Friendly reminder -- logs and profiles (Read 1593 times)

Hey guys, If you haven't done so already, please fill out your profile and make your log public. One, it's nice to know who you are talking to ... two, it's hard to answer questions without seeing logs. Thanks!
    2009: BQ?

Another Passion

Thanks, Trishie. That has been a bit frustrating. Good reminder. Wink

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

RIP, Henry, my soul mate

I've seen this request a few times, but I don't keep my log on line. Is it considered "bad form" if you don't? Everyone here at RA has been very welcoming to us CR converts, so I want to respect what y'all have going on here.
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I've seen this request a few times, but I don't keep my log on line. Is it considered "bad form" if you don't?
          No it's not bad form at all-- you can log your runs however you choose. I think most people came to RA looking for a running log and discovered the forums, so the assumption is that if you're here, your log is, too. Do whatever works best for you. As trishierunner mentioned, it does help in answering questions if we can see your training, as advice will differ greatly based on level of experience / miles being run / PR's. So horsemom2b, if you post training questions, be sure to include some background (years running, miles per week, recent times). Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JakeKnight

I've seen this request a few times, but I don't keep my log on line. Is it considered "bad form" if you don't? Everyone here at RA has been very welcoming to us CR converts, so I want to respect what y'all have going on here.
            Out of curiosity ... why not give it a try? You'll find the pretty, shiny colored bars can be very addicting. Join us. Come over to the dark side ... Plus, you could join one of the mileage clubs. I know the whole thing sounds kinda goofy, but it really is strangely motivating. There are days when the only thing that gets me out the door is the thought of having no pretty colored bar for the day and no progress in the mileage charts. I do agree with Jeff Globule (how'd you get your name fixed, dude? Or did you find an MSU grad to teach you spelling?). It's not like its "bad form." Nobody's going to throw things at you. Or at least they'll probably be soft things. But frankly it does bug me a little when I don't know if somebody asking a question is an Olympic marathoner or just sorta kinda thinking about giving running a try. And it sort of shows a commitment to this place, too. Not to mention the fact that there are lots of nosy people here, and you're depriving them of their log-peeking fix. You're also missing out on the joy of hiding snarky comments in your workouts, knowing certain people will peek. It's an underrated joy.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I second Jake's suggestion to join a running club. It's great! I can't believe I'm ahead of the pace bunny in the 1000-km club. It's gotten me to thinking about aiming for 1000 miles instead. I want to get ahead enough that if I get sick or something I won't fall behind Mr. Bunny. My running partner didn't run yesterday, and I was thinking she WOULD have if she were in the club!

Lazy idiot

...how'd you get your name fixed, dude? Or did you find an MSU grad to teach you spelling?...
                I would laugh, but after this past Tuesday's basketball game I'm willing to lay low for a while.

Tick tock

Think Whirled Peas

I would laugh, but after this past Tuesday's basketball game I'm willing to lay low for a while.
                  Oh haha, very fununy...make fnu of us Psartens...knot kewl

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Lazy idiot

What? Wink My Bucks lost, no making fun to be had for me.

Tick tock

Maryland beat Wake Big grin ... okay, both teams played ugly.... we just played LESS ugly ... Vasquez had 8 or 9 turnovers ... but hey, it's a W
                      2009: BQ?
                      rlemert

Having used the CR running log for about two years I can see the advantages to having your log on-line - the biggest one being that you can access it from wherever you are as long as you have internet access. The CR/Active transition, however, has pointed out a key disadvantage to this - the fact that you really have very little control over your log in this situation. That's why I'm planning (when I get off my big kiester) to install an off-line log on my home computer. I'll lose a lot of convenience, but at least I'll have more control over what happens to it.
                        JakeKnight

The CR/Active transition, however, has pointed out a key disadvantage to this - the fact that you really have very little control over your log in this situation.
                          FYI - in case you don't already know: there is a function here to download your data and save it on your own hard drive, if you like. I back it up pretty regularly. You can then convert it to Excel or something similar. And for what it's worth, I feel extremely safe with my log here. I trust Eric far more than I'd trust some nameless corporate entity running a website. I suspect he'd just about die before he'd let us lose our logs. I'd guess the odds of me just plain losing a pen and paper log, or even losing a log stored only on my hard drive, are about a million times higher than losing the data here.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                          -----------------------------

Another Passion

FYI - in case you don't already know: there is a function here to download your data and save it on your own hard drive, if you like. I back it up pretty regularly. You can then convert it to Excel or something similar.
                            I've tried doing this a couple of times without success or, at least not that I know of, could be embedded somewhere on my computer, but I am just too much of a moronic Spartan grad to know it. Confused Blush

Rick
                            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Hey guys, If you haven't done so already, please fill out your profile and make your log public. One, it's nice to know who you are talking to ... two, it's hard to answer questions without seeing logs. Thanks!
                              Thanks for the reminder, and I certainly understand where you are coming from on this topic. It is nice to know who you are talking to. As for the log, I agreed with what some other folks have said already... I don't want to risk losing my info (because of something like the CR to active transition, or just my lack of smarts to retrieve it if I want it from my own computer). I tend to be old fashioned about it, and I like writing it down in a pen and paper log. I seem to be better able to remember to log it that way, too. With all that said, I have only been running for a few months, and truthfully don't feel like I have all that much to show. My log doesn't have all those pretty, shiny colored bars at this point. Wink (Mainly just a couple 3 mile, really fat blue bars from the few runs I have logged. ) So, please be patient with me while I rack up some miles and try to remember to get them logged in. Until then, if I ask any questions, I'll try to give some good background info. Smile Is there a mileage group for those of us who run less than 15 mpw? Smile MTA: I just found the 621 mile club! Thanks, Drew.

Lazy idiot

Is there a mileage group for those of us who run less than 15 mpw? Smile
                                There is the 1000-kilometer group. The pace bunny there will hit ~621 miles at the end of the year.

Tick tock