Heart Rate Help (Read 1049 times)

jicama

Did we win?

[...] excellent runners for puppets. [...]

I get it now - sock puppet.  Nice, Jeff.

2014 races"

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb.8, 2:22

Umstead Trail Marathon, Raleigh, NC, Mar. 1, 5:48

Johnston Health Champions 5K, Smithfield, NC, 26:53

Rattler Trail Half-Marathon, Sanford, NC, 2:52 (wow)

2013 races:

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb. 2, 1:56:40 (PR)

New River Marathon, Todd, NC, May 4, 4:59:32 (PR)

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

Why is it sideways?

Sorry Jim, you are real! I am not still convinced about IamBre, though.

Nice work in the half.

I am not still convinced about IamBre, though.

Jeff, I do not know many people in real life on RA, but I happen to know that IamBre is real based on dialogue I had with her within another thread. (see the 4th post down).

She indirectly knows my father in law through her dad.

The rest of you clowns, I have no idea about Smile.

(I didn't know what you meant by the puppet comment either.)

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Iam Bre

Thanks Mark!  I will check out the info on your site.  No, Bre is not from Chronicles, it is short for my first name, BreAnna.

I have continued to train with my HR monitor over the last several months.  I look forward to reading the material in your link.

Bre

Hi Iam Bre. (Is Bre related to the horse in Chronicles?)

I'm a big believer in HR training. I can understand why many don't because it took me a while to embrace it, but WOW the amazing help it's been to me, I only wish I had done it earlier. I'm convinced that most who don't do it are either intimidated by the work/knowledge it takes to start. One DOES feel lost a bit at first because the numbers mean very little until you become accustom to them and learn how to calibrate a bit for conditions.

Please visit my site that will give you more. (http://markrice.com/running/heart_rate_training.html)  I'm also going to check out the link that others provided above... looks interesting.

People who will tell you not to do it mean well, but I couldn't disagree with them more.  Let me know if I can help at all.

Iam Bre

LOL!  I am definitely real - I just quit logging in to running ahead for a while.

Sorry Jim, you are real! I am not still convinced about IamBre, though.

Nice work in the half.

Iam Bre

ausmus,

I have noticed the same for me - I run comfortably in the 170's - 180's is a bit tougher and 190's are just uncomfortable!  I also like the data points and to watch my improvement over time.  Thanks for the positive comments.  Wink

Bre

I think different people are built differently. From what I've read, the majority of people consider upper 150s/160s as quite high, whereas for me, I run comfortably in the 170s, and only start feeling real discomfort if I exceed 190.

Using an HRM has been, for me, a great benefit as I started running and learning my body - for example, on some of my more intense runs, prior to the HRM, I was usually feeling quite unwell after the runs, but I figured that was just because I was out of shape, and I needed to keep pushing myself. My first intense run with my HRM, I realized that the issue was that I was hitting almost 210 bpm. I immediately started taking it *much* easier, and I'm very glad that I have the HRM... Big grin

These days I still use my HRM, even though I can usually tell around where my heart rate is by feel, to within 5 or so bpm, but now I mostly use it for either forcing myself to keep my pace slow on long easy runs, and just data collection - I like to see my HR go down over time for the same length/speed/intensity of run, and I just like seeing data points in general... Big grin

Iam Bre

rgilbert,

Thanks for the advice - When I first started out last year every run was uncomfortable and there was no easy.  The HR monitor helped me determine when I needed to slow down and when I could continue or increase my pace.  I have used it for several months now and I am currently training for a HM - very excited about it!

Thanks again,

Bre

I think heart rate training can be a useful tool...but it's very easy to get overly obsessed with.  If you use it as a tool to help you learn to listen to your body, more power to you.  It can be awesome for that.

If you use it in place of that, well.  It's inadequate.

You have a ton of room to improve.  Run more.  Run often.  Run easy, mostly.  Sometimes, run fast.  At this stage of the game, you don't need to get bogged down in details unless, perhaps, you have trouble telling yourself, honestly, if a run is easy or not.

markrice

Geezer trying for speed

Hi Bre. Way to revive a 7 month old thread. :-)

I'm not sure why I've seen these "puppet" comments. Maybe there are people on this board who really are inventing alternate egos to set up a conversation (I'm assuming that's what it means... but I'm not totally sure).

Since this thread was last active, Boston 2013 was my third HR governed race and, performance-wise, it was great (with all due respect for the tragedies). I was determined to test my limits using HR so I could catch any immanent performance drop, and I did.  You can see the race report if it's of interest to you (with many HR comments).

Anyone could see races, etc. on www.markrice.com/running.

I believe in HR training: www.markrice.com/running/heart_rate_training.html