Soda pops affect on running (Read 1112 times)

run4fun8910

Hi, Does anyone know if drinking soda pop affects your running. I realized that when I am at work I drink soda almost all day. So I am quiting that habit. But if it would benefit me I may quit it all together. Does anyone have an experience with doing this personally or know of any research? I currently drink diet soda. Thanks for your help.
    Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The word you are looking for is this: "coke"
        Caffeine isn't good for you in general, so cutting back wouldn't be a bad thing. If you are a girl, something in the pop is shown to decrease bone density. In guys, I think the same study was inconclusive, but could still be an issue. I think it would benefit your health in general more than your running specifically, especially if you are already drinking diet (not a huge drop in calories that you would otherwise have). That's still a good thing, so maybe consider a pop a treat or indulgence, rather than a substitute for water. Disclaimer: Do as I say, not as I do, I am a terrible fountain drink lover, though I have scaled back tremendously in the last year.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What evidence is there that caffeine is not good for you, at least in typical doses? And this. The word you are looking for is this: "coke"
          PWL

Has been

The word you are looking for is this: "coke"
            "Coke" is a white powdery substance imported from Colombia.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

No, coke is COKE!! Geez, it's hard to be a Texan living in Maine! Wink
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes, and "soda" is a white powdery substance imported from the baking aisle at the grocery. And "pop" is a white powdery substance that you see drawn around a cartoon of an exploding balloon.

The Greatest of All Time

No, coke is COKE!! Geez, it's hard to be a Texan living in Maine! Wink
                  That's hilarious. I am from Illinois but went to college at UT Austin and everything in Texas is "Coke". Even Sprite is "Coke". Up here people call it "pop". But to answer the original question, I drink about three cans of diet coke (actually Cherry Coke Zero) and I suffer no ill effects. But I drink plenty of water and some milk too.
                  all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                  PWL

Has been

Yes, and "soda" is a white powdery substance imported from the baking aisle at the grocery.
                    You mean Kroger? Wink

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

That's hilarious. I am from Illinois but went to college at UT Austin and everything in Texas is "Coke". Even Sprite is "Coke". Up here people call it "pop". But to answer the original question, I drink about three cans of diet coke (actually Cherry Coke Zero) and I suffer no ill effects. But I drink plenty of water and some milk too.
                      Cool! I was at Texas from 80 to 86 (BS, MS). My dad still teaches there, so I get to hang out on campus when I visit. I drink diet root beer mostly now. More palatable than some of the other diet drinks, I think.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Running is much more of a mental game, than a physical one. run4fun at viewing your log, I would say a little pop won't do anything to your performance. Unless it is leading you to be dehydrated. Go ahead and indulge a little bit, your running will make up for it. If you are happy your runs will be easier. That being said I am not commenting at all on lasting health effects of too much pop, etc. I don't know about that subject. Day to day fun running will have no effect solely based on a little pop. Have the rest of you seen this before. http://infosthetics.com/archives/2005/08/pop_versus_soda.html It's the only version of the map I could find with a quick google search. Blue = "pop", Greenish = "soda", Red = "Coke". I personally also take "pop" equals midwestern attitude, "coke" equals southern attitude, "soda" equals east and west coast obnoxiousness. Nothing like gross generalization huh Smile
                        run4fun8910

okay. lets use the word "coke". More specifically Diet coke. Even more specific. Diet Dr. Pepper. ignoring the caffeine part since there seems to be studies that contradict each other. I still will be getting pletty of caffeine with the 3 cups of coffee I drink in the morning. But what about the carbonation? I
                          Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn
                            ignoring the caffeine part since there seems to be studies that contradict each other. I still will be getting pletty of caffeine with the 3 cups of coffee I drink in the morning. But what about the carbonation?
                            I think Frank Shorter used to drink flat Coca Cola. Wink

Amy

okay. lets use the word "coke". More specifically Diet coke. Even more specific. Diet Dr. Pepper. ignoring the caffeine part since there seems to be studies that contradict each other. I still will be getting pletty of caffeine with the 3 cups of coffee I drink in the morning. But what about the carbonation? I
                              You'll be fine. I drank 2 to 3 liters of Diet Coke every day for the first six months of my running.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey