Pfitzinger Marathon Training Plan - An Unsolicited Endorsement / Chicago Race Result (Read 140 times)

smoothrunner99

With all of the posts from runners looking to improve their marathon times, I wanted to share my experience. I know there are threads on years for the past 10+ years that discuss/debate the best approach to marathon training. I wanted to share one that I know WORKS...

The Pfitzinger "Advanced Marathon" training plan has been for me the most effective approach to training. I have now run 30 marathons in the past 18 years, of which I have followed this program for at least half of them. I have used this program in my peak performance days (10 years ago). I ran 2 sub-three marathons in 2009 and several other races at under 3:10.

My latest data point: I just ran Chicago yesterday. I am 44 and it was my 30th marathon - my first one since Boston 2016. My goal was a 3:18. I ran a 3:17:16. It was fantastic. I didn't struggle. I ran totally even splits and finished strong.

I used the 18-week/55mpw program for this results. I followed it 100% PRECISION - REALLY, 100%.

Keys to success:

Follow the program with 100% precision.

Don't skip recovery runs. Do all of the striders. Don't skip pace runs or tempo runs.

Do all the tempo intervals at your race pace that supports your marathon goal time (I use the McMillan Predictor chart). You'll find that throughout training you can gradually improve your 5k race pace.

Once deviation that works for me is to run a half marathon 5 weeks out from race day, which was scheduled to be a race goal pace day. This will give you a good indicator of progress, and is in sync with a day that is a race pace workout anyway.

Doing this plan takes time. You have to decide how you are going to get all of the workouts in. I know that I've had to make adjustments to my work calendar, get up at insane hours, etc. BUT, if you follow this program in earnest, you will be happy with the results. The 55mpw for me is as far as I can go and keep my family/work life in check, though it is challenging.

I wanted to share this because I am amazed how well the program worked for me at this stage of my running life. I am now qualified for Boston at age 45 in 2021, should I choose to do it.

Best of luck,

Ryan

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congratulations on your performance at Chicago, as well as on your diligent preparation for the race!

flyrunnr

Congratulations on your successful training and result. I just wanted to mention that you don't need to follow a plan so closely and have a good result, and sometimes you can actually end up with a less successful result. As we get older, we need to be flexible with our workouts and listen more to our bodies rather than follow the script.

Just to mention some recent experience, I am training with an elite woman now, and she has a coach that was a former Olympian. I am surprised how flexible her training program is.

We do almost all workouts based on time, not mileage, and pace and number the of repetitions are flexible, i.e, 60-75 min Easy runs, or repeats 6-8 x 5min hard, with 1:30-2:00 recovery jog. Lots of do at least 6 repeats and if you feel it, do the 2 bonus repeats, otherwise conserve and come back and fight another day. Don't ever go into the well during training, save it for the race at the end of the cycle.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

flyrunnr

Congratulations on your successful training and result. I just wanted to mention that you don't need to follow a plan so closely and have a good result, and sometimes you can actually end up with a less successful result. As we get older, we need to be flexible with our workouts and listen more to our bodies rather than follow the script.

Just to mention some recent experience, I am training with an elite woman now, and she has a coach that was a former Olympian. I am surprised how flexible her training program is.

We do almost all workouts based on time, not mileage, and pace and number the of repetitions are flexible, i.e, 60-75 min Easy runs, or repeats 6-8 x 5min hard, with 1:30-2:00 recovery jog. Lots of do at least 6 repeats and if you feel it, do the 2 bonus repeats, otherwise conserve and come back and fight another day. Don't ever go into the well during training, save it for the race at the end of the cycle.

Again, congrats on a great race! There is something to be said for good weather and good execution of a race strategy on race day!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Totally agree, I think any canned training plan is meant to be used as a guideline and some runners end up getting injured by following the script to a T.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Congratulations on your training and end result! (Your story gives me a bit of encouragement; I am following the Pfitzinger 55 plan as well (for the first time) in the hope of just being able to break 4 hours...I've been doing the workouts as prescribed but don't feel as though I've gotten any quicker than I was before I started... I just raced a tiny local 5k this past Saturday and felt like I had sandbags for legs Sad Marathon isn't til the end of November, though, so maybe there's hope for me yet...) Again, congrats and thanks for sharing!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Totally agree, I think any canned training plan is meant to be used as a guideline and some runners end up getting injured by following the script to a T.

I'll third this.

Also will add that I wouldn't run tempo intervals at a race pace that supports your goal marathon time. Instead, you should run your tempo intervals at your current fitness, which may not be your goal marathon fitness.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

I followed it 100% PRECISION - REALLY, 100%.

Keys to success:

Follow the program with 100% precision.

Once deviation that works for me...

OK then!

Dave

Also will add that I wouldn't run tempo intervals at a race pace that supports your goal marathon time. Instead, you should run your tempo intervals at your current fitness, which may not be your goal marathon fitness.

Yes although he did mention setting your goal marathon time based on the McMillan calculator, which presumably would be based on current fitness.

That said, anyone without sufficient experience correlating McMillan predictions to reality should take them with a grain of salt. I've never been able run marathons anywhere close to where McMillan said I should.

Also I do concur that Pfitz is a good plan and it worked well for me, although I used the 70mpw version. However after a few cycles, I decided to switch it up and move on to something different. Variety is the spice of life and running. Still, it got me in the mode that if I don't have a midweek 14-15 mile MLR, I don't feel like I'm marathon training.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It's great that you've had success with this plan, but it's not the only plan that can produce success if followed, nor is it the "best" plan.  Different runners respond differently.  For some a Hanson or Hudson plan, or even a Higdon plan, might be the best.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

mikeymike

As the the immortal Crash Davis once said, "If you believe you're running well because you're following Pfitz to the letter or because you're not following Pfitz to the letter or because you wear women's underwear, then you are."

(I may be paraphrasing.)

Runners run

undue monkey

Nobody on this planet ever really chooses a plan. It's all a question of quantum physics, molecular attraction and timing.

grapes

Nobody on this planet ever really chooses a plan. It's all a question of quantum physics, molecular attraction and timing.

Are we... are we getting into a philosophical discussion on the possibly illusory nature of free will?

OK

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Are we... are we getting into a philosophical discussion on the possibly illusory nature of free will?

OK

I think that was predestined.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.