Sprint Training, How long does it take to really see results? (Read 149 times)

timosiza

my son is 11 years old, is very good at football, but unfortunately very slow, the trainer does not do anything and criticized him only :-( I also think the coach is quite right, my son does not want to run and he can not sprint., he now wants to do sprint training. How long does it take to really see results? has he ever hopeful that he will be better?

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

Of course there is hope, he's only 11! If HE (not you) is really interested in getting faster, get him to just spend time running every week, doesn't matter how far or fast. At 11, he can only improve.

pedaling fool

It does kind of seem like putting the horse before the cart to start off in sprint training without developing a base in running. Kind of like in the same way if someone wanted to lift heavy weights, i.e. become a power lifter, they first must do the lighter weights at higer reps in order to build up their muscles, but more imporantly to build up their frame in general, such as their bones/connective tissues/joints.

Seems like one is destined for injury if they try and do any shortcuts

mikeymike

Sprinters don't do base training--at least not at all in the way distance runners do. To improve at sprinting he'd be better off doing plyos and developing explosive power.

Though I'm not a huge fan of too much structured training of any kind for 11-year-olds. He should basically just play.

Runners run

jmctav23

2/3rds training

my son does not want to run and he can not sprint

sounds like he found the right sport...just feed him cheeseburgers and make him an offensive lineman.  I'm confused by the "can not sprint" part.  Has he never run after somebody playing tag?  Or is it just that he doesn't do it fast "enough" for others to consider it a sprint?

Snarky comments aside, I can relate.  When I was his age I desperately wanted to be good at basketball, but I couldn't jump worth a dang.  I spent every summer working on my game and doing jump specific drills in the hopes that the next season I'd be slamming dunks and whatnot.  Despite all my hard work, I still probably can't jump more than two feet.  I gave up and moved on and now spend my time running around in the mountains.

Start with some hill reps, preferably on grass.

Feeling the growl again

Technically, you will start seeing improvement in sprinting speed from sprint drills and ploys within only a few weeks.  However, IMHO, is we are now doing such structured training with 11yo's I don't think it's a good thing.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

TJoseph

sounds like he found the right sport...just feed him cheeseburgers and make him an offensive lineman.  I'm confused by the "can not sprint" part.  Has he never run after somebody playing tag?  Or is it just that he doesn't do it fast "enough" for others to consider it a sprint?

I was thinking the same thing, but then it occurred to me that he might be talking about European "football" or soccer.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

If he is slow it is you and your wife's fault. He has your genetics for speed.

You and improve strength, endurance and skill by more than 100%

You can only improve speed by a small amount.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes