You can "measure" most distances without gadgets... (Read 1060 times)

Half Fanatic #846

thanks to the USPS and 9-1-1 GPS Addressing over the last few years. Occaisionally I'll leave the Garmin at home, but I can still tell how far I've run without ever having measured that course before. (Sorry, this does not apply to trails or parks - just roads). FWIW: Whether I live in the country or the city, I can run a road course from almost anywhere and easily determine the distance by paying attention to addresses along the way. Street and highway addresses are marked by GPS to the nearest thousanths of a mile from the nearest intersecting road (there are exceptions). For example, if I do my long run starting at 250 State Road 43, and decide to stop at 11700 SR 43, the total distance run is 11.45 miles (11.700 - .250 = 11.450). Running city blocks with lots of turns would be too complicated for me, but still doable. It's all simple math, but math and oxygen depletion just don't mix! Big grin I'd have to strap a calculator Confused to my wrist. Next time you're out running, you might be checking out mailboxes or house numbers... Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

A Saucy Wench

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Half Fanatic #846

http://www.runningahead.com/tools/map
        Right, but I said "without gadgets". Besides, that feature can't measure accurately from a specific address to another. Wink

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Tyler S

I often just estimate my distance based on time, and how fast I felt I was going. Not very accurate, but close enough I would say.

A Saucy Wench

where do you find the GPS information on a house address?

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Insert witty title here

Right, but I said "without gadgets". Besides, that feature can't measure accurately from a specific address to another. Wink
              Me thinks whatever site you're using to calculate distance between addresses would be as much of a "gadget" as using the map tools on this site.

ThomasRuns Blog
              Twitter

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - [Walter Bagehot]

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I ran without my GPS watch this afternoon, and I ran the last 4mi too fast -- a good reminder of what I get out of my GPS watch -- help keeping from going too fast...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Dave

I ran with my GPS watch on my long run on Sunday. I ran the whole damn thing too fast. Good reminder that even with technology, I lack self control and common sense.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

mikeymike

I often just estimate my distance based on time, and how fast I felt I was going. Not very accurate, but close enough I would say.
                    Yup and just as useful for training purposes as any of the more precise methods.

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

I don't think they laid out the addresses in my town that way. Are you running in a new community?

Runners run

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I don't think they laid out the addresses in my town that way. Are you running in a new community?
                        In Maine, they renumbered all the streets in our town, and I think a lot of the other ones. So we were #4, and now we're #75. It was a big pain, because we had to change our business cards since we have a home business (after a short amount of time, our mail man would not deliver mail to us if someone addressed us at #4!). They said they did it for emergency responders - now they know how far they need to go to get to each house. It's a good idea to use it for gauging distances for running!

A Saucy Wench

ahhh. Yeah, I dont think my town has any gps info readily available from the house #'s. Heck my town has this lovely little habit of giving 3 or 4 names to the same stretch of road. And most of the road's I run on dont have any houses anywhere near the corners. Not sure how I would get any mileage info from any of that.

Old, Slow, Happy

If you-all lived in flat, old Northwest Ohio, you would not have any problems. Everything is laid out in 1 mile squares. You just run how many miles (cross roads) you want. Not too technical. I just need a watch if I want to worry about pace.

an amazing likeness

Street and highway addresses are marked by GPS to the nearest thousanths of a mile from the nearest intersecting road (there are exceptions). For example, if I do my long run starting at 250 State Road 43, and decide to stop at 11700 SR 43, the total distance run is 11.45 miles (11.700 - .250 = 11.450).
                              Hmm...maybe that level of precision was the way it was done down there in the land of hanging chads ( Wink), but up here a guy drove by and they used 75 feet of road frontage for each house number to sort everything out for e-911. And, we don't have all that many mailboxes stay where they were originally planted -- the snow plows weed out the weak each year, so most don't have anything that resembles a house number on them.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

jules2

So do I but I also have a marked 1 mile circuit close to my house to check my pace on.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.