Muscle fatigue (Read 122 times)

Gizmo2019

as my speed and incline/effort increases I’m finding I need more frequent breaks during a run (10-30 second breaks). It’s been going on for 2 weeks! I’m trying to build endurance/energy. I run 5k 4 times a week under 30min in treadmill. I started at only .5% incline . I can do 6.2 mph easily but as I increase speed to 6.4 till 8 mph gradually I have to stop. I can breathe fine I’m just TIRED!

i slowed my speed once and I was fine. I’m thinking at this point I might need to add protein before my workout? I do t think I need gels just yet for a mere 3 miles.

any suggestions on how to energize myself BEFORE the workout? I’ve been ok up until now on almond milk/cereal and coffee.😳😬 protein shakes?!

Seattle prattle

I'm not a treadmill guy, but in a general sense, i advocate working on everything all the time.

In your situation, try the things you suggest, and even more. Maybe gels won't be your thing but a little pre-workout carbs will. Maybe adding protein after a workout will help build muscle and if you are in a caloric deficit during the workout, protein before could help you from cannobolizing muscle for fuel.

But mostly, it sounds like you need to work on your training program, and building endurance and speed endurance should be a goal.

A half hour workout is not going to be effected by fueling unless you start out with a caloric deficit. That's just too short a workout to require fueling under most any circumstances.

Work on your training program. I am sure there will be ideas on how to follow by other posters, but better yet, get a book on running training programs.

an amazing likeness

You're outrunning your fitness.  To build endurance, run more, mostly easy.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

rlopez

1. You shouldn't need to fuel up before running a workout that's 3ish miles long

2. Protein before a workout isn't going to help you. It isn't used effectively as fuel and is only going to make your stomach feel yuck. Protein is for after. And not really needed after running 3ish miles.

3. You shouldn't do all your workouts at the same pace and the exact same distance/duration.

4. You didn't say how long you've been training but, yes, if 6.2 mph is a comfy pace for you, 8 mph kind of won't be.

Give it time. Read up on training. Don't worry so much about food.

Gizmo2019

I’ve been training for a marathon since the end of aug. I started out taking over 40 min to complete 3.1 miles. Now in feb my time is 29.23. I’ve only been working on speed bc I’m unable to hit the road bc of my babysitting/family/schedule situation. It’s not ideal but I’m with my 3 yr old who can only handle sitting in the stroller for a 30 min run. This spring however I’ll be able to increase miles on the pavement early weekend mornings as it gets lighter.

so yes I think I’m plateauing on my speed but that’s all I can work on on the treadmill till then. I’m looking fwd to increasing miles but till then I’m curious as to why I can’t further improve with speed?? It’s like my body won’t let me or it’s getting harder as I’m approaching my limits. I didn’t think I needed gels until past 10ish miles? I won’t take them for just a 3 mile speed run.

iwas wondering if my diet would help get me thru thespeed.yes I think I’m in caloric deficit . I’ve continuously been losing or maintaining Weight. Thanks

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

The main thing that will help.

once a week can’t you run longer while your child sleeps?

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Gizmo2019

The main thing that will help.

once a week can’t you run longer while your child sleeps?

Yes I’m planning on starting that once it gets lighter earlier outside, on the weekend. I also wondered if I’ve been getting “tired” due to lack of sleep. I’m only getting about 5-6hrs during the week. And I am a 8-9 hr person (I do well when I sleep for that long). I’m hoping that when the child is old enough for school, I can run more daily but till now, he’s my priority (as well as my other 3) and I’m trying to balance training with mommy life. My plan is to race in 2020. So I’m anxious to get on the road.

I thought I had a good “plan” of gradually increasing pace on the treadmill. I did do so without major injuries or pain. I do have a tendency to overdo it. But it’s just the last TWO weeks I haven’t noticed much improvement. This happened before last month, I plateaued but by week 3 I managed to push through it and broke my treadmill record. Hopefully I can do this again.I usually don’t consume anything after a workout due to me being too busy mostly. Occasionally I’ll stuff a bite of meat/nuts/fruit in mouth. I usually am not hungry. I’m doing the incline to prep for road running since I wont have a treadmill belt to push me along.

bc I don’t seem successful, I’m worried I’ll totally SUCK on the road!

Christirei

i understand being a mommy vs taking care of yourself! i've been there too. You might not like to hear this, but what helped me the most was switching my running time to early in the morning before the family was awake. I go out about five in the morning and am home just as everybody is waking up. Easier now since my babies are growing up and don't need me nearly as much. But do give it serious consideration. I go to bed early, when my kids do, and am up early. When i'm training for marathons i get up even earlier, about four thirty. Its worth it. My workout is done before the day has started. Its a carved out bit of time just for myself. and its a way to recharge and thing through my day. I start the day feeling ready for whats to come and then i'm not fretting through the rest of the day trying to figure out when to squeeze in my workout

As long as you want to use your treadmill, here are some suggestions. vary your workout every day. one day just run as long as you can nice and easy. one day work on the incline, set the pace to where you can control it and do intervals with the incline, one day warm up for mile run hard for a mile then cool down for a mile, one day do half mile intervals hard and jog hard and jog...and as soon as you can start building up distance, if you really want to run a marathon, distance is going to help you out more than pace

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

But it’s just the last TWO weeks I haven’t noticed much improvement. This happened before last month, I plateaued but by week 3 I managed to push through it and broke my treadmill record.

