Snow Day (Read 561 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

(or ice) Crap...there goes my run. Gah, sometimes I REALLY wish I had a treadmill! Cry Had we known DS would have no school he and I could have slept in. No

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And the other thing that sucks...our local schools are in session, but Dane's school is in the next county, close to did's work. Did still has to go to work. Too bad it's not take-a-kid-to-work day... Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

va

If you want to train hard all winter, regardless of the weather, I recommend you join a gym. A gym gives you a lot more training options than a treadmill, but if all you want to do is run, a treadmill is a good idea...
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If you want to train hard all winter, regardless of the weather, I recommend you join a gym. A gym gives you a lot more training options than a treadmill, but if all you want to do is run, a treadmill is a good idea...
          The problem isn't the weather (I'd go run in this muck)...it's that I have a kid at home and I can't leave him unsupervised (he's 6). Our nearest full-scale gym is the Y--a half hour away, so if the roads are too bad for school I'd not want to drive to a gym, anyhow. Plus the Y pretty much requires a full year membership, which gets awfully expensive, especially since it's not close by and I'd not use it year-round...Poo.

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

The last 5 or 6 years in a row I've siad, "I'm definitely getting a treadmill before next winter." Still no treadmill. Maybe someday. Part of my problem is I have high standards and I only want to buy one if I can get a really good one...and that's expensive.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Part of my problem is I have high standards and I only want to buy one if I can get a really good one...and that's expensive.
              Yeah, that would definitely be an issue. I know treadmills are really one of those you-get-what-you-pay-for devices. Our house is cramped (old house, lots of small rooms...I'd rather have fewer, larger rooms with the same sq. footage)...but I actually have started to think crazy stuff like "gee, what if we got rid of the dining table and just ate on the sofa--then I'd have space for a TM!" Tongue Seriously, though...one of the requirements of our next home will be adequate space for a home gym--room for a TM, room for my weights and being able to lift them and do kickboxing workouts without risk of smacking into anything, room for did to have his bike on a trainer and not have to be in the unheated/uninsulated garage (and more than one closet in the whole danged house would be good, too).

~ Sarah Kay

va

If I were ever to buy a TM, I would look into getting a commercial quality one, perhaps used.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If I were ever to buy a TM, I would look into getting a commercial quality one, perhaps used.
                  That's a good idea. I wonder how often fitness clubs sell them off and what kind of condition they are in if/when they sell them. We have a chain that sells used fitness equipment, so that would be another place I would check, or even watching Craig's List or something like that. There are always people out there who buy a $$ piece of fitness equipment and then use it as a coat rack. k

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

I have one of those 100 year old houses too. The only place I could fit one is in the basement and that's because I'm only 5' 9". If I were much taller, I wouldn't have the ceiling clearance. Though our half finished basement is becoming more and more the kids playroom so we're running out of space down there too. I actually have done some research on it. I don't know if a used treadmill is a great idea if it was in a gym and getting constantly used. If someone who barely used it is getting rid of one that could work. I've wanted a Landice L7 for years. Many serious runners I know have them and they are by all accounts indestructable, very accrurate and they can go fast. The problem is they are huge bucks. The local YMCA where I used to be a member has a bunch of Precor treadmills. Those are probably "good enough" for my purposes and are like 1/3 the price of a Landice. Like I said, maybe someday.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Our basement is skeery (more of a cellar--the entrance is outside and it's unheated), otherwise that would be an option...but there are a ton of bugs down there, so I'd be worried that they'd get into the TM mechanism. Aren't old houses a joy? Our next house will hopefully have been built in my lifetime, or at least something built since WWII. I'd kill for a Usonian styled home, too. k

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

I don't know about since WWII. IMO you want a house that's at least 75 years old or not more than 15-20. For a period there say, 1950s to early 1990's, all home construction got really cheap and cheesy. My next house will likely be this house, renovated.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's true...I don't care for the vinyl-sided "ranches," for the most part (or McMansions like my brother's place...it's under 5 years old and REALLY shoddily built...he paid for quantity, not quality and is paying again in repairs). That's why I'd love to find a prairie-style or usonian home in good condition. No more major fixer-uppers/money pits. k

~ Sarah Kay

My house is old, about 70 years. It has it's issues but we'll keep it over getting a brand new house! We paid just 123,000 for it 7 years ago. A brand house just two lots down just sold for 365,000 a few months ago. Shocking! Our house used to be very drafty but we slowly replaced the windows and now it's not too bad. The front door has to be replaced next. And at some point we'll finish putting insulation in between the first floor and the basement. We really do need more space for our big family but before we know it the kids will be moving out, one by one and the house will be perfect. I'm fortunate enough that my mom bought my treadmill some years back. I'm a bit concerned now though, my treadmill has been making some strange noises and I know a new one isn't in the budget, since I'll want a bigger and better one. So, I'll be heading out into the cold to get my miles in...that thought is actually kind of nice, in some sick addicted runner's sort of way. Confused But until that day comes, I'll enjoy heading to the basement to get my boring dreadmill miles in.

Michelle

(or ice) Crap...there goes my run. Gah, sometimes I REALLY wish I had a treadmill! Cry Had we known DS would have no school he and I could have slept in. No
                              Our school automatically sends a phone call with a recorded message to all students' homes when there is a delay or closing - (or early dismissal). I just love that feature. The call usually comes at 5:30 a.m. and then I know I can turn off all alarm clocks and crawl back under the blankets since my boss closes my work when the school district is closed. Smile

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So, I'll be heading out into the cold to get my miles in...that thought is actually kind of nice, in some sick addicted runner's sort of way. Confused
                                It's always kind of fun when someone in my neck of the woods says something to the effect of "it's way too cold to be out for more than 5 minutes, the snow is too deep to walk to the end of the driveway to get the mail," etc....then I say "Oh, I ran 7+ miles." They either look at me like I'm nuts (I get that a lot) or that I'm BSing them. Wink k

~ Sarah Kay