costume? (Read 1501 times)

Hello all, Well I have a HM scheduled this week, and after a 2.5 week recovery period, I will not be racing it suffice to say but just chilling out at a nice slow pace while I pace someone else. I'm running in the Calgary (Canada) Stampede marathon and am thinking of dressing over the top in a cowboy costume in the spirits of the Calgary Stampede (rodeo, wild west, etc.)... maybe even getting one of those horses that go around the waist so it looks like you're riding one. I also think it would be great to have a 2 person horse costume but that's obviously not going to happen. Dressing up is just an idea I had and may or may not do it. Has anyone here dressed up before? Any advice?
      No advice, but I was volunteering at a race this weekend and one runner raced in a wooden costume. It was 80degrees and very humid - I'm not sure how he even made it to the start line, let alone run 5 miles. Just thinking about the chafing alone.... http://larrythelighthouse.com/photos.htm

The shirtless wonder

I say go for it! I always smile when I see people wearing costumes at races. ...And I curse when they pass me because it can't be easy running in a costume (most of them at least). A cowboy suit is fine but it takes guts to be this guy, even his shoes are pink!
        jeffdonahue

I did the super-hero costume last year at a race in October. I was pushing my two littlest ones in a running stroller and they were dressed in costume as well - we had two spider-men and a batgirl crossing the finish line.
            Here I am before heading out to the NYRR New Years Midnight Run in Central Park a couple of years back. There were a lot of costumes in that one. I wish I had some pics from the actual run. I got stranger looks out at a club later that night!

-------------------------------------
            5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
            10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
            1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
            Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Prince of Fatness

I say go for it! I always smile when I see people wearing costumes at races. ...And I curse when they pass me because it can't be easy running in a costume (most of them at least). A cowboy suit is fine but it takes guts to be this guy, even his shoes are pink!
              I saw this guy at Steamtown last year. I think he ran around 3:25 on a very warm day, much faster than me!

Not at it at all. 

I saw him at Boston this year. Made me smile.
                  I saw this guy at Steamtown last year. I think he ran around 3:25 on a very warm day, much faster than me!
                  I ran the mnajority of the Mississipp's Blues Marathon with this guy in January. His name is Craig and he is from England originally but now calls somewhere up in the NorthEast home. He is very fast and run in the 3:20-3:30 area. He is in his 50's as well. He got a shout out in Bart Yasso's new book. He had a whole paragraph written about him. If you see him in a race just say high he will talk to you the whole race. Very nice to run next to.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

I ran the mnajority of the Mississipp's Blues Marathon with this guy in January. His name is Craig and he is from England originally but now calls somewhere up in the NorthEast home. He is very fast and run in the 3:20-3:30 area. He is in his 50's as well. He got a shout out in Bart Yasso's new book. He had a whole paragraph written about him. If you see him in a race just say high he will talk to you the whole race. Very nice to run next to.
                    Did you discuss why the costume? Inquiring minds.
                      I wore a ladybug custome, well, just the skirt & bug ears at my first 5k. Its my profile picture. LOL There was a guy in a pink tutu at Grandma's Marathon last month too.
                      ~Liz, single mama to K, L & C Pain is nothing compared to what it feels like to quit.

The shirtless wonder

The picture above was taken by my wife at the Buffalo Marathon. He ran it somewhere under 3:30, I think rather significantly below 3:30. Greg

Prince of Fatness

Here he is at Steamtown:

Not at it at all. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That guy in the pink is awesome! I wonder if he ever gets tired of pink and thinks "gee, maybe I should get a green tutu...or yellow...or blue..." The Grand Rapids Marathon is sometimes right before Halloween. This year it is in the middle of Oct. (which is why I'm not doing it--bad weekend). If they ever smarten-up and move it back to late Oct. I would consider running in some sort of costume. Last year I ran the half and came in just behind Batman & Robin. Big grin I think a Wonder Woman costume could be pretty comfortable. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I wore a ladybug custome, well, just the skirt & bug ears at my first 5k. Its my profile picture. LOL
                              Lie! you're wearing more than that Big grin

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mum2girls/2098903182/in/set-72157601742202188/ Cincinnati's Flying Pig Marathon 2007 Gonna wear it next year too... MTA: I *still* can't figure out how to post pictures here... sorry.

Jeanne