Mouse Wheel Zoom Event Handling (Read 964 times)

The shirtless wonder

It would be very convenient if I could use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out when mapping routes. 

eric :)

During development, I enabled the mouse wheel for zooming because Trent had been (and still is) nagging me about adding it.  I soon decided against it because I realized how often I use the scroll wheel without thinking.  The zoom on scroll caused more irritation than it's worth so I removed it.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The shirtless wonder

During development, I enabled the mouse wheel for zooming because Trent had been (and still is) nagging me about adding it.  I soon decided against it because I realized how often I use the scroll wheel without thinking.  The zoom on scroll caused more irritation than it's worth so I removed it.

Hmm, could it be set in user preferences?  Pretty please?  Smile

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm with Eric - that wheel zoom on Google drives me crazy.  It can be in preferences, if you insist.

kukabuka

Every mapping site I can think of (Google, Bing, Mapquest, Yahoo, etc) uses the wheel to zoom, so I suspect the majority of your users are missing the feature.

Personally, I fail to understand how one unintentionally uses the scroll wheel when on a map.  Especially in full screen mode, the wheel would have no other purpose than to zoom.  It feels completely natural and way, way more efficient than the slider.  Myself, I am constantly using the wheel to try to zoom in/out, and constantly being annoyed that it doesn't work. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Simple.  I use the scroll wheel to scroll down from the top of the page to the bottom.  The moment my cursor accidentally crosses over the map, the behavior changes and the map zooms.  Not my intent.

xor

Every mapping site I can think of (Google, Bing, Mapquest, Yahoo, etc) uses the wheel to zoom, so I suspect the majority of your users are missing the feature.

Personally, I fail to understand how one unintentionally uses the scroll wheel when on a map.  Especially in full screen mode, the wheel would have no other purpose than to zoom.  It feels completely natural and way, way more efficient than the slider.  Myself, I am constantly using the wheel to try to zoom in/out, and constantly being annoyed that it doesn't work. 

Be nice.

kukabuka

Simple.  I use the scroll wheel to scroll down from the top of the page to the bottom.  The moment my cursor accidentally crosses over the map, the behavior changes and the map zooms.  Not my intent.

Alright, I can see that.  Though the only page where my browser scrolls is on the the edit screen.  Personally, I zoom in/out way more than I scroll up/down when I am editing/adding a map so I prefer the zoom functionality.  But what about wheel zoom on full screen?  I still can't see any reason not to have it there.

@srlopez:  No idea how you took that post as not "nice".  Sorry if I offended in you in some fashion.

an amazing likeness

I agree with Trent, I get frustrated by the change in behavior when mouse-wheel scrolling changes to zoom as the focus moves to a map. Scrolling is the dominant behavior.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

xor

I agree with Trent, I get frustrated by the change in behavior when mouse-wheel scrolling changes to zoom as the focus moves to a map. Scrolling is the dominant behavior.

I agree with this, only I'd say it with a weird accent.

As for offending me, no... it's just the words chosen ("I fail to understand", "constantly being annoyed", "I still can't see any reason").

Anyway, we are a friendly community and eric does a ton of work to make the site the best damn site there is.  Which we appreciate!  And for that, he doesn't show us ads or charge us a fee.

I'm just a fellow community member, like you.  When I write "be nice", there's no force behind my words.  I'm neither offended nor trying to threaten.  More of a request.  I should have said "pretty please".  Like Greg!

kukabuka

Fair enough.  My words were blunt, I'll admit.  I meant no disrespect, Eric, if you are seeing this.  I'm a .net web developer too, so I have a fair idea of the huge amount of work being done for free, and it is astounding.

Scrolling is the dominant behavior normally, which I suppose is why typical mapping sites are designed so there are no scroll bars, to eliminate the ambiguity.  Therefore, my suggestion and feature request would be to enable the wheel zoom for full-screen/maximized mode only.  It wouldn't cause any change in behavior since there's no scrolling anyways.

Thanks!

Dave

Fair enough.  My words were blunt, I'll admit.  I meant no disrespect, Eric, if you are seeing this. 

Eric sees all.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

keeponrunning

+1

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

-1.  I guess I use maps frequently enough in my daily life that I've learned that scrolling when the mouse is over the map changes its behavior.  But I get that others might have issues with it -- I've certainly had my share of "oopsies" in the past.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau