pick up the pace.

Bedore getting out of bed or off the couch have a towel and place it at the bottom of your w/o shoes and gently pull the towel towards you so stretch the area.

Ice before and after. I found rolling my foot on a frozen can seemed to help.. I”llsend you a billSmile

Oh yeah, avoid walking barefooted. Nick

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I found rolling my foot on a frozen can seemed to help.

Even more useful can be a frozen plastic water bottle.  Get one with bumpy sides and it can work better than a smooth can, much as a bumpy roller helps more.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

kkittenkat

English Villian

Even more useful can be a frozen plastic water bottle.  Get one with bumpy sides and it can work better than a smooth can, much as a bumpy roller helps more.

A second vote for the water bottle.

SMART Approach

I was an active member on this forum years ago- like 10 years ago and kinda drifted away. Was going through some of my running memorabilia and came across some printed comments from a post on here years ago. Rekindled my desire to help folks get to love running and be life time runners. Olympic running aspirations probably should look elsewhere.

Have helped 100’s of runners over the years. My mantra is to slow down, you will get faster with less likelihood of overuse injuries and become lifetime runners. I think my 88,3xx running miles over the last 42 years is enough of a credential. I still run 40-50miles a week and express gratitude daily for the gift of my passion for running and ability to be able to run. The passion remains strong even at 74!!

Hey Nick, welcome back. I miss those Cool Running days.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com