Does anybody run hard for every run? (Read 1594 times)

finally Sub-3!!!

1/8/12 I develop IT Band syndrome and my monthly mileage has plummeted to ~50/month following a solid winter with ~250/month. I went through all the steps with the MD, PT, Ortho, stretch, roll, and Jane Fonda-esque strengthening. I would see some resolution after lots of rest, return to running easy, and it would slowly come back. Pre-ITBS days, my weekly run regimen was basically 45-60' easy daily run with 3 quality workouts per week in the form of a short threshold pace workout, a middle distance tempo run, and a long run. I had built up to a few 70-80 mile weeks. I had signed up for a half-iron race before the injury and went with full intentions of walking, but I found that running hard didn't bother me one bit. Since then, I have limited my workouts to Daniels paces faster than "easy/LRP" and have been asymptomatic until last weekend. I went on a little run with the wifey and within 5 miles, I was walking again with ITBS symptoms. I have since returned to running hard after a few rest days and again have complete resolution of symptoms. Thinking back to the original injury, I spent a whole week on vacation running easy with the wifey. I honestly believe I have some odd mechanics causing my issues when I run easy. I think I'm pulling my form together as I speed up. question: What are the draw backs of having 4-5 hard days/wk with no easy/recovery days? ( remaining days being non-run days.) I know the general advice is for lots of easy volume with some intensity sprinkled in. My typical week looks like this: Sunday: 90' with threshold repeats early and Marathon/Half-Marathon time late with easy paced recoveries Monday: swim only day Tuesday: 45' off the bike with a mix of HMP and MP Wednesday: 60' mix of 800 & 1600 repeats at threshold pace Thursday: 45' off the bike at MP Friday: swim only Saturday: 30-45' HMP-MP run off the bike I've been at this for a month and only had ITBS issues when deviating and running easy. This is after around 5 months of frustration. I am so glad to be back running. If I knew this ITBS crap would go away, I'd drop Tri's in a heartbeat and run forever. Thanks in advance.

Feeling the growl again

If you're running like 5X per week, you won't be able to recover.  Could you run hard every run?  Yes.  But not a lot more than you would in your normal 2-3X hard workouts per week.  You can't just add hard volume, especially if you're not doing the overall base to support it.

Is your wife slower than you?  Is it YOUR easy pace that causes problems or perhaps hers?

Over time, without the aerobic base build by easy runs your conditioning will deteriorate.  You can't maintain it indefinitely on a smattering of hard work each week.

However, you mention biking and tri's.  Now, if you are doing your aerobic base on the bike...granted this will require more hours than if you ran it....you can maintain decent fitness by doing most of your easy work on the bike and workouts running.  That should work OK.  However, in the long term, I would be a bit concerned that you are not fully conditioning your body to handle the rigors of hard workouts and you'll start to get "soft" from not enough running volume and become injury-prone.

For awhile now I've been forced to do about half of my running on a treadmill.  I recently did the longest on on the roads I have in quite awhile...I could feel it in my quads.  The treadmill is making my legs "soft".

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

only people who want to be injured.

---------

Seth, you appear to have hastily have captioned your Musha's with the name Elixir 7.  I don't think people who run hard want to be injured. 

Borden, I don't think it's at all a good idea to run hard every run, or even most runs. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I'd try to identify the form differences between Easy and Tempo/Whatever paces.  You've got to be distributing workload stress differently, and one's clearly better for your ITBs than the other.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

My first thought was, "no", but then I remembered the FIRST program. It's 3 days of running/week and each workout is a hard workout. That doesn't mean all of the miles are hard. There is a w/u & c/d, but still 3 hard workouts/week is a lot for most people

Seems like further investigation into what is causing this would be prudent.

If the problem didn't exist pre-2012, I'd be trying to figure out what's going on before I'd concede to changing my training regimen long term.

I realize you've been through the physical therapy process once already, but at this point you've got even more feedback to give your sports doc, maybe they can identify the problem more accurately now.

Good luck, I hope it clears up all the way for you.

And as for the FIRST plan Tom mentioned - I battled Achilles Tendonitis twice with that plan before deciding it wasn't for me. Too much intensity without the mileage to back it up in my case. Given, I did not/do not have the mileage/experience base that you have, but it only ended up causing me problems.

Why is it sideways?

I ran "hard" for every run when I was in high school and for a lot of the time in college. What does this mean? Basically hard intervals once or twice a week, tempo runs (~MP) every other day. I run my easy days a lot easier now (like 60s/mile slower.)

Sometimes I think this was a mistake, but on the other hand, I was going for it, and my body held up for the most part pretty well. It's easier to get away with as an 18-25 year old, but that doesn't mean that it's the best way to train.

Here's a nice article that criticizes the attitude I took in high school and college. This article suggests that I could have been much better by taking a hard/easy approach. Maybe it's even right, but we'll never know.

JimR

Depends on who's running in front of me.

Bushrat Runner

Lauren Fleshman has been dealing with ITBS by doing all her cardio work in the pool and sprinting all her running workouts. It is the only way she can run at present, according to her blog. 

Prince of Fatness

So it doesn't matter who is chasing you?

Not at it at all. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

That was too many words with no paragraph breaks, for me to be able to read through.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Hehe--that one took me a minute.

finally Sub-3!!!

If you're running like 5X per week, you won't be able to recover.  Could you run hard every run?  Yes.  But not a lot more than you would in your normal 2-3X hard workouts per week.  You can't just add hard volume, especially if you're not doing the overall base to support it.

Is your wife slower than you?  Is it YOUR easy pace that causes problems or perhaps hers?

Over time, without the aerobic base build by easy runs your conditioning will deteriorate.  You can't maintain it indefinitely on a smattering of hard work each week.

However, you mention biking and tri's.  Now, if you are doing your aerobic base on the bike...granted this will require more hours than if you ran it....you can maintain decent fitness by doing most of your easy work on the bike and workouts running.  That should work OK.  However, in the long term, I would be a bit concerned that you are not fully conditioning your body to handle the rigors of hard workouts and you'll start to get "soft" from not enough running volume and become injury-prone.

For awhile now I've been forced to do about half of my running on a treadmill.  I recently did the longest on on the roads I have in quite awhile...I could feel it in my quads.  The treadmill is making my legs "soft".

It was a mix of her pace (~9s) and my easy pace (~8s). She was doing a tempo day. I do around 10-15 hrs of swim&bike/week depending on where I am in the season. So I do get a lot of aerobic workouts. This week, I'll run 39 miles with 12 being WU, CD or rests between repeats. The remaining miles will be MP, HMP, or TP. And 2 days off/wk. I really think its too much intensity, but I have had better success with this ha

finally Sub-3!!!

That was too many words with no paragraph breaks, for me to be able to read through.

Sorry. I didn't type it out that way and whenever I edit it, it shows the spaces. Must be something with using an iPhone.