Crystal Coast 1/2 and 5k (Read 335 times)

Running Dad

Well I must say today has been the most interesting race of my big career of 4 that I have ever been part of. It started out nice this morning with the rain and wind. The race postponed 30 minutes, yet they didn't tell half of the runners this as they were lining up, but eventually it started. I can't comment on the half but I can on the 5k. It was great. A nice little run, flat as usual here at sea level. My brother had joined me for his first race, even though he ran track in HS. Well we started, which in itself was an ordeal as the timing mats were not set up and the person starting the race didn't even let us know that we should be getting ready to run. I got on the main road and hit a nice 8mm, which for me is fantastic, and tried to set pace for my brother. He couldn't keep up so I just went out. It felt great. Long story short. It rained hard. The wind blew hard. And I was introduced to the dreaded chaffed nipple. (go ahead and laugh). There were just so many problems at this race and was wondering what some people might think about our delimmas. First off, how should I feel knowing(thinking) that our 5k was actually longer. I asked alot of people at the end if they felt that it was a 'long 5k' and everyone said yes. My GPS said I actually ran 3.24 miles and my times didn't agree with my pace. Next the 5k'ers were kinda just shuffled to the side. When it came time for awards someone came down announcing that we go upstairs but the 5k awards were already announced. To which we replied "Thanks for letting us know" to which she replied "Well the 5k runners were getting attitudes." What's with that? Are we not as special because I only ran 3.1 vs 13.1? I'm confused. The whole race was very much a cf from start to finish. Don't know what else to say. I got tons but I'm really tired.. btw i ran a 26:36 (by the timer) and placed first in my age group. Yeah it's a sad day when that's all it takes but it's still my first first.
    Things to do this year:
    Not get an injury
    Things done this year:
    Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??
      Yikes. Sorry you had such a bad experience. I had a few friends who were running the 1/2 - I haven't heard from them yet today to hear about their experience. I ran in the first race of this 1/2 marathon series in Rocky Mount last December and everything seemed to go great. Actually, the running group I am in helped get the race together, etc. Was the weather the primary cause or was it just poor planning and race execution? How was the turnout?

Running Dad

I ran the one in Rocky Mount as well and felt that it was put together and run very well. The turnout was great. Quite a few for the half and maybe 75 or so for the 5k. I'm sure the weather had a lot to do with it. the director, I guess that's who he was, stated that because of the weather alot of volunteers hadn't shown up that morning and a few of the water stations wouldn't be up. Us 5kers didn't even get to see a water station, which really is no problem, but I'm sure there were a few people that would like to have seen one. The weather was horrible, especially off the water. The gusts were strong and one hit me like a ton of bricks. I just hope that as bad as things were yesterday that they decide to keep it in the series because it's nice to have a early spring race that's local for me. Rocky Mount is my excuse to go back home for a day. I really like the series and just hope this doesn't hurt it. My wife was telling me about the first woman to cross stating that the timing was screwed up, they didn't have a finish clock for us to see, and she refused to step across the mat. I don't know what was up with that but it was definitely an interesting time.
        Things to do this year:
        Not get an injury
        Things done this year:
        Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??