What proportion of runners qualify for Boston? (Read 415 times)

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I was trying to explain the significance of Boston to a non-runner. He asked me how many marathoners qualify - not necessarily run the race, but are fast enough to qualify - for Boston each year. Do any of you know this? Is it 10% of marathoners? More? Less?

Thanks.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Slo

My guess would be less than 10%,

But I feel that the percentage that could qualify is far greater.

If you really want the answer you could look up the results from a few marathons by AG, count the qualifiers compared to finishers and have a "close enough" answer.

L Train

I bet less than 10%.

Make something up that sounds impressive, but I don't think there's a "right" answer. Just sound authoritative. Add a decimal. Like, "oh, yeah, Bob, I checked, and according to World Marathon dB, it was 5.7% from 2000-2010."

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

10% is a very good guess. This article is a couple years old but it used a sampling of 22 US marathons covering 108,000 finishers, or about 15% of all US marathon finishers. It's probably a decent enough sample size.

It shows that in 2012 the percentage of marathoners who qualified for Boston was 9.13%.

Runners run

xhristopher

Are some runners counted twice in this sample?

I gotta believe some runners are counted multiple times. There's probably a maniac or two who are counted 22 (or 21) times.

Runners run

delicate flower

It shows that in 2012 the percentage of marathoners who qualified for Boston was 9.13%.

Which puts me in the 90.87% majority.  Hmph.

<3

+1

Who wants to be a ten-percenter anyway?

Dave

It puts me in the 99.9% majority who didn't even run a marathon in 2012. Well, not a certified one anyway.

Runners run

ultramarathon/triathlete

The correct answer:  100%

Everyone else is not a real runner.

(I kid, I kid!)

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                        Gatorade Endurance Team

#artbydmcbride

Some runners don't even run marathons at all!

Runners run

No more marathons

If you take the results for Boston out, which by definition are repeats, the percent goes down to 8%.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

montag

Super Pro Lurker

If you take the results for Boston out, which by definition are repeats, the percent goes down to 8%.

Not necessarily: I qualified to run Boston by running Boston. So theoretically I could keep running it each year without running another marathon as long as I continued to qualify.

Not necessarily: I qualified to run Boston by running Boston. So theoretically I could keep running it each year without running another marathon as long as I continued to qualify.

Plus the sample only covers 15% of US marathons so most of the people who were qualified and qualified again at Boston probably ran their original qualifier at a race that's not captured in the sample. They would not be counted twice "by definition."

But we're way down in the weeds now.

With all this math we still have not significantly improved upon the original 10% guess.

Runners run