In need of a Moral compass - Running bandit. (Read 1203 times)

On On

OK, I think it bothers most of you because you feel someone is getting something for nothing that you paid for, NOT that you actually think they are stealing. If an airline allows certain people to fly for free do you have a problem with this? Again, not a straight comparison with being a bandit because the number one assumption is you are NOT getting prior permission from the Race Director. BUT if you did get prior permission, is it still being a bandit? What about the action is being a bandit? The running, the not paying, the being there at the same time and same place as others that did pay more? On that note, most races have different price points. Do you feel cheated when someone did not pay the same amount as you for the same rights you have during the race? Yes or No. If you feel different price points are ok, well this person's price point is zero. Are they still a bandit if they make a donation of $20? Does it make a difference if they took any water or nourishment on course? Does it really come down to the view point from the race director (whose race it is) or the other racers (who are the customers)? In any other scenario the customers do not a have any rights on how to tell a business owner to run their business. MTA: I guess my view point it is not right with out prior approval from the RD. But if they allow it, then the other runners have nothing to complain about. As a concept though with out the RD knowledge it is wrong but it happens. If you willingly with forethought go into a race with out paying then you know you are not doing the right thing.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And BTW. Do not image google 'Peter North' if you have safe search off and are at work. Especially do NOT do this if you have no idea who Peter North is.
      Am I a bad girl for not needing to Google Peter North...? Evil grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

How many people on this thread are Race Directors?
        I'm one. But I'm not on this thread. Oh. Wait. Criminy.
        I'm planning to bandit the Monkey. The RD is getting rich from it.
        Yeah, but he's an idiot. Oh, and every single simile and metaphor used in this thread is inadequate.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Are you less of a bandit if you let some people draft off of you? Bandit = Robber, Outlaw, Thief, right? Should a robber feel bad about robbing?
          Purdey

Self anointed title

I think you know the answer to your questions already don't you? But, for the record, here is my opinion: The race is donating entry fees to charity? Yes. You are therefore scum if you bandit.

Well, in the Lutheran Church that I go to you can confess your sins the following Sunday to be absolved of your banditing activities. Wink But in all seriousness I suspect there are always a few bandits in races. I used to think banditing, wearing head phones in a race, selling your bib number, etc were all crimes crime worthy of lethal injection upon conviction. I always see a few runners with absolutely no bibs of any kind on them and have never seen a course marshall pull anyone from a race for not displaying their bib number although many races state bib numbers must be worn so they can be seen. Look at the number of runners wearing headphones in a race despite "rules" against them. No one is going to deny you water or food on a course because you are not wearing a bib or even if you have a fake bib. Most volunteers at water stops are too busy giving water/sports drinks to notice if you are "legal" or not. I've kind of mellowed over the years. I would never consider wearing a headphone in a race or banditing, but on the other hand I have used someone else's number when they could not participate in a race. Last year at the Peachtree Road Race I even swapped numbers with someone who simply wanted to be in the first corral instead of the seventh (I was recovering from an illness so I didn't feel like I should be in the first corral anyway). So, yes banditing is somewhat of a moral sin. But in the great scheme of races, most likely not significant enough to cause any problems as long as you use common sense - i.e. if the water resources do get low consider dropping out of the race before the "paying" runners are out of water/sports drinks/food etc. Now, as Jesus said to the prostitute in the Bible, "go and sin no more". Smile
              USAF Marathon, September 19 Atlanta 1/2 Marathon, Nov 26 Breast Cancer Marathon, Feb 21, 2010
              wyerock

How about insurance/liability issues? Let's say you stumble and trip somebody else up and they end up in the hospital? Aren't you at risk of a lawsuit, especially since you weren't supposed to be there? If the race has a permit for 10,000 runners and you are 10,001, if that permit has to do with safety, aren't you putting all the other runners at risk and violating some city, state, or federal laws? Being one more person on a crowded course, aren't you interfering and impacting everyone else's race experience and possibly their time? If you sneak in and ran the race and didn't affect anyone, there probably wouldn't be a problem and no one would care. But if something serious happens, you could be putting yourself in a very difficult position. Kind of like driving without insurance.
                Aaron Heath

At first I was thinking that it would be okay as long as you didn't use the aid stations, but the more I think about it the more I realize that it's not okay. These races are already crowded enough with people who paid the fees, so stay off of the course and out of their way. And if I see you at any of my races, I might knock you down. Black eye
                  Purdey

Self anointed title

and if I see you banditing at any charity races I will steal your wallet and give the contents to the charity. Unlikely as I live in the UK, but the expression of intent is there.

mikeymike

wyerock, I see your'e heavily armed. Would you mind putting this thread out of its misery? Thanks.

Runners run

Imminent Catastrophe

wyerock, I see your'e heavily armed. Would you mind putting this thread out of its misery? Thanks.
                        yet you keep adding to it Wink

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Purdey

Self anointed title

I think there is a lot more mileage in this thread. That is, until we get another "should I bandit" thread next week.

BUT FIRST I have a legitimate follow-up question: My friend runs a charity which is raising funds to build an orphanage in Egypt. She wants to raise money by having people vote on what I will wear/look like on race day (my first marathon). The options need to be funny/semi-embarassing. However, I want to draw little or no attention to myself at the actual race AND it needs to be something that does not interfere with my effort (race will be challenging enough). I was thinking of maybe, for example, wearing sweat-wicking clothes, but in a funny color scheme or with a funny design. I want to help her. Any thoughts?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

mikeymike

yet you keep adding to it Wink
                              Have I really added to it? I certainly haven't increased its value...

Runners run

Imminent Catastrophe

BUT FIRST I have a legitimate follow-up question: ...The options need to be funny/semi-embarassing...Any thoughts?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016