Next Marathon (Read 632 times)

So I am aiming on doing the Indianapolis Marathon on October 18, 2008. I ran Country Music Marathon in Nashville on April 26. I want to bring down my time significantly, but I know that most training programs are 18-20 week programs. I know if I don't have a program to get me going, then I probably will struggle getting out the door. So, what's a good read or site that will help me plan for the in between time, or even give me a good 30 week program?
      What MPW did you run prior to CMM?
      "On most days, run easy. On some days, run hard. But not too hard."
        Here's a link to a training plan that's 35 weeks long. http://www.runninginjuryfree.org/marathonplan.html You could probably jump in a few weeks into the program, since you already have a base from your CMM training. Lorrie
        trojancinephile

Hal Higdon has a 4 week recovery program from a marathon. http://www.halhigdon.com/postmarathon/zeroweek0.html After that, or even if you don't do Hal Higdon's thing, why not make your own plan? You can find a 5k or 10k near you that is scheduled about 18-20 weeks before the Indianapolis marathon and train for a PR in the meantime. Or you can build a better base, work on hills, or put running on the back burner for a few weeks to concentrate on stength training or biking or anything else you like to do. I think I'm like you, regardless of whether I have a goal or not in mind, if I don't have my runs planned out ahead of time, I find it hard to keep up with it. So even if you just want to make sure you don't lose fitness, grab a calendar or make a chart on your computer and write down the number of miles or minutes you want to run each day and what type of workout it will be each day, until you can start training for your marathon. Hope that was helpful. Smile
            I forgot that I can just read your log to check mpw Smile. -Take 2 weeks doing "whatever" but focusing on recovery. -Then do Pfitzinger Basebuilding B plan, which starts at 25 mpw and ends at 40mpw over 10 weeks. -Then do Pfitzinger 18week/55mpw marathon plan. You will get a big PR!
              If I were you, I would not even start to focus on a training plan right now. Your main objective for the next few weeks should be active recovery with light running and cross training such as swimming and/or cycling. Once you are done recovering, then work on building up your base to a mileage that seems comfortable and that you can sustain. I recomend about 30-35 miles per week and then look into a program. Remember your core as well. Core strength will help keep you upright in those last miles of the marathon where you've basically lost the will to live. The reason you need to work on your base again is because the marathon literally tears you up and a lot of training programs that are out there have speed work/strides in them. Because of what you just put your body through, you are not ready for that intesity of training unless you have some wicked desire for an injury. You have about 5 months to do this in which is plenty of time so there is no need to rush. Take these next two months and concentrate on building up your aerobic base and THEN start looking at 18 week training programs. If you start into a regimented training program now, the chances of you burning out are extremely high just because your body and quite possibly your mind isn't ready right now. So take it easy for another week then slowly ramp up your mileage and rebuild your base. After 6-8 weeks then you will be ready to start another training program. MTA: I agree with the poster above about using Pfitz's plans. Go get his book Advanced Marathoning. It's the best marathon book I've read about solid training advice! Even if you don't follow his plan exactly, it's an excellent guide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cool
              Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                I agree with the above poster too. Going back to a basebuilding program initially is really the best thing you can do. (edit sorry didn't see the MTA bit until now, what does MTA mean? modification something?) I can send you the Pfitzinger one (I have it in a spreadsheet) that I mentioned earlier if you want. It would definitely help you to read the books (Road Racing for Serious Runners, Advanced Marathoning) though.
                  If you could send me the spreadsheet, that'd be awesome, just so I can look over it. makers@fwbbc.edu I'm just really checking out my options right now. I am looking for something to maintain my base and get a bit faster, but at the same time, keep me committed.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Louisville has a VERY fast marathon that same weekend, on Sunday October 19. Also, there will be a new Nashville marathon along the downtown and two rivers greenways on October 4. It should also be very fast.
                    JakeKnight

Flying Pig is on Sunday and just four hours away. Or if you feel like being conservative and don't mind the plane trip, Palos Verdes is on 5/17. Great PR race. And a whole 3 weeks away. Just sayin'.
                      Also, there will be a new Nashville marathon along the downtown and two rivers greenways on October 4. It should also be very fast.
                      Is that for sure? Or is this just another tease?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

Did you get that spreadsheet?