Myrtle Beach Marathon Report 2-16-08 **Warning..long!** (Read 764 times)

Me and my RP

Myrtle Beach Marathon Race Report February 16th 2008 Official Finish Time 4 hrs 8 mins 8 secs Garmie Time 4 hrs 6 mins 22 secs Our trip started out on Friday morning. We live about 4 hours from the beach. My parents live half way between our house and the beach. We met them Friday morning around 11am and handed off the kids. 3 hours later, we finally reached Myrtle Beach. We went straight to the Runner's Expo. Well, I say straight but really we did a few loops around trying to find the entrance to the hotel. We finally found it and made our way into the hall. What a crowd of people!! It was all laid out very well. Bibs in one room, chips in another, shirts in the next. Then we found the actual 'expo' area and that's where all the fun began! Free beer and shopping..wooohooo! I picked up a few t shirts, stickers, magnets and a hat. Grabbed all the goodies I could find and then we headed back to car so we could find our hotel. We got checked in around 5pm. When I got into the room, I found a beautiful vase of flowers waiting for me on the coffee table. Rick and his wife, Tammy were kind enough to send them to help take my mind off the run. It worked Put a huge smile on my face. Thanks again, Rick and Tammy! We decided it was time to get something to eat so we headed towards the beach. I've been on a salmon kick lately and boy was I in the right place to get salmon! We had our dinner, headed back to hotel and that's when the nerves went wacky. I had to figure out what I was going to wear the next morning. I couldn't decide whether to wear shorts/capris or full length pants. I didn't know which jacket to take. I didn't know if Todd was going to be able to find me at the right times in order to pass my beans to me so I had to figure a way to carry those. Make a long story short, I wigged out a bit I had hoped to be asleep by 8pm but that didn't work. I finally drifted off around 10pm, just to wake up 4 hours later. I guess I was worried the alarm wouldn't go off, or maybe I was just plain worried. I stayed up until 4 and woke Todd. He popped downstairs and got some wheat toast and peanut butter for me and eggs/sausage for himself. We ate up and then it was time to get dressed. GAH! I didn't want to get dressed, I wasn't ready to go yet. Mentally, I was too tired but physically I was ok. We met another Greenville runner in the elevator. Chatted for a few mins and then went to the car to go to the start line. We arrived there around 530. I had an hour to kill. We wandered around, listened to the band and used the porta-pottys every 15 mins I wanted to be sure I didn't have the urge to go right at the start. The weather was nice, 52 degrees but a bit windy. I'm thinking the wind chill must have been in the mid 40s. We stood around, watching other runners get ready. It was interesting to see all the different types of people there. Some were obviously runners- tall, thin, muscular legs. Some were not, which made me feel much better as they were shaped like me So we found the 4 hour section and I got lined up. Started stretching a bit but did more looking around, absorbing everything I saw. I noticed we were getting close to the 630 mark so I kissed Todd goodbye so he could get up to the start line. The gun went off right at 630 and we headed out. About this time it dawned on me, I drank too much before the start. Crap! I was going to have to suck it up and deal with it. It took me about 3 mins to make it to the start line. We were packed in so tight, it was hard to move about. Once we hit the start line, things spread out some but not much. We stayed pretty much bunched up until around mile 3, when people started walking. I got rid of the iPod because it was just plain annoying at this point. Funny how it invaluable during my long runs in training but here I am at the marathon and it's just getting on my nerves. I had so much more fun listening to the conversation and meeting new people.Then I saw Todd on the corner and waved. I also saw the 14 mile marker on the same side of the street and felt a little trepidation. I had to remind myself, there's still 23 miles to go! During the first 3 miles, I saw numerous men darting off into the bushes to relieve themselves. I was incredibly jealous. They just stopped, reached up the leg of their shorts, peed, put things back in place and off the went. Someone somewhere needs to invent something like that for women. An attachment, SOMETHING! It's not fair that these men can just whip it out, pee and move on. It's a whole production for us women. Pull the pants down, pull the thong down, make a nest on the toilet, pee, pull the thong UP, pull the pants up, make sure everything is just where ya want so there's no uncomfortable chafing taking place while you run, etc. Anyway, I see the 4 mile water stop and spot the 2 (!!!!!) porta potties with SIX women standing in line. The woman lucky to get to the porta potty first was having 'other issues' because it was taking her AGES. I said screw it and started back to running. Around 4.5-5 mile mark, I ducked into a hotel and used their bathroom. That was it for the rest of the race. Dave was