Dumb headphone question (Read 1012 times)

xor

Perhaps this is buried in one of the existing headphone threads, but I love the thrill of new conversation. I just got my new Sennheiser headphones (MX-85s I think; doesn't matter... beats what I had). Go me. I'm used to headphone cords that make a Y... one cord from the player to a Y, from which a wire runs to each ear. No prob. Usually, the line to each ear is the same length. On these Sennheisers, one of the lines to an ear is far longer than the other one. What's up with that? I'm sure there's a reason. But it escapes me.

I don't have these headphones, so I'm speculating based on my own experience. Maybe the longer one goes to the ear that's farthest away from your armband? I wear my ipod on my left arm, and I always have trouble keeping the right side in.
      xor

Hmmm. Well, I'm not planning on wearing it on my arm. But perhaps that's it. I hadn't thought of that because that's not how I wear it. Interesting.

Imminent Catastrophe

the long one is supposed to go behind your neck to your ear. I guess.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

The long cord goes behind your neck. Makes it a lot easier to manage and doesn't get in the way like it does with the Y-symmetrical ones that sit in front of you all day. This is pretty standard on euro/asian earbuds.
            For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.
              i think you got this guy's headphones...
              - the grisly details http://alansmiles.blogspot.com
                From their website: "Important wearing note! The longer side of the asymetrical cable goes behind the neck and into the opposite ear. This mimics a single sided cable and reduces the amount of cable in front of the wearer during physical activity. This is a safety and ergonomic feature. Please contact Sennheiser with any questions about product fit." http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/productdetail.asp?transid=502539
                  I wish the asymmetrical design is more common in the US. Personally, I think the symmetrical design looks tacky and gets in my way.

Menace to Sobriety

Can't they come up with wireless headphones/earbuds, etc? I guess the risk of losing them is greater, especially if you put them in too far, but the comfort of not having the cables waving all over the place would offset that risk.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

They have wireless headphones. Unfortunately wireless earbuds are a currently a no-go as the battery power required makes a design somewhat cumbersome. Hopefully they will get all of the kinks ironed out of wireless power soon.
                      For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.

thumbs up!

Wireless headphones would be cool! Then I could hear what people are listening to as they run by me.
                        2010 Goals
                        1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
                        2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
                        3. sub 30 min 5k
                        4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

SRL, I hope you like the Sennheisers. I think the ones you got are the updated version of the ones I have. I am on my second pair. I love them. Totally sweat and rain-proof. Good sound, but I can still hear stuff around me, which is perfect. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

I used them for the first (and second) time today. They sound great... the earplugs with the extra little doodads to hold them still are kind of funky. And they come with tons of spares in various sizes to ensure a great fit. The problem is that all these pieces are a bit overwhelming. Ultimately, I could probably make them fit better, but I don't feel like dealing with all the little pieces.

Wireless headphones would be cool! Then I could hear what people are listening to as they run by me.
                              Unfortunately the old ones actually worked like this. I'm not sure if encoding limits the amount of bandwidth or something, but I had an old pair when I used to live in the dorms that operated on the same frequency as cordless non-cell phones, and every once in a while I would end up accidently snooping on peoples phone conversations.
                                I had the Sennheisers you are talking about. That extra cord length drove me crazy. I get the idea behind it, and I've seen other headphones where one side was slightly longer and it worked out. But on these there is just a ridiculous amount of extra length...probably 18" or more. I tried to clip it to my shirt with the little included clip, but it was too much of a pain. I finally just cut the long side off and only used one ear. In the end I emailed Sennheiser and complained a couple of times, and they shipped me a pair of PMX75s for FREE...they are probably 40 bucks in the store. That was about 2 years ago, and I'm still using them. I can't believe they've held up through this much sweat and abuse. I also didn't think I'd like this "around the neck" style, but it actually has worked out much better than earbuds. I'll definitely buy these again when I need some more. I wish more companies had that level of customer service.