orthodics?? (Read 729 times)

Does anyone wear them?? Thoughts on them?? Has anyone worn them and decided to stop, if so any injuries?? Just wondering since I stopped wearing mine, then during my run had some pretty sharp "stretchy" pains in the sole of my foot.
      I wouldn't run a meter without orthotics in my shoes. I used to have serious piriformis problems before my orthotics and now I have very few issues. I have custom orthotics fitted by a pedorthist.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

find a combination that works for you... I have motion control shoes and orthotics...kill my legs mostly every time.. running in neutral shoes isn't really a problem....may want to try neutral shoes with orthotics..or motion control without orthotics...the orthotics shouldn't be too stiff...

ultramarathon/triathlete

I think I need them, or my POD things I need them, and I should get them. I have some OTC ones in my daily sneakers, but have yet to run with them. I overpronate on my right foot and my big toe is getting jammed and gets mildly sore but annoying. Anyone else have this problem?

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

I have been searching for the right combination of orthotics and shoes for about 8 months now, and I'm starting to think about dumping the orthotics altogether. Without orthotics, I was wearing motion control shoes with green superfeet insoles. I had the occasional knee pain and achilles tendonitis. In November I started wearing doctor-prescribed orthotics. After a few weeks I developed greater knee pain. So in December I went to RoadRunnerSports and was recommended neutral shoes. A different, more intense knee pain developed. In January I exchanged the neutral shoes for stability shoes. Ran for 2 months with reduced knee pain, but developed TA tendonitis and a stress fracture. In May I resumed running, and the doctor modified the orthotics to give them some heal lift. He also recommended I go back to motion control shoes. Now I'm running much less miles, at a much slower pace, and I still have minor knee pain, and I've recently developed peroneal tendonitis. So after 8 months of wearing the orthotics with different shoes styles, I still experience pain and injury from running. So even if the orthotics are not CAUSING the problem, they certainly don't seem to be HELPING it.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

ultramarathon/triathlete

----^ wow, that sucks. This is why I question all these methods in the first place and wonder if podiatrists know wtf they're talking about. I made an appt to see a sports dr next week as opposed to yet another POD. If he gives me any good pointers, I'll pass them on to you!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

Could not run without my orthotics. Had severe shin splits before orthotics, haven't had a problem since. I've had to change to a motion control shoe. Getting used to the orthotics sucks. Took several months and I have a follow up appt. today. My legs were not straight and the orthotics made them straight so the muscles and tendons had to get used to the new position. I think most people give up to early on orthotics. I go to a foot surgeon who personally casts your foot and makes specific measurements for the manufacturer. He checks you when you get them and periodically thereafter.

2008 Goals

Run Jax Bank 12/21/08 under 4 minutes (1st marathon)
                5K 23.99
                10K 50.40
                1/2 1:52
                Manage injuries so I can stick to training plan
                Make healthy food choices
                  I have custom orthotics. Had them made years ago for pf and bunion pain. (bones in top of foot grew at a weird angle, bunion slowly forming, bunion not that bad but between that & the weird bones, they're crushing nerves where the bunion is). Orthotics helped both problems tremendously. Then I got pregnant 6 years ago, had to go on bed rest. Stopped wearing orthotics (more because I was so tired with the new baby, I just plum forgot). Haven't had a single problem until the last couple months, the pf is coming back. If I wear the orthotics, the pf isn't bad. Trouble is, I don't have as many pairs of shoes anymore that they fit into, so until I go shopping, I'm stretching & icing, etc. to help the pf, in addition to orthotics.

Michelle

thanks for the input. Another run today....no orthodics (custom made ), some pain on sole but cleared up once I picked up my pace (new heart rate monitor and I love it). Surprisingly no knee or shin or ankle pain at all (probably something to do with the slow pace). Why does it seem all of a sudden orthodics are "the " answer to leg/foot pain...I was convinced until now. I'll just wear mine at work (12 hour shifts on a hard marble/ terazzo floor) Smile

Why is it sideways?

ortho-dics
                        lol...oops