fraud (Read 679 times)

s k i p p y

so mad.  last week my debit card vanished.  yah, I know, how did it happen?  when was the last time you used it? blah blah blah.  IF I KNEW THAT IT WOULDN'T HAVE GONE MISSING Mad smiley 49

anywoo,  tracked down a charge from cabela's.  it was the only time the perp (tee,hee) used it.   They charged $126 on a electronic gift card.   and the gift card was then sent to an email as the recipient.   so sneaky it's not even funny

and now cabela's won't release the email address to me unless I get a subpoena.   I don't even know what that is really.  I am just a dumb cardiology nurse.   never even been arrested.  

is it worth the time and aggravation to drag my sorry ass to the police station for the email address that is probably bogus anyway?  

Wandering Wally

You could report it to the police, give them the information you have and then let them handle it.  They will decide if it's worth pursuing or not.  I'm assuming by now you have cancelled that debit card and got a new one?

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

I'm not a lawyer (well, actually, I am), but ... using the email may or may not constitute wire fraud, and federal law may be invoked if the acts crossed state lines.  So you might be able to file a complaint with the feds and get them to follow up on it for you.

I assume you froze the account/killed the card/whatever to protect your funds from further plunder?

MTA: see HERE.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

s k i p p y

You could report it to the police, give them the information you have and then let them handle it.  They will decide if it's worth pursuing or not.  I'm assuming by now you have cancelled that debit card and got a new one?

I did cancel it and got a new card.  what a pain in the butt that is too.  I had way too many things associated with my debit card.  grocery delivery, amazon, ez pass.  probably how I got in this pickle in the first placeAshamed smiley 3

Best Present Ever

so why would you want the address unless you were reporting to the police? why should they give you the email address?  

Your debit card should have a limit on what you have to pay, if you report the fraud to the bank & have made a police report.  some of the money should be credited back to you.  I had my debit card used (they had the number and I had the card -- this was about 10 years ago now, I don't think the same thing could happen as easily).  While $1000s were spent, I got all but $50 credited back to me.  

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

so why would you want the address unless you were reporting to the police? why should they give you the email address?  

Your debit card should have a limit on what you have to pay, if you report the fraud to the bank & have made a police report.  some of the money should be credited back to you.  I had my debit card used (they had the number and I had the card -- this was about 10 years ago now, I don't think the same thing could happen as easily).  While $1000s were spent, I got all but $50 credited back to me.  

Yep.  I know with my credit union debit card, if I report the fraud to them within a certain amount of time - I think it's like two or three days, so I have to be on the ball - they'll take care of me.

If it's a credit card, the card company is a lot more forgiving, time-wise, and they'll generally definitely credit your account when the fraud is reported (never done this, but I hear that over and over).

...but I for one don't use credit cards, for the same reason The Rock's character in The Rundown doesn't use guns.

Well, almost.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I'm a county prosecutor...It wouldn't be a bad idea to report it to your local police.  They can possibly pull email records from the email provider to get subscriber information.  How long ago did it happen?  That might affect the kind of response you get from them.  But yes I have seen successful prosecutions for a situation like yours.  

I doubt the feds would get involved unless it unraveled into some larger scheme, but I'm not sure.  The place to start is your local jurisdiction.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

s k i p p y

uhh because I want to run over the ahole who took my card

and they should give it to me BECAUSE ITS FRAUD

BoA did not honor the charge, it's a fraudulent charge so it just goes into their black hole of who knows where.... 

I am throwing this thread out to the masses to find out if it's worth it to go to the police for such a small crime.  I am mildly embarrassed

Regular ass person

I would get a police report... for the sole reason that its good to have that documentation just in case. Someone in my family was the victim of identity theft a few years ago on a much larger scale, and having that paperwork handy has proved invaluable on many an occasion.
                    s k i p p y

I'm a county prosecutor...It wouldn't be a bad idea to report it to your local police.  They can possibly pull email records from the email provider to get subscriber information.  How long ago did it happen?  That might affect the kind of response you get from them.  But yes I have seen successful prosecutions for a situation like yours.  

I doubt the feds would get involved unless it unraveled into some larger scheme, but I'm not sure.  The place to start is your local jurisdiction.

It happened last week.  This is my first day off since the,  uhhh, crime occurred.

thinking I will go down the police station today, thank you for your input 

Arie2.0

Meat is Murder

I'm sorry you are going through this. $126 is not a small sum and it's also the bad feeling involved with this situation. MJ5's and others made good suggestions. 

Putin told me how to vote.

JimR

so mad.  last week my debit card vanished.  yah, I know, how did it happen?  when was the last time you used it? blah blah blah.  IF I KNEW THAT IT WOULDN'T HAVE GONE MISSING Mad smiley 49

anywoo,  tracked down a charge from cabela's.  it was the only time the perp (tee,hee) used it.   They charged $126 on a electronic gift card.   and the gift card was then sent to an email as the recipient.   so sneaky it's not even funny

and now cabela's won't release the email address to me unless I get a subpoena.   I don't even know what that is really.  I am just a dumb cardiology nurse.   never even been arrested.  

is it worth the time and aggravation to drag my sorry ass to the police station for the email address that is probably bogus anyway?  

Don't debit cards always have a pin number?  Usually a debit card is useless without the pin.

Don't debit cards always have a pin number?  Usually a debit card is useless without the pin.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, it sucks even if you didn't actually lose any money.

A Saucy Wench

Of course cabela's wont release the email address.  How do they know who you are?  How do they know the charge is truly fraudulent.  Frankly if they DID release the email address THAT would be scary. 

I'm surprised B of A reversed the charges without a police report.  When my credit card got stolen the cc company required that I file a report.  Of course in my case over $1000 in fraudlent charges were made in a couple hours. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7