Shin splint success stories (Read 68 times)

tritone

Hi - shin splints had gotten me down. Any success stories you can share would be much appreciated.  The MD i went to told be to wear inserts and take Meloxicam for two weeks, then it should get better (along with strength training and some stretching).   Has anyone gotten through them without having to take more than a week off?

SMART Approach

A lot of dorsiflexion strength work, calf stretching.......do for months or rest of your life. I was able to manage condition for months without it going away. For me, when I got orthotics, my issues were resolved. It was pretty amazing. We are all different though.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Mriley16

I had many false starts in my attempts at “being a runner” due to shin splints. Ultimately, a slow methodical approach to training, including plenty of strength training, as well as patience when it came to increases in speed and distance did the trick for me. I always warm up, stretch well, and roll my calves out every night if I can. Like others have said through, everyone is different. I have heard orthotics, improving your technique, weight loss, etc all being factors in shin splints and other overuse type injuries. Good luck in your recovery and don’t let it get you down, take it slow if you have to and don’t compare yourself to other runners (or your younger self if that applies). If you’re patient I’m sure you’ll be back to your accustomed speed and distance.

tritone

Thanks!  I think I do suffer from TMTS (too much too soon) and some days instead of running have been working on strengthening which I’m sure will help.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

It's not about too much too soon.

Stretches and rolling may reduce the pain symptoms, but will only increase bodily damage.

Shin splints are a byproduct of too much forward lean in your running form. Over pronators are also of greater vulnerability.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

False.  I had bad shin splints as a beginner runner when switching sports from bike racing.  My running form didn't change at all but as my legs adapted to running the shin splints disappeared.  It took probably a year of transition during that time as I alternated days of running and cycling.

Stretches and rolling may reduce the pain symptoms, but will only increase bodily damage.

Shin splints are a byproduct of too much forward lean in your running form. Over pronators are also of greater vulnerability.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

False.  I had bad shin splints as a beginner runner when switching sports from bike racing.  My running form didn't change at all but as my legs adapted to running the shin splints disappeared. 

Adaptation is change....

So yes, you do have to alter the way you run to decrease the injury risk. Basic biomechanics.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

False. As previously stated, I did not alter the way I ran.

Adaptation is change....

so yes, you do have to alter the way you run to decrease the injury risk. Basic biomechanics.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yes, I got shin splints as a new runner, too.  I didn't change the way I ran, and they went away after a little while.  That was 11 years ago.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

False. As previously stated, I did not alter the way I ran.

But you don't have the advantage of a complete lack of experience from which to preach your running gospel.

JimR

This chiropractic site has a meta tag for 'chin splints':

http://sancarloschiropractor.com/tag/chin-splints/

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

When I started running in junior high school, I got awful shin splints.  A set of orthopedic inserts (custom fit by a podiatrist) solved the problem and I’ve never had trouble since except for during an experimental phase of minimalist shoes.

Leah, mother of dogs

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

This chiropractic site has a meta tag for 'chin splints':

http://sancarloschiropractor.com/tag/chin-splints/

Caused by eating too much, too soon, I presume.

Mriley16

The jester strikes again.

Perhaps the king of pseudoscientific running advice could take a word of advice from a fellow under-informed and overconfident commenter:

Look around at how almost everyone but you comports themselves on this board, you are perhaps the single bloviating outlier. I would imagine that if you lightened your absolutist tone even slightly someone might dare take you seriously or consider doing so.

I know, I know... “don’t feed the troll.”

I had pretty bad shinsplints for a couple of months when I started running. Bad shoe choices and muscle imbalance due to not used to distance running seemed to be the cause. I did lean forward too which puts more stress on lower legs. I adjusted my gait more upright so Im using my glutes and upper legs more. I think its mostly a new runner thing though. You should eventually be able to get on top of it.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "