2013 Gardening Thread (Read 239 times)

Prince of Fatness

The gardening question raised in the other thread reminds me that it's about that time.  Use this thread to ask questions, or just to relate what you have going on in your garden.  Also lawns, shrubs, flowers, etc., are not off limits.

2012 Gardening Thread

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Nothing much going on for me yet.  It has been a cold March so not much has greened up.

Potatoes go in in two or three weeks.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Heh.  Yesterday it was a high of 30F.  Last year same day it was 87F.  I hope that at least this means the 3-year drought is over and we have a more reasonable year.

The only things I know this year:

1)  Less potatoes - I grew way too many last year (harvested 7-8 mile crates) to select varieties and that is done.

2)  30 new grape vines - that is going to be a bear to plant, but it will add 50% to the size of my vineyard.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Village people

Nothing much going on for me yet.  It has been a cold March so not much has greened up.

Potatoes go in in two or three weeks.

I don't thinks spring will ever get here.

i would love to try potatoes. i tried once with a cutting, at mil's advice and got one teeny tiny potato. Any tips?

spinach

I have 20 inches of snow on my garden right now and so I think it will be a while before i do anything out there.  The snow has not inspired me to start any seeds yet. I am still dormant for the season.

Feeling the growl again

I don't thinks spring will ever get here.

i would love to try potatoes. i tried once with a cutting, at mil's advice and got one teeny tiny potato. Any tips?

Cut a piece of potato with at least 2 eyes.  Plant is say 2-4 inches deep.  I rarely have them fail to come up.  once they are up, mount the surrounding dirt around them so the potatoes grow in the mound; they are easier to dig that way.  Wait until the plant dies back to dig up.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Cut a piece of potato with at least 2 eyes.  Plant is say 2-4 inches deep.  I rarely have them fail to come up.  once they are up, mount the surrounding dirt around them so the potatoes grow in the mound; they are easier to dig that way.  Wait until the plant dies back to dig up.

+1.  The only thing that I do differently is that I do not mound with dirt.  I save a bunch of leaves from the fall in my compost bin and mulch the plants with those.  Either way will work.

Potatoes are very easy to grow.

Not at it at all. 

Village people

Does it work with any potato? When should they go in? sorry, I can google this. I think I put mine in too late last time.

Prince of Fatness

Does it work with any potato? When should they go in? sorry, I can google this. I think I put mine in too late last time.

For reference I am in northwest NJ and I plant late March early April.  Frost does not hurt them.  Plant too late and they won't do well ..... heat is no good.

Potatoes in the grocery stores are treated with a chemical that prevents shoots growing from the eyes.  You want seed potatoes (Google that term).  You can get them online or possibly at a local nursery.

Not at it at all. 

Village people

For reference I am in northwest NJ and I plant late March early April.  Frost does not hurt them.  Plant too late and they won't do well ..... heat is no good.

Potatoes in the grocery stores are treated with a chemical that prevents shoots growing from the eyes.  You want seed potatoes (Google that term).  You can get them online or possibly at a local nursery.

That is what I thought about the potatoes. I am in the northeast, so it is still cold. Thanks.

jojo61397

Hi,

I started the other thread.  Just bought supplies.  I live in Florida, so we plant now...

So far:

Flowers:

- 2 Gardenia Bushes

- One Hydrangea Patio bush (probably going to get a matching one)

- One Texas Rose from the TX Rose Marathon

- Petunias

- Bogonias (I think that's how they are spelled).

Vegetables/Fruits:

All are in pots/containers because a. I have a dog who eats all my vegetables before I have the opportunity to pick them, I have another dog, who digs up anything larger than a pot, and b.  I live about 3 miles from the beach, so my soil is sand, which means even the grass in my yard is a weed...

- 1 Potted Tomato

- 1 Potted Green Pepper

- 1 Potted Cucumber

- Green Bean seeds in a pot

- Flower box with Carrot seeds (oblong and deep)

- Flower box with the following herbs:

-- Cilantro

-- Basil

-- Oregano

-- Chives

-- Rosemary

-- Dill

Wish me luck.  It's a "War Garden" for my husband who is leaving in 4 weeks for the Middle East Sad.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
                        Sub- 1:45 hour half.

kcam

We've been eating spinach, arugula, broccoli, and cauliflower for about 3 weeks.  Started them inside the house and put em in the ground in ~December, I think.  We had a couple weeks where the temps got down to the low 30's so I put up a 'hoop house' greenhouse with PVC frame around the vegetable beds.  Worked ike a charm.  Tomatos, onions, garlic, potatos, peas, peppers and round two of cauli, broc and arugula are  in the ground but still way young.  Spinach plants are still good and yielding.  Need to get some cukes and corn going too.

PS - good luck jojo!

Prince of Fatness

Wish me luck.  It's a "War Garden" for my husband who is leaving in 4 weeks for the Middle East Sad.

Good luck, and please thank your husband for his service!  Sending good vibes that he arrives home safely.

Not at it at all. 

Better I Leave

Did a lot of "prepping" of the gardens this last weekend and we've got the starts going indoors. Lotsa peppers (Cascabellas germinating this year...YAY! Last year was a bust for those), heirloom tomatoes, squash, cukes, peas, beans, all sorts of stuff.

Birdwell

It's been a bit of an odd spring here (Southwestern Utah around 6000') but we've cleaned the garden out already, and expanded it a bit as well. We've got snow peas and broccoli in the ground, at the suggestion of our local university ag extension. The wife's got a bunch of seed started in those little pellet thingies. hopefully this year will be as good or better than last.

The other thing we have going is a dying apple tree. It was bad when we moved into our current place, and has gotten worse over the last few years. It's got some kind of disease that's causing bark to peal, and over 40% is now dead.  I'm hoping to get a master gardener over in the very near future to try and get a few more years out of it (it's probably 35+ years old now). If not, we may just have to cut bait and plant a new one.