Anybody run with a video camera? Got tips? (Read 901 times)

I just ordered a flip mino camcorder so that I don't have to worry about taking detailed notes at the clinics we hold at MRC (and can keep enough brain power free to process the talks in real time and take part in them) so I was wondering...who has experience actually running with a camera (either video or still)? Any tips on keeping it from getting jarred, sweaty, scratched etc while I'm moving around and running, easy tips for quickly accessing it when I want to use it, etc etc? I've never run with equipment more complicated than a wrist watch or a head lamp before so lay your tips on me!

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I have watched a few cam phone videos taken during races, and I must say that I find them to be shaky, nauseating, and nearly unwatchable. I don't quite understand what you're planning to do with your videos, but be aware that the body's natural rise and fall during running just isn't conducive to making a good filming platform.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

I have watched a few cam phone videos taken during races, and I must say that I find them to be shaky, nauseating, and nearly unwatchable. I don't quite understand what you're planning to do with your videos, but be aware that the body's natural rise and fall during running just isn't conducive to making a good filming platform.
        I don't want to film while I'm running...I mean what's the best method for carrying a camera to have it available while out on a run. So if I'm on a trail and I see a hawk sitting in a tree or flying overhead, I can take a picture or snap some video of it, and such and such.

Run to Win

What are the dimensions of the camera? Camelbak Flashflo comes to mind.
          mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Perhaps one of the armbands that are made for the smaller iPod / MP3 players would work for you? Most of those are at least water resistant, which should be enough to protect the camera.

What are the dimensions of the camera? Camelbak Flashflo comes to mind.
              It is 4 x 2 x 0.6-inches, 3.3 ounces.

Run to Win

Mabye an armband pouch for an iPod? Take it to a place that sells such accessories ... electronics store or running store, perhaps?
                mikeymike

Perhaps one of the armbands that are made for the smaller iPod / MP3 players would work for you? Most of those are at least water resistant, which should be enough to protect the camera.
                  Mabye an armband pouch for an iPod? Take it to a place that sells such accessories ... electronics store or running store, perhaps?
                  Hey here's an idea. What about one of those armbands that they make for iPods? Also, how cool that it came with a box cutter. That must come in handy.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Run to Win is a terrorist. I suspected it all along; something about the sunglasses. The boxcutters confirm. Which brings up the question: just what are you videotaping.
                      I wear an Ultimate Direction womens version of the Wasp hydration pack - it has 4 pockets, both mesh and full fabric, on the front. I keep my camera in one of them, in a neoprene sleeve for it that I got cheap at Long's Drug Store. It has worked well, even in a light rain. Very easy access, so I can get to it fairly quickly. Perhaps a vest only, if you don't want the full hydration pack. I think Nathan makes one?
                      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
                        Hey here's an idea. What about one of those armbands that they make for iPods? Also, how cool that it came with a box cutter. That must come in handy.
                        I must have been too focused on the box cutter to see that other post. Wink

Heh, I just looked for a picture that showed the size of the player relative to something. Mine didn't come with box cutters. In fact, given the lack of anything to cut to open the package, I have no idea why that person took a picture with the box cutters... I'll check out the running store I coach through to see if they carry armbands; if not, then I'll see if I can find somewhere else in the area that might. I've never had to look for something like that before.

Run to Win

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Heh, I just looked for a picture that showed the size of the player relative to something. Mine didn't come with box cutters. In fact, given the lack of anything to cut to open the package, I have no idea why that person took a picture with the box cutters... I'll check out the running store I coach through to see if they carry armbands; if not, then I'll see if I can find somewhere else in the area that might. I've never had to look for something like that before.
                            Don't know if your running store might, but other places to try - Circuit City, Best Buy, Borders, Target, Waldenbooks, FYE, etc. Pretty much any store that sells CDs or music items will probably have a good selection.

Don't know if your running store might, but other places to try - Circuit City, Best Buy, Borders, Target, Waldenbooks, FYE, etc. Pretty much any store that sells CDs or music items will probably have a good selection.
                              Thanks for the tips. As you can tell, I have no experience looking for that sort of accessory, heh.

Run to Win

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

No problem. I got plenty of experience trying to find a waterproof iPod case for my wife. She likes to swim with hers. If you ever end up needing one, I highly recommend the products at www.h2oaudio.com.