right, ya sweat out just about everything you take in during the run. So enough of the bathroom issues..I'm into mile 6, chomping on some sport beans and I look around. It hits me, THERE is the ocean!! Right off to my left. I was floored! What a gorgeous view. I could see forever! It was uplifting and motivational. I felt 10 feet tall! It also occured to me that I was surrounded by green (half marathoners) bibs. I thought, surely there wasn't a break and I missed it. Surely the halfers hadn't split from us and I totally spaced on it. I started searching for anyone with a white (full) bib on. Not ONE is sight! I was getting really nervous. I hadn't seen Todd in 4 or 5 miles at this point and I was almost certain I went the wrong way. Looking back now, there's no way that could have happened but hey, strange stuff goes through your mind when you're out running. Finally, I reached the 'touristy' bit of Myrtle Beach and came up on a group of runners. All white bibs..PHEW! On we go! Arond mile 11, I saw Todd again. What a relief to see a familiar face!! Mile 12 was passing and I realized we'd lose the halfers soon. As we came up on 12.9, the volunteers were shouting at the halfers that they only had to go around the corner and it was done! They were saying "You're doing great!! You're done!! You're in the home stretch!". Umm, yeah. I had 13 more miles to go. I looked around at the other full runners and gave them the same look they were giving me.. "Why did we sign up for the full???" As we passed the 14 mile marker, I looked across the street and saw the 25 mile marker. I had already been down this street once, was currently making my second pass and I was going to have to make a 3rd?!?! ****! We started running to the northern side of the beach around mile 16. This is the stretch that got lonely. I was looking at nearly every runner I was near, hoping to start a conversation but at this point, I just didn't have it in me. The spectators were amazing. There were residents standing in their yards with pom poms, stereos blasting and cheering us on. Nearly brought me to tears a few times. I wore my Greenville Track Club shirt and I kept hearing "Go Greenville". One gentelman I passed said "You're looking great, Greenville. God is with you, young lady." That did it, I felt SO much better after hearing that. He was *so* right! I passed two guys running around mile 17 and he shouts at me.."Hey, no fair! No passing!". I just giggled and went on. I saw Todd at mile 18 and felt relieved. It'd been ages since I saw him and I was getting worried. He cheered me on just like he had at the earlier stops and I felt rejuvinated again. That lasted until mile 21 when I started feeling tired. I walked for about a minute, when I hear.."Hey, no fair. No walking!" Same guy from earlier I thought, right! So I started running again and made it to mile 22 water station. Grabbed my water, tried to drink it entirely too fast, choked (idiot) and kept running. Mile 23 and 24 were ok, hard but ok. I saw Todd again at Mile 23 and yelled at him to get his butt to the finish. I was ready to wrap this thing up! I saw the mile 25 sign and felt like a million dollars. Someone behind me yelled, "Way to go, Speedy." It dawned on me that I was actually going to finish it! I didn't hit the 'wall', I didn't reach a point at anytime during the run when I didn't want to anymore. Amazing!! I saw the 26 mile marker sign and felt so **** good. I picked up the pace a smidge and heard someone say on the PA system.."And here's Marion Ice from Simpsonville"..made me feel so good!! Crossed the finish line, burst into tears, got my medal and headed to the car. Todd ran back and got my finishers shirt and then we went to the hotel for a much needed shower! So that's it folks. My first marathon is behind me. Someone once said that it's a life changing moment, finishing your first marathon. "Someone" was right. I feel different about myself, I feel powerful. I put my mind on something and I went out and did it. I think I did it well! Hey, I beat Katie Holmes' time! Thanks to my family, my online running pals (Jennifer,Rick, Tim,'Nick', Sara, Zoomy, Louise- hope I'm not leaving anyone out),my local running pals (Dave and Kristie), and my non-running friends who totally glazed over anytime I talked about running I really needed and very much appreciated your support, your gentle kicks in the ass and how excited you all were about this.. And to Todd..I can't say enough about how supportive he was through all this. A runner needs that. You need unconditional support. No questions asked, no griping. Just continual encouragement. He followed me on my long runs, carried water/gu/sport beans, cheered me on, motivated me and most of all, didn't complain. He knew I had to do this and he knew what it meant to me. So thanks, TW Oh and am I gonna do it again?? Hell yeah!!! (pics on my blog!) http://www.shutitandrun.blogspot.com __________________
      I just checked the picture version and am about to read your abridged (long) version. Cool Good job! Way to go on your first Marathon! You're fast! Does the hell yeah mean you are signing up for a 50K now? Big grin Hopefully, I'll be giving a good report on my first next week.

