Cryotherapy Night before Mile (Read 57 times)

EpicBossRunner69

I bought a groupon a year ago for three Cryotherapy sessions and had done two three minute sessions 48 hours before the race. I have a slight predicament as the time slot that I chose was booked and I would have to do it the night before the race. I’m running the 1600 and 800 double and was curious if this could produce a negative rather than a positive effect. Is Cryotherapy 24 hours from the race a good choice?

Thanks!

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

What are you treating with the cryotherapy?

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

EpicBossRunner69

What are you treating with the cryotherapy?

Just a three minute full body session. It won’t be geared for any particular part of my body.

SMART Approach

What benefit are you looking for? Don't spend the money if you have to pay. I think the old icing and cold method is waning. Research is showing no benefits for healing or recovery. The question is.....is it detrimental?? After my half on Sunday, I have used heat and no NSAIDs, and have never felt better in my recovery 3 days after. Also took no NSAIDs. Don't do anything different is my advice or stay with what works for YOU.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I don't see a reason not to do it. I would keep the appointment, and do extra warm-up time if needed.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

The real issue here is that your title says you're running "the mile" -- which is a real race -- but your question says you're running the 1600 -- WHICH IS A MADE UP THING!

#BBTM

As for the question, ice baths are among tools to raise muscle tension before races, cryotherapy should work same way.

EpicBossRunner69

The real issue here is that your title says you're running "the mile" -- which is a real race -- but your question says you're running the 1600 -- WHICH IS A MADE UP THING!

#BBTM

As for the question, ice baths are among tools to raise muscle tension before races, cryotherapy should work same way.

Yeah, I find it a little strange we don't just go the extra nine meters. I just wanted to ask to make sure if it was all good in the hood to do in the night before. Also, I purchase this over a year ago and am worried they won't be the time cross rolls around.

EpicBossRunner69

What benefit are you looking for? Don't spend the money if you have to pay. I think the old icing and cold method is waning. Research is showing no benefits for healing or recovery. The question is.....is it detrimental?? After my half on Sunday, I have used heat and no NSAIDs, and have never felt better in my recovery 3 days after. Also took no NSAIDs. Don't do anything different is my advice or stay with what works for YOU.

Sometimes toward the end of the season after all the mileage it's just nice to get in some mental/physical pre-race recovery.

Sorry if double posts aren't allowed I'm a new member.