Sore Ankles (Read 896 times)

Hey gang... I'm a forefoot/midfoot runner and my left ankle has been kinda "squirrelly" the last couple weeks...I'm not sure if it's some sort of tendonitis or what, but on my longer runs it starts to just ache, when I'm running too slow... I noticed today that if I pick up my pace (was getting pumped up and towards the end of my run) it didn't really bug me at all, but I've had to stop and walk for 30 seconds before picking it back up again... Thoughts? Roll eyes
    "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
      No thoughts on this? Anybody have any aches like this? Confused
      "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
        Hey David, The advice I've learned is that if it's sore and goes away while running - then keep on running. If it hurts all or most of the time and especially while running - then it's time to stop running - maybe even see a doctor.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Is it your achilles? Mine has been a real PITA for a few months, now...doesn't get any worse, doesn't get any better. If I stopped running completely it would probably heal completely...eh, but that ain't gonna happen. I'd say maybe take it easier for a couple of weeks and see if that helps.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks, Bonkin & zoom-zoom... Like I said, it only seems to really bug me when I'm running long and slow...The last few runs I've been around 7:30-8:30 pace and haven't had any issues...Weird... Thanks for the input though, and I'll just keep an eye on it....Still have 80 miles left to go this month to hit 1000K for the year...

The reason that the pain subsides when you are running quicker could be because your adrenalin levels are higher. With any pain that doesn't go completely after a while, I say get a physio to check it out. Better to be safe than sorry isn't it.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Maybe adrenaline, but more likely is that when your pace picks up you use different muscles and your footstrike changes. These cause you to move the effort onto a different, healthier set of tendons and ligaments.
                  more likely is that when your pace picks up you use different muscles and your footstrike changes.
                  I was wondering about that, but it's aggravating that I can't have a good footstrike going slow too, with no repetitive injuries... Undecided

Runner

I am a forefoot striker too, and I was experiencing similar pains. I went with some powerstep insoles that had more arch support and all of a sudden that pain disappeared. If you have high arches this might be a good way to go to see if it helps. I have also just bought online(can't get at local shop) some of the heat moldable footbeds from SOLE. They claim to really help as well(and I'm a supinator and I think my running physics being somewhat strange lead to most shoes not working well with me). Good luck!

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

I am a forefoot striker too, and I was experiencing similar pains. I went with some powerstep insoles that had more arch support and all of a sudden that pain disappeared. If you have high arches this might be a good way to go to see if it helps. I have also just bought online(can't get at local shop) some of the heat moldable footbeds from SOLE. They claim to really help as well(and I'm a supinator and I think my running physics being somewhat strange lead to most shoes not working well with me). Good luck!
                      Hey thanks for the advice, do you have a good link to those footbeds? Pretty, pretty puh-leez? Wink

Runner

Here's the link to the SOLE heat moldable ones. http://www2.yoursole.com/ You can just google powersteps, and I think most running stores carry 'em. I buy all my stuff from a local running specialty store because their expertise and quality of gear is far and away better than trying to find good gear other places.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler