an injury that doesn't hurt? (Read 700 times)

Timbodeener

I've been struggling a bit lately with a strange pain in my left foot. It hurts mid-way back from the toes on the outside edge and up over the top in that same area. Feels like a bad bruise most of the time and occaisionally a sharper quick jolt of pain if I go up on my tippy toes in barefeet (noticed that one this moring while trying to see to the back of one of our kitchen cabinets). Here's the weird thing....it doesn't hurt at all.....not even a twinge, while I'm running. But about an hour after running it starts to get sore again and is pretty much there all the time.....until I run the next time! I especially feel it when in bare feet or flimsy slippers and am walking around....it does not hurt in the heel or arch area at all so I don't think it's PF but I'm not sure. I've just started icing it after running the other day and I massage it as often as I can. Anyway, I am signed up for a 10-mile race in April (never ran that far in my life) and will be starting a 10-week training plan very soon to ramp up my mileage some and throw in some "gentle" speedwork...so I'm a little worried that it could get worse with the additional stress. Do you think I'm OK to run on it since it doesn't hurt during the run itself? I am already registered for the race and it's going to be a "family affair" with a bunch of my sisters, brother-in-laws, neices, nephews and my daughter all participating in either the 10M or a 5K so I really want to do it and be ready for a good showing. What ya think? Thanks, Tim

Lazy idiot

Tim, I had something very similar this past November/December. I'm not sure exactly what the problem was (I was told it may be tendons that are too tight on the outer edge of my foot, but I really don't know... didn't get an x-ray or anything), but I took a month off after Thanksgiving. The rest, combined with a new pair of shoes (moved from stability to neutral), did me wonders. I've gotten back to things in the past few weeks (extremely low mileage) with no pain. I hope you find what works best for you. I guess my only advice is this: if things do not progress well for you, do not let your pride get in the way of keeping you healthy. There will be more 10-mile races, and we'd rather not see you on the bench. Regards, Drew

Tick tock

Timbodeener

Thanks Drew... I also switched over to neutral shoes back in September after having my gait analyzed by the local running shop. I have fairly flat feet and am 210 lbs so I always thought I needed motion control or at least stability shoes if you believe all the current info on the subject....the running shop told me I run on the outsides of my feet and "under-pronate" slightly. The wear on my shoes confirmed it...so neutral shoes were advised and some knee issues did seem to go away a week or so after switching so I think they are right for me. I just purchased a pair of Adidas Supernova Cushion 7's which feel really good and I plan on alternating those with my Asics Gel Cumulus VIII's. I really don't think the shoes are an issue with this injury....not sure what is causing it.

Lazy idiot

Just saw your avatar, as well. Another hockey player?!? I love it! I played two years of C level beer league hockey after college, and wish I could still play (running is much cheaper than hockey)

Tick tock

Burninated Peasant

Here's the weird thing....it doesn't hurt at all.....not even a twinge, while I'm running. But about an hour after running it starts to get sore again and is pretty much there all the time.....until I run the next time!
            Patient: Doc, it hurts when I stop running! Doc: Well, don't stop running! MTA: For those who are sarcasm-challenged, the preceding statement is not to be construed as medical advice. Always talk to your doctor before beginning an exercise program. Do not taunt happy fun ball. Etc. etc.
            Ed4

Barefoot and happy

It's not that unusual to have a pain that only hurts when you're not running. Some things feel better once you warm up and loosen up. Stretching might help.
              Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
              grateful runner

this sounds very similar to what I am dealing with. I have inflammation of the peroneal tendons. It is pain on the outside of my foot almost in the arches. I've had it once in each foot and we think that it is related to my superfeet inserts needing replacement. They never were injured during a run, it was after. The doctor put me in a boot for two weeks for the first foot. The second doesn't seem to be nearly as bad, but it isn't getting better, so I'm back to the doc for another visit... best of luck!
                2009 Goals 1500 Miles 21:30 5K 1:40 Half Marathon 3:45 Marathon 200 Mile month
                Timbodeener

Just saw your avatar, as well. Another hockey player?!? I love it! I played two years of C level beer league hockey after college, and wish I could still play (running is much cheaper than hockey)
                  Drew, I referee high school hockey as well as play in an adult "B" level league....I love it! Great workout as well. You are right about running being much cheaper than hockey....I honestly don't know how some of these parents can come up with the money every year to have their kids play....some of them are spending 5 or 6 grand every season depending on how many teams their kid plays for.....!
                  Timbodeener

Patient: Doc, it hurts when I stop running! Doc: Well, don't stop running!quote> I was waiting for that one... Big grin
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

this sounds very similar to what I am dealing with. I have inflammation of the peroneal tendons. It is pain on the outside of my foot almost in the arches.
                      Yep. I dealt with this ALL last Spring, primarily in my right foot. What solved my problem was finding a more flexible shoe (I think my foot was fighting my stiffer shoes, to some degree) and better insoles (the stock NB ones don't have nearly the arch support that I needed, so I use mostly Sof Sole "Arch" and "Athlete" models, which add no stability, but are simply a firm sort of foam/gel). I still will occasionally get that little snapping/twinge sensation, but it's rare and the chronic pain is gone. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Timbodeener

Grateful Runner and Zoom-Zoom, do you have low arches like me or higher arches...just curious. My pain does not hurt in the arch area at all....just on the outside bottom/side/top edge directly opposite the middle of my arch. I like the idea of fixing it myself with insoles if possible but I don't know it I should get ones that have more arch support or not...I generally don't like the feeling of a high/stiffer arch in a running shoe and have always chosen a shoe that I really don't notice the "feel" of the arch so much. Plus with the way my foot does not want to naturally pronate inward I think I need less support in the arch...but I'm no foot doc! Thanks
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have very weird feet. As a kid I had super high arches...over the years they became more "average." After pregnancy they went a bit lower and my feet spread out...a LOT. Now my arch looks pretty normal until I put weight on it. I think part of what caused my issues was the constant collapse of my arches with each step. Using a more substantial arch supporting insole helps to limit the stress on those outside tendons, since they aren't being allowed to be pulled so much as my arch over-collapses. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay