Boston Marathon 2012 (Read 2370 times)

xor

"and official entrants must claim their bib number packets at the John Hancock Sports and Fitness Expo through Sunday evening at the Seaport World Trade Center in South Boston."

Wait, so if you want to defer you have to go to boston anyway? 

or get a friend to get them.

I just encountered a whole mess of runners at the expo who took the blue pill of deferral.

I'm still taking the red pill.

Imminent Catastrophe

I am shocked, shocked that Trent did not offer deferral for the Monkey, when heavy rain was forecast (and happened). It is outrageous that runners might encounter discomfort  during the race!

As for Boston, the risk of getting wet and/or sweaty during the world's most prestigious marathon is simply unacceptable. 

Hopefully Boston will offer deferrals year after year, until weather conditions are ideal! Then all 200,000 deferred entrants can participate without encountering any discomfort.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I am shocked, shocked that Trent did not offer deferral for the Monkey, when heavy rain was forecast (and happened). It is outrageous that runners might encounter discomfort  during the race!

Hm. Trent told me that he had a special form for Monkey withdrawal. If you want to withdraw your entry from Monkey, so he said, you just have to pay a large penalty fee (something related to the price of monkey chow) and fill out some forms in quadruplicate, and enclose a psychiatric evaluation signed by a certified psychiatrist, and your application would be entered into a lottery system, which determines which lucky people receive their requested reprieves.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

My 305 is all but dead.... Bike rides longer than 1 hour don't work anymore (likewise, runs over 1 hour don't work.)

I took the battery out and I'm trying to replace it.  If it doesn't work, I'll buy a new one.
          I got 3 years out of it, but was hoping for 4 or more.

For $133 original investment, I'm still pleased with it.

If only the problem was consistent I'd show them. It freezes and looses charge, not necessarily in that order, or on demand. Plus, I'm not going to the expo until Sunday afternoon. Perhaps I'll wear it around like a crazy runner guy and keep an eye on it over the weekend. If it busts Monday morning I'll probably have some sort of hissy fit then accidentally run my first mile about 8 minutes faster than planned. 

MTA: Garmin only turns on after trying reset multiple times. If left off dock battery dies. Argh.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

I just encountered a whole mess of runners at the expo who took the blue pill of deferral.

Taking the red pill in 2004...guess a blue one wasn't offered anyways...I was disappointed that I did not get to learn cool ninja moves and a hot woman in tight black leather.  Dang.

IMHO heat is disproportionately bad in a marathon for people who are massively under-trained and taking 5-6hrs to cover the course.  This is why Chicago getting a hot day got way worse press than Boston.

Just throw your goal time out the window, run for the weather, and enjoy what is still a great race.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

bhearn

Chicago was also way less prepared for heat than Boston is.

Kalsarikännit

This is why Chicago getting a hot day got way worse press than Boston.

Chicago got way worse press because of the way they bungled a day that they knew was going to be hot and then directed the blame on the runners.

I wonder if Boston offered the deferral not to help out runners, but to ease the impact on medical and emergency services.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xhristopher

My 305 is all but dead.... Bike rides longer than 1 hour don't work anymore (likewise, runs over 1 hour don't work.)

I took the battery out and I'm trying to replace it.  If it doesn't work, I'll buy a new one.
                  I got 3 years out of it, but was hoping for 4 or more.

For $133 original investment, I'm still pleased with it.

Mine was a 305. I spent some time and figured it wasn't going to be reliable. It only turned on with several hard reset attempts and then would randomly just turn on, which probably explains the recent spell of dead batteries. I paid less than you did and got two years. I wasn't in the market for a new one but ended up picking up a 610 today. It had better last me a long, long time.

I think my son loves it more than me. He's figured it all out, has set it up for me, and has been instructing me in it's use. I hope he's willing to part with it Monday for a few hours.

xhristopher

Chicago got way worse press because of the way they bungled a day that they knew was going to be hot and then directed the blame on the runners.

I wonder if Boston offered the deferral not to help out runners, but to ease the impact on medical and emergency services.

Explaining this to my wive I said it's all about CYA. My son had to know what that meant. Now he understands that means "cover your assets." Close enough.

or get a friend to get them.

I was giving out shirts at the expo today. Yes, there were people picking up shirts for those who had deferred. Really sucks for those trying to qualify for 2013. Now even more qualifiers won't get in. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I am shocked, shocked that Trent did not charge extra for the Monkey, when heavy rain was forecast (and happened). It is outrageous that Monkey runners might get extra discomfort without paying.

xor

I was giving out shirts at the expo today. Yes, there were people picking up shirts for those who had deferred. Really sucks for those trying to qualify for 2013. Now even more qualifiers won't get in. 

Yes, but my chances of winning just improved!

Ha.

As for Chicago, all kinds of stuff went wrong there... but a lot of it was on the race org, who made the incredible douchey move (IMHO) of blaming the runners.  Sure, blame is shared, but the org hosed up lots of stuff and knew in advance that it would be hot.

AND. The side effect of Chicago is that races in that part of the country have itchy trigger fingers regarding in-race cancellation. Or in the case of the Southern Indiana Classic, the night before.  That RD told me personally that she "didn't want it to turn into Chicago".  Come on now.  That just showed a drastic under-understanding (new word) of what happened in Chicago.

Red pill! Red pill!

Feeling the growl again

Well, that too, but there is no denying that there are A LOT more slower runners at Chicago, spending a lot more time on the course under those conditions.  Given the qualifying, I'm sure average training is better for Boston runners.  I heard of few problems for the sub-4 crowd at Chicago that year, at least among my acquaintances.

FWIW, I would actually say that the relative lack of carnage at Boston in 2004 had little to do with BAA or the race itself.  I credit the tens of thousands of spectators lining the whole course who were ferrying water our from their houses to help the runners cool themselves off.  I doubt that happened much at Chicago.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

bhearn

Yes, but even apart from spectator support, there are aid stations every mile at Boston. And they don't run out after the 3:10 runners go by.

Feeling the growl again

Yes, but even apart from spectator support, there are aid stations every mile at Boston. And they don't run out after the 3:10 runners go by.

Part of my point was that with so much water available along every step of the course, people did not need to deplete aid stations by pouring it over their heads to stay cool.

Don't get me wrong.  I like Boston A LOT better than Chicago for many reasons.