Muscle fatigue (Read 122 times)

SMART Approach

Gizmo, you have plenty of time for your marathon. You are struggling with what is a good work out vs what is good for training. What you are doing now is not doing a lot to build your "aerobic base" which is so crucial for enduance running, marathon training. You are simply doing a race or near race effort each time you get on a treadmill. This is fine if you want to feel like you want to work very hard each work out. But for marathon training or any training for any race, you are doing it all wrong. You are using your carb dependent energy system way too much. This is why you are forced to slow down because the energy system you are using gets depleted.....you get in aerobic dept and lactic acid overtakes and you are forced to slow or walk. This is straining not training.

You really need to do some further research on proprer training or simply decide you are not ready yet to start training. For example, I can run a 5K at 6:45 pace but a big chunk of my miles is at 8:30 - 9:00 mile pace and mix in some harder training runs at times to train or get in tune with race paces. . Most of your fitness and race time performane comes from running more miles at comfortable paces. You need to build that foundation. You then fine tune with faster work. It seems you have a lot of important life committments that take priority. You just want to hit the treadmill and get a hard work out in a short period of time. That is ok but realize you cannot get faster and faster with the way you are doing your runs.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

rlopez

[quote]And I love me a good sweat, burning lungs, a pounding heart, and slight nausea at the end of my workout. It’s then that I felt like I did something (since I’m limited on distance). See my dilemma?[/quote]

(edit: clearly I don't remember how tags work)

Honestly, you are going to have to get over yourself. This isn't how training works. And you know this or you wouldn't have made your original post.

Gizmo2019

Thanks Tchuck, I think your post pretty much sums it up and it’s quite accurate. I do struggle with my life commitments vs training vs getting a good workout.

my thinking was, all I can do is about 30-45 min on a treadmill, what can I do to improve my aerobic capacity until I hit the road and properly train?

i knew I’d hit a limit on treadmill training and perhaps this is it and it’s time to move on (I’ve thought this way for about a month now). I was also hoping to “prepare” myself for road running (after having only run on a fast moving cushy belt, for months), since it’s easier to run on a treadmill. I was hoping not to start from square 1 on the road.

the carb depletion portion was what I was originally asking about. But I’m not weight/muscle training so I was hesitant to add something new to my diet.

I think I’ve been going pretty gradual till now as it took me 5 mos to shave off 10-15 min from my original time. I know I need start distance tho.

I have about a month to start so in the meantime I guess I’ll figure something out.

thank you

Gizmo2019

Honestly, you are going to have to get over yourself. This isn't how training works. And you know this or you wouldn't have made your original post.

I hesitated writing on here! I knew in the back of my head I was doing it “wrong” for marathon training (since I’m only working on speed endurance). But was truly wondering if anyone popped anything into their diet before a run to help with endurance. I’ve read that runners need that “day off” to recover. Cross training is good (this is what I think my fat burn program is) and to increase distance slowly. And include interval sprints within runs.

i plan to follow all that’ once I get on a real road. So all I can do now is prepare for the road.

Gizmo2019

My goal is to run 10 miles by August. On a real road!

The only trick is finding time to do this 2-3xs a week.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Getting enough sleep is going to help you more than what ever you eat.

there has been plenty of junk food champion runners.

but never one that didn’t get enough sleep day after day

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Gizmo2019

Getting enough sleep is going to help you more than what ever you eat.

there has been plenty of junk food champion runners.

but never one that didn’t get enough sleep day after day

👍😀got it! I’m going to focus on this.

SMART Approach

Gizmo, here is some structure for your 4 runs that can help you with your transition to the road in upcoming weeks while also giving you a good work out you are looking for without frying you out.

1. Easy 10 min. Then 1 min harder ( focus on great running form and controlled breathing), then 2-3 min easy until recovered, repeat until your run is done.  No walking. If so, you are going too hard.

2. Easy 10-15 min then. Run hard 20 sec intervals with good form....jog recover fully and repeat 6-10 times. A bit faster than the 1 min intervals above. But not all out spring. No walking.

3. First half of run I want you to run comfortable pace. 2nd half of run pick up pace each 3-5 min gradually until running fairly hard the last 5 min. At no point should you have to stop to walk. If so, you are going you hard. Be gradual increasing paces.

4. Run your 45 min run at a comfortable pace without stopping or walking. I know it will be tough to stay at same pace but you need to. Comfortable pace. Should not be fried when done. You can do this for one run.

Give it a try a week and see how you feel.  I think you will feel better. BTW, you need no fancy carbs or proteins before your runs. You just need more fitness and smarter training and you will feel better about your runs.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Gizmo2019

Thank you Tchuck. I’m going to try this today. Usually I do #3 every day. But I think my body is too used to that and I need to move into these more frequent intervals. I always dreaded them bc I can’t stand stopping or slowing down bc it takes more effort to get back in there but now I get it!

thanks for motivating me to change my ways. I’ve been so weary of intervals and just wanted to go gradually faster and longer. It’s worked for me this far (on a treadmill).

Ill let you know how it goes!

Gizmo2019

Btw, I went to bed early last night (10:30-11). It very hard to ignore my tasks! But I did it.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Good with 4 kids you need to take care of yourself

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Gizmo2019

Hi everyone, I tried out Tchucks schedule and it’s worked out pretty great. The first day I added .5% incline and 1.3 mph to my hard run. Those were FUN but difficult in recovery. So in the great words of rlopez, I “I got over myself!” And went back to flat incline. I think that’s what’s been throwing me off. Even tho it’s only .5% it’s too long. I read that in order to replicate outside conditions/effort, to increase the incline. It’s strange bc for 1min and 15 sec I’m able to run 5.9-6 mph at higher inclines (2%, 3.5%, 5%, 6.5%). But I suppose it’s shorter periods.

i found that I love the intervals. I thought I’d hate them, the starting, stopping, starting again.

today (day 4) I stuck it out and ran 1 pace except I ended every day with a 1min super sprint. Strangely my toes were burning at the end of today’s run. Maybe bc if the non variation in speed? My gear is fine I think...

im going to stick to this routine and use it as base. My problem is I always want to beat me from the day before, faster, stronger. But it’s more of a pacing thing, huh. Accumulate miles no matter how fast you are, be able to breathe.

thank you all!

Gizmo2019

Btw my friends marathon program is to just run 45 min 3 times a week on their own. Then join the group once a week to run accumulating miles per week. Every weekend they run 2 miles more than the previous wknd till they get to about 22miles.

what do you think of that? There’s no speed training. Endurance only?

Christirei

i'm sure you could finish a marathon with that type of training....

SMART Approach

Hi everyone, I tried out Tchucks schedule and it’s worked out pretty great.....

Great, stick with it and don't have mindset of beating previous work outs or you will be back walking again, That is also a "racing in training mentality". I would rather you just do a race. Also, let's get super fit on flat running before worrying about doing inclines on treadmill Smile

.5 % incline is just fine.