Vim

You ROCK!!! I'm so happy for you!! I loved the race report!! And I can't believe your fantastic time!! You've completely inspired me for my upcoming marathon!!
          Great job, Marion Wink Reading your report makes me excited about my first marathon in November, the Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon in northwest Georgia. I am just gearing up my training program and I am sure I will return to your report for motivation and inspiration. Thanks for the great report! Carole
          2010 Goals: (1) Run Hog Pen Hill Climb (a 17K up one of the north Georgia mountains) (January) (2) Run Callaway Half Marathon faster than last year (January) (3) Run 5 Points of Life Half Marathon (February)
            Again - I am proud of you - you did excellent!! So, are you sore Smile
            "Better to take the slow approach then the no approach."
            My Quest to a Marathon blog.262quest.com

Me and my RP

Thanks everyone! I really enjoyed my first marathon and can't wait to do another.
              Again - I am proud of you - you did excellent!! So, are you sore Smile
              Tim, Uh, yeah I'm a wee bit sore. Yesterday was tough, today is a bit easier. This morning was really rough but so long as I keep moving, I'm ok. What about YOU?? You rocked that half marathon!!! I need to pop over to your blog and read your race report. Well done and what a fantastic time!!

Me and my RP

Does the hell yeah mean you are signing up for a 50K now? Big grin
                Uh, no LOL I'm not sure I could get my brain to accept anything more than the 26.2 at this point, even if it is only 5 ish more milesSmile
                wanderingoutlaw

Great job on your first marathon! I enjoyed reading your race report and viewing the photos. Good luck at Reedy River in a couple of weeks.

John

What about YOU?? You rocked that half marathon!!! I need to pop over to your blog and read your race report. Well done and what a fantastic time!!
                    Yea, yesterday I was fine. I walked a bit (the food was a ways from the finish line - and had to get some foodSmile) and the rest of the day I felt good. This morning I had trouble getting out of bed Smile But as long as I keep moving I am fine...... just other than going down stairs Smile Tommorrow will be better, I don't feel any worse than when I did my 14 miler. Again - Congrats!! And thank you for the kind words Smile
                    "Better to take the slow approach then the no approach."
                    My Quest to a Marathon blog.262quest.com
                      Great report and congratulations on the accomplishment. That was a brilliant read.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, I beat Katie Holmes' time!
                        You do not know how many times I think to myself "hey, I'm slow...but I know I can beat KH and she's quite a bit younger and thinner than I am!" Wink Your race report is amazing...it sounds like you ran your race so well, you ran smart, and I know you will break 4 hours the next time--that's really fantastic for a first time race! Keep this up and I see a BQ in your future. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Awesome Job! You finished just a few minutes ahead of me! It truly is a great event and it sounds like you killed it! See you next year!
                            Congrats on a great race and a great race report! It's great to hear that you avoided "hitting the wall" and getting injured - two things that I'm concerned about leading up to my first full marathon in May in Frederick, MD. In addition to my training I may have to take some writing courses to keep up with all the wonderful race reports that I am reading on the RunningAhead forums!!!!
                              Nice weekend for RA marathoners, you kicked ass! These early season results have definitely raised the bar, I'd hate to have to follow you guys. Way to go Marion!

E.J.
                              Greater Lowell Road Runners
                              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Congrats again!!! I'm going to keep following you around telling you we need to hook up for a race. You know...the Rock n Roll is June 1st...you have all sorts of time to recover and retrain Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231