Improvement happens over time. It's not fast. You need to cut yourself some slack.

When is the race you want to train for? You don't need to be racing and trying to set records in training. Some speedwork is fine, but speedwork is not intended to be an every run workout. You need easy runs in there to let your body recover from the harder days. If you push it every time, you are more likely to get injured or burnt out before you get to the start line.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Gizmo2019

Thank you. Yes that is the plan (that I’m both excited for and dreading!!!) to wake up before everyone.

i think you’re right. I should vary my work out more. All I’ve been doing is increasing/“improving.” I do hills/fat burn once a week on the treadmill and an outside hike with steep hills. The other 4 days is the 5k aimed at getting faster and now with incline.

i had read all about intervals and for I thought, when I slow down it’s more effort to re start (which is probably the point!) so I just keep going harder and stronger. However at this level for me, I need brief stops to continue.

i do have a set time right now when I run with the toddler but like I said,he won’t let me increase distance. And I’ve already considered joggers...I’m done buying baby stuff and I can’t train with a child.

the only option is no sleep! I’m ok w that tho. Can’t do it on weekdays tho bc husband is out the door by 6.

thanks I’ll try some more variations.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

You need to sleep

why can’t your husband watch your son so you can run a few times a week.?

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

active recovery...?

I wonder if you're pushing every run, zone 4 or zone 5 type of runs...and never doing any easy paced/active recovery type runs.

eat real food, enough protein which most americans get too much already, enough carbs... but I don't think fueling for a 5k run like that would be problematic, ie not the problem why you're feeling as you do...

300m- 37 sec.

Gizmo2019

You need to sleep

why can’t your husband watch your son so you can run a few times a week.?

I know I need the sleep , im

trying!!! Their Bedtime is when I get all MY stuff done (computer work paperwork etc, calendar, etc). Bc my husband works long daytime hours. He comes home, dinner and bedtime. Weekends are busy too (I can’t find time on the wknds to run myself). But when he’s home, he does watch our son. That’s why I’ve postponed my race till next year which I still hope I can make. Family life with 4 kids is demanding. And I also don’t want to be away from the kids for 2-3 hrs when they’re awake (for long runs). I still have mommy guilt (feel selfish). So that’s what the early morning runs will help solve (I hope)!

Gizmo2019

Improvement happens over time. It's not fast. You need to cut yourself some slack.

When is the race you want to train for? You don't need to be racing and trying to set records in training. Some speedwork is fine, but speedwork is not intended to be an every run workout. You need easy runs in there to let your body recover from the harder days. If you push it every time, you are more likely to get injured or burnt out before you get to the start line.

Cut myself slack? What’s that?!? 😉 I know all this...meaning Ive read it! Well plans changed again and I’m going to shoot for San Francisco in July 2020 or Sacramento dec 2020.

I know I shouldn’t be setting records and I say all I want to do is finish The race, but there’s a voice telling me to do better than that. The thing with easy runs is I feel like I’m wasting my time. I want the burn and to get something out of it. For sure you are right.  I’m not allowing proper recovery. My legs feel good (“hurt” in the sense that I know I worked out) every day I run. Weekends are my main recovery time. Sunday I’m a blob.

i even told myself this week: I’m just going to do 6.2 mph the entire 3.1 miles. What did I do around 15min? I said this is too easy and my songs are too good to waste. I got bored. Btw I work out in my neighborhood clubhouse, not at home.

define “easy” run if I’m doing 6.2mph easily? Should I just not increase my speed? Bc I can’t go longer with the kid. That’s my problem I guess. He’s getting in the way 😂. And I love me a good sweat, burning lungs, a pounding heart, and slight nausea at the end of my workout. It’s then that I felt like I did something (since I’m limited on distance). See my dilemma?

but you all are right...I gotta increase distance.

Gizmo2019

active recovery...?

I wonder if you're pushing every run, zone 4 or zone 5 type of runs...and never doing any easy paced/active recovery type runs.

eat real food, enough protein which most americans get too much already, enough carbs... but I don't think fueling for a 5k run like that would be problematic, ie not the problem why you're feeling as you do...

Not sure on the zone bc the treadmill’s HR accuracy isn’t great. My brother insists I take protein shakes, but I’ve always been against “fake” nutrition. But I thought at this point I may need more ooomph to get me thru my next level.

ok, I guess it’s not really my diet then.