Cool Running log import is finished (Read 3935 times)

eric :)

Hello everyone! I just completed the Cool Running log import. As I mentioned in "Behind the Scenes", if you have a Cool Running log and would like to import the data into RunningAhead.com, drop me a note and I'll import it for you. It's a bit more work for me, but it will help ensure that your log will be imported correctly, and will also give me a chance to make sure that my import code works properly. If you have data from a different running log, and wish to import it, let me know and I'll see if I can create an importer for it. The next feature I'll be working on is user definable run types so you can add your own! It should be useful for most people. I'm still trying to nail down the requirements for run scheduling because it's not easy to add. eric Smile
      Hi Eric Fantastic site! I've just discovered it and was part way through manually transferring my cool running log to running ahead and noticed this post. It would be really great if you could import my data across as I'm certain that i'll make some mistakes via the manual process. How can I go about doing this? Simon

Simon, Thank you for the kind words and welcome! Could you send me an email through the feedback form (a link is located at the lower right hand corner of every page) and we'll go from there. I don't want to post my email address in the forums to cut down on the amount of spam, and not to be hard to reach. eric Smile
        cenkb

Hi, I just started a new log here and have been using coolrunning for number of years. I was actually looking for ways to import my coolrunning log - can you please let me know how it is done.
          Wingz

Professional Noob

coolrunning has instructions on their site on how to download your log to a spreadsheet or something... drop Eric a line via the "feedback" button at the bottom of the screen there and see what you guys can work out! Welcome! I used to use coolrunning too, but this log is SO much better! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Nice one Eric! Is there any chance this will eventually become a tool that the users can use themselves i.e. without admin intervention?

booyaa.org - what's he running from?

Nice one Eric! Is there any chance this will eventually become a tool that the users can use themselves i.e. without admin intervention?
                The problem with such an import tool is that once it is imported, it can't be undone. So if you find out that something wasn't imported correctly, it's too late. The only solution is to delete the individual entries and try again, which can get quite time consuming. If I'm importing it, I can run the log against my test machine to be sure that everything is correct before the real import. If I create a set of instructions, and the user follows it to the T, I don't see why the user can't do it himself. However, my experience is that most people don't follow instructions Big grin

Imminent Catastrophe

Can you write something that will import from little scraps of paper and post-it notes? Big grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Wingz

Professional Noob

Ooooh! Even better, can you write something that'll log the runs automatically and I won't have to enter a thing? Clowning around

Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

Why stop there ... can it actually plan the route and do the run for me while I relax with a beer? Clowning around ps Poor humour due to bad weather for our long-weekend in the UK

Running ... just keep running!

Wingz

Professional Noob

Heh... and can I have it automatically subtract an extra 3 minutes from my 5K race times... Evil grin ... and add 3 minutes to selected competitors... No, wait... better make it 10 minutes each way... no, wait... I'd need 20 in order to actually win the thing... Roll eyes Sheesh. Some people run so fast!!!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Can you write something that will import from little scraps of paper and post-it notes? Big grin
                          Yes, or one that scrapes nikerunning.com, which has no export function. That would be awesome!!
                            I would love my cool running log imported, how do I go about that?

*´¨) ¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.*¨) (¸.·´ (¸.·´ *Daisy*

Wingz

Professional Noob

Export it from the Coolrunning site using their tools, and then email it to Eric using the feedback form (button on the bottom of this page). Welcome! Love your sig file!

Yeha. What Janell said :-)