Broken wrists are dumb. (Read 604 times)

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Without a scratch...I protected the bike -- priorities!

WINNING!

TRUST THE PROCESS

Imminent Catastrophe

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

From the "it's all relevant dept.": I can't wait to get my cast on Friday.  This splint blows.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Fuckity.  Doc won't let me do shit until after 1/1--not even nowhere recumbent bike--then maybe I can get a short arm cast with waterproof liner. Roll eyesDisapproveCry

So probably 5 weeks until I have any hope of doing any activity.  I'll be starting from 0 and trying to train for an early April HM.  I'll definitely have no goals beyond simply finishing.  Probably need to scale back on all of my goals for the first half of the year. Sleepy 

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I am so sorry to hear that! You will overcome this injury, and you will do it in a rockin' orange cast. You are tough!

TRUST THE PROCESS

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

That's a long cast for "just" a wrist.  Nice color, though.

Sorry you're having to go through this.  Try not to go too crazy.  Unless it helps.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

That's a nice break!  Thanks for posting pics.  Hope you heal well and quickly.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I am so sorry to hear that! You will overcome this injury, and you will do it in a rockin' orange cast. You are tough!

Tough and crabby!  My #1 emphasis now is to try and drop at least 15#s just with diet (I've dropped 5ish this week, just cutting the carbs and losing a lot of the post injury swelling).  I lose so much easier when I'm not trying to fuel workouts.  If I weigh less it should make my return easier.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's a long cast for "just" a wrist.  Nice color, though.

Sorry you're having to go through this.  Try not to go too crazy.  Unless it helps.

crazy = wine & beer?

Long cast is to prevent ANY movement when my elbow would bend or twist.

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Fuckity.  Doc won't let me do shit until after 1/1--not even nowhere recumbent bike--then maybe I can get a short arm cast with waterproof liner. Roll eyesDisapproveCry

So probably 5 weeks until I have any hope of doing any activity.  I'll be starting from 0 and trying to train for an early April HM.  I'll definitely have no goals beyond simply finishing.  Probably need to scale back on all of my goals for the first half of the year. Sleepy 

Really? I don't get it. Casual spinning on a stationary recumbent isn't much different than walking except for the fact that it would be easier to keep your arm isolated. Did the doc give you a reason? I wonder what the next doc would say?

I assume your doc didn't tell you not to walk so why not walk the hell out of your 5 weeks. Find hills and stairs. Do it outside and you won't get your cast as stinky. It will keep your arm warm.

BTW, casts really suck and it could be twice as bad. Right now my son is living through six weeks of two casts at once. Nobody gets a good night's sleep. Forget Christmas. We're looking forward to getting rid of the damn casts. December 17 can't come soon enough.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, x...poor kiddo. Sad

Yeah, I don't get my doc's reasoning at all. Confused  As long as roads are dry I probably will take walks.  It's better than nothing.  

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Oh, x...poor kiddo. Sad

Yeah, I don't get my doc's reasoning at all. Confused  As long as roads are dry I probably will take walks.  It's better than nothing.  

Yeah, it's been a rough 5 weeks. He gets to miss four days of school and go to Disney next month. 

I'd have a hard time not doing something and would probably disobey. Last winter I fell and got a handful of stitches. When the doctor asked if I had any questions I skipped over everything I should have asked and asked if it was a problem to do the race I had planned tomorrow. He said go ahead, just don't trip.

Knitting needles work great.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, it's been a rough 5 weeks. He gets to miss four days of school and go to Disney next month.

He totally deserves that!  Hmmm...this is an angle I need to work... Evil

~ Sarah Kay