PR Question (Read 1491 times)

jules2

A PB training is just a fast training run, we can never know our true potential unless we race with or against others. To me racing on your own equates to having sex on your own, now isn't there a word for that?

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Right on Hereford...

Don't let this thread get boring again. More elitist snarky screeds, please.
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Alrighty, then. I personally don't even consider all PR's run in races to really be PR's. Example: I've never raced an 8k (or 5-miler). So, if I find me an 8k to run this weekend, and I run all-fricking out, I've got me an 8k PR, right? Well, technically yes, but I wouldn't count it -- I'd check that "Exclude from PR" box that Eric included on the site. Why? Because right now, the average pace that I could blast an 8k at would probably be slower than the pace of my 25k PR from 19 years ago. So it's not in the same league as my other times. Now, as we get older, we make adjustments. Maybe I'll start counting Masters PRs once I hit 40. It's up to the user. In my opinion, a PR should: 1) be an all-out best effort 2) preferably, it should be in a race. I count any track PR as a PR, whether it's a race or not, because a track is a track. But I probably would never count anything else. Besides, I'm not gonna go out and try running a 10k solo time trial anytime soon. And since I'm so much slower now than my PR's, this is something I don't have to worry about. If I ever get fast enough to approach any of my PR's again, I'll be racing all the damn time to have a crack at them.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jules2

My point is that you will always run faster in a race, why else would they have pacemakers? The only exception I can think of is solo track cycling but then they only do that solo to avoid drafting as they would go even quicker then. I race 10 mile time trials on a bike and although you start at one minute intervals and are not allowed to slipstream you take more interest in how you compare to others the same night and thats what spurs you on.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

OK, how about the races you run where you blow away some long-standing, but shorter, PR. Do you count the new PR you ran that was part of the longer race, or leave the old one? Example, for those confused. YOu run a 1/2 marathon in 1:40 (all out effort). Two-three months later, you run a marathon in 2:59, with the first half in 1:30 and the 2nd half in 1:29. Do you now count the 1;29 as your new 1/2 marathon PR? Or is the 1:40 still your PR, since that was the best you did in a 1/2 marathon race? And, if you count the new 1:29 as your PR, how do you enter it on RA without screwing up your mileage totals?
              Context is everything. Post the quote that you posted in context and make your point or bugger off. Randomly picking phrases from other posts and pretending they were said to support some point is just childish and lame. Disappointing, really. Try again. I know you can do better.
              Really? You wonder why all remarks related to your original post have become silly. The reason in point is that it was silly to begin with to question that which you did. Duh! I did offer an antidote btw. Write a post to eric in the "Suggestions and Feature Requests" for what you seek. Or are you afraid he will shoot down your childishly lame request? No, you sir can do better by getting your arse out to a race and competing.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Dave

To me racing on your own equates to having sex on your own, now isn't there a word for that?
                For me it was two words: High School

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Much like PRed, it seemed you just wanted to join in the bashing without really having anything to contribute.
                  I contributed this: "But I do agree that eric could add a call as, or call not, any running entry (not just a race) as a PR for those who so choose. Hows that? Ask for it if you got the balls! m'K!

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

I think it was a PR!
                    Priceless. But forever what will you do if it was Tanya? Designate it as a race or what? I'm so lost as what to do since I too have experienced a fastest time on a course of mine, but I can't save it as a PR. Confused How are you others handling this tumultuous conundrum?

Ricky

mikeymike

And, if you count the new 1:29 as your PR, how do you enter it on RA without screwing up your mileage totals?
                      You don't. Something doesn't have to be displayed in your RA running log to exist.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

You don't. Something doesn't have to be displayed in your RA running log to exist.
                        NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

The Thunder

Are you God?! Seriously...you know EVERYTHING! Wait...that means you know what I did in the shower this morning....damn.

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

xor

Are you God?! Seriously...you know EVERYTHING! Wait...that means you know what I did in the shower this morning....damn.
                            (unshun) I have the thread for you. (shun)

Right on Hereford...

OK, how about the races you run where you blow away some long-standing, but shorter, PR. Do you count the new PR you ran that was part of the longer race, or leave the old one? Example, for those confused. YOu run a 1/2 marathon in 1:40 (all out effort). Two-three months later, you run a marathon in 2:59, with the first half in 1:30 and the 2nd half in 1:29. Do you now count the 1;29 as your new 1/2 marathon PR? Or is the 1:40 still your PR, since that was the best you did in a 1/2 marathon race?
                              Neither. Your new PR is 1:30. You can't count the 2nd half of a marathon as a half-marathon PR, because you had the advantage of a running start. There is a similar rule in swimming, where only the lead-off leg of a relay is eligible for world records, because the other legs have the advantage of anticipating the start. Take that, bitches!
                              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Neither. Your new PR is 1:30. You can't count the 2nd half of a marathon as a half-marathon PR, because you had the advantage of a running start. There is a similar rule in swimming, where only the lead-off leg of a relay is eligible for world records, because the other legs have the advantage of anticipating the start. Take that, bitches!
                                Somehow, I think the advantage of a flying start is negligible for a 13-mile distance. Unless you're trying to count a split as a new PR by less than a second. And...it's your PR. You can count it how ever you want. WHAT NOW, BITCHES? Wink

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.