Oh god, what a weekend (i'm so sore!) (Read 582 times)

Hey guys .. What a long, crazy weekend I had. It began with my car breaking down on Thursday, so I was forced to walk everywhere all weekend ( I didn't mind this, because when walking to the gym, it was a good warm up before running! Big grin), but then I didn't get the car back until Saturday night. But Saturday I also added a new half mile to my run! Go Me!! Then Yesterday I Spent 8 hours moving from my Dad's house into my grandm'a house. Up and down 2 flights in his house and then up and down 2 flights in my grandma's house. My god, what a workout. (thank god my gf helped me out though!!) My calfs are on fire from it all! I wanted to run today, but I do feel a bit sore still. I should probably rest until at least tomorrow right? I just have all this stress I need to release Smile
    "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine
    jeffdonahue

I say go for an easy run, it might loosen up your calves. I did a Half Marathon yesterday and my quads were pretty sore and stiff this morning but I still got in a 5 miler (man was it slow though).
        I say go for an easy run, it might loosen up your calves. I did a Half Marathon yesterday and my quads were pretty sore and stiff this morning but I still got in a 5 miler (man was it slow though).
        Hehe. Damn, half marathon. I haven't even done a 5K yet.
        "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine

Giants Fan

I agree, go for an easy run. I did my long run yesterday and ended up a little sore, got on the dreadmill this morning and did an easy 3 1/2 and felt so much better afterwards! So, go out and loosen up those muscles, you'll be glad you did afterwards!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

uncontrollable

Considering your baseline distance - you may just need a rest day. Doing all that up & down stairs IS work for your muscles if you don't do it on a regular basis. Maybe bike or elliptical? Yoga to stretch out? If you really want to run - maybe just an easy mile? If it feels worse & worse or you have pain before the mile - finish it by walking. 48hrs (DOMS- delayed onset muscle soreness) tends to be the worst it will feel (tomorrow). Just listen to your body - rest is not going to sabotage your efforts. Sometimes runners shy away from complete 'rest days' when it is actually what your body could use to recover, regroup, & rebuild! Yes

peace

evtish

So is this running crap all about running sore all the freakin time! Yeah, I'm pissed. I traded in my Tues/Thurs spin classes, which I had strategically scheduled to give my legs a rest, w running more miles bc I was falling behind some stupid freakin cartoon pink f'n bunny and people are advising to run more f'n miles if u want to get faster. Well, I'm getting f'n slower cause my achilles/calf/quads/hammys are always f'n sore, and I'm too much of an obessed idiot to stop running. Now I have to stop to prevent injuring myself beyond repair. Sorry for all the f'n's, but I'm pissed at myself. I told myself I wouldn't fall into the overtraining syndrome, yet here I go again!! So, can you really run faster on 4 days/wk, 3 quality days, using lower impact biking or elliptical or rest on the other days to heal up???? Has anyone in this forum ever done this sucessfully??? Now I'll shut up 'cause I have to ice my f'n calves.....again. Angry
              evtish

Ummm...Sorry.....no offense. Miss Pratt - will u be at the Good Times?
                evtish

Went to the gym at lunch and weightlifted and did easy pace elliptical for ~10 minutes. Legs starting to feel better now Big grin. So it seems that the very easy run to loosen up the legs is good advice - there's some smart experienced people on this site Big grin Now off to due my duty as a true Irishman...and drink until I fall off the barstool Big grin Cheers! O'Leary