Boston Marathon 2012 (Read 2370 times)

xor

Let's talk about meetups and bib numbers and stuff.

Oh, and let me be the first to say... current forecast (which will change 1,000 times) says high of 80 on Monday.  HELL YES.  Sweet!

Yes indeed.  As of Wednesday, the forecast is now high of 64.  (which will change 999 times)

As of Thursday... isolated thunderstorms, high of 71, 10 mph wind.  Giddyup!  (998 changes left)

As of Friday... mostly cloudy, back up to high of 78 84 85 (995 changes left)

RAer NUMBERS AND GOALS FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO FOLLOW ALONG MONDAY

WAVE ONE (10a start)

Adamiata              4583

bhearn                   2469                 Goal: PR (< 2:58:41)

ccowden                1089                 Just a fun long run for me this year

DgRosen               2090                 Break 3 at Boston, or take a nice fun jog depending on the weather

henryc                    7460

NemoME               1125

Pink Tutu Guy       7495                 Not an RAer, but a damn nice guy (Keith Straw)

WAVE TWO (10:20a start)

AussieGirl76        14952

chuckstone           15777                Hoping to break 3:30 for a new PR and to finish better than my bib #.

cstlrnr                     12677

JBerger                  12587

julia1971               11766                Goal is 3:19:59.

marcox3                 9706                  goal was 3:19:59...now, not sure

marcus_g              8348                  ...for me (Wave 1) but I'm going to start with my training partner in Wave 2

runnerclay             15966

srlopez (Robert)   11056                3:35ish and within 20 minutes (by chip time) of Pink Tutu Guy

TMackAttack          14748

WAVE THREE (10:40a start)

arlahile                   20451

j_d James Dowd  24885                Team Rett!

Mississippi            18109                If the crazy weather lands on the nice side, I'd like 3:50

xor

From our weekly email today.  And I laughed and laughed....

Introducing the Official Treadmill of the Boston Marathon

ProForm Treadmill Pro-Form® Fitness, the number one brand of treadmills and other fitness equipment worldwide has partnered with the Boston Athletic Association to create the official training treadmill of the Boston Marathon.

The official Boston Marathon Treadmill features new technology and a modern, sleek design, perfect for competitive runners. The treadmill will be available for the public to see at the Sports & Fitness Expo on Friday, April 13th through Sunday, April 15th at booth 262 within the Seaport World Trade Center.

It's available for pre-order at www.proform.com/bostonmarathon

No Talent Drips

Just don't run on it at other (ahem) small market marathons.

Dei Gratia

xor

I'm bringing that fucker to Maine and running on it everywhere.

(someone will get that.  Everyone else... ignore it.)

#artbydmcbride

Better wear your sweet jacket; it gets pretty cold in Maine!

Runners run

Julia1971

I'm in!

I have a few other people I want to meet up with while I'm there but nothing set in stone, yet.  I fly in on Saturday and leave Tuesday morning.  Staying near the Expo on Saturday night and in Copley the other two nights due to a reservation goof on my part.

How about an RA pre-race dinner or late lunch after the race?

I'm in Wave 2/Corral 3, so if anyone wants a bus buddy or to hand out in the Village, that would be cool, too.

I'm going to start packing in earnest tonight...  Good thing I bought those arm warmers and gloves two weeks ago in anticipation of sitting out in the cold.  Roll eyes

bhearn

No telling yet what the weather will be. My first Boston, I flew in a week early, it was snowing. 75 on race day.

Oh, and that tailwind forecast... that's just prevailing winds this time of year. Almost never actually happens on race day.

I sure hope they're a chatty bunch, it's going to be a looong wait to 10:20. My hotel (20 min away) is dropping me off around 8:30, so I expect a bit of a hike.
                  seanopaddy

Congrats on making Boston, Aussie Girl. I'm an Aussie near Niagara Falls, and I have no bloody chance of qualifying -- it's tv for me. Enjoy the race...

I'm Betty if you're Al

I'm bringing that fucker to Maine and running on it everywhere.

(someone will get that.  Everyone else... ignore it.)

I get it I get it!

If/when we meet up can we please take a photo with our sweet jackets?  I will then send them to all newspapers in Maine.  If there hasn't been a car accident involving a moose I'm pretty sure we will make front page.  

"I would rather have high expectations and fail then have low expectations and succeed." DB

L Train

Wait, we have newspapers?

No Talent Drips

Wait, we have newspapers?

Of course. To start woodstove fires and to line the cages of our rabbit pets. Duh.

Dei Gratia

xhristopher

Of course. To start woodstove fires and to line the cages of our rabbit pets. Duh.

Pets? I thought they were for eatun.

an amazing likeness

If there hasn't been a car accident involving a moose I'm pretty sure we will make front page.  

On today's front page....a person who baked cakes for a charity event would like some of her cake pans back, they've gone missing. 

(I am not kidding.)

No way, no way, a windbreaker will top that.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Congrats on making Boston, Aussie Girl. I'm an Aussie near Niagara Falls, and I have no bloody chance of qualifying -- it's tv for me. Enjoy the race...

Thank you!  It's not as glamorous as it sounds, I'm not flying from Melbourne to Boston, I now live in Kansas.  The qualifying time was way off in never never land for me too, I mapped out a week's worth of runs where I was with respect to speed in an Excel spreadsheet and increased the speed every three weeks until I could do the training that was the recommended work to get a 3:40 (Run Less, Run Faster).  It was so far off into the distance that I never once looked at when I'd be ready.  I know the men's times are crazy, beyond times I could ever achieve, but start with a plan and you just never know!  I had no dreams of actually running in Boston, I just wanted a qualifying time.  It was a guy at work who bullied me into applying.