Questions about Pfitz 12/70 (Read 290 times)

kevinballen

I am getting ready to start training for marathon #4 with Pfitz 12/70 and have a few questions.

I only have the first edition of the book.  Should I just use the schedule I have or get the schedule from the second edition.  My understanding is that the biggest difference is more MP runs.  There is really just one long run with 16 with 12 at MP in this schedule.

Since there are no hill repeats or other hill running specified in the when is the best time to add in hill running?

I am not clear at what pace to run the GA runs.  Easy pace like for long runs or should they be closer to recovery runs? 

I haven't found any races that fit with the schedule so I am planning on doing 10K time trials instead.  Should I do those on a track?

Thanks.

Kevin Allen

Since there are no hill repeats or other hill running specified in the when is the best time to add in hill running?

"we don't prescribe specific hill training sessions. That's because how much to focus on hill training depends on the topography of your marathon." So, is your marathon hilly? If so, "plan your training runs to include hills of roughly the same length and steepness as your upcoming race"

I am not clear at what pace to run the GA runs.

"For most runners, the optimal intensity range for these is about 15 to 25% slower than marathon race pace. This is faster than recovery runs."

haven't found any races that fit with the schedule so I am planning on doing 10K time trials instead.  Should I do those on a track?

That's too bad about no races fitting. Solo time trials suck. Is your marathon on a track? If so, then maybe I would do this on a track. I'm guessing it's not, so I wouldn't.

2nd edition has MP runs at week 11, 9 and 6.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      xor

It's not like the first edition of the book is bad.  If that's what you have access to, I'd say... learn it and do it.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Why the 12 week plan and not the 18 week plan?  The 12 week plan will hit all the same cycles as the 18 week plan but each is a shortened version.  The book says to use the 18 week plan if you have the time as the 12 week plan will likely not produce the same results as the 18 week plan.

I realize that at this point you cannot go back 6 weeks and start training and you are stuck with having to follow the 12 week plan, just curious why you waited.  Back in 2011 I tried a 12 week plan and always felt time crunched with it and if anything derailed my training it was added worry.

kevinballen

Thanks for the advice and information.

I planned on running my long runs on terrain similar to the marathon.  I want to add extra hill running because I feel I race better when I have been doing hill repeats during training.  I know that I can't add hill repeats to a Pfitz plan but figured adding one run a week that was extra hilly would help.

I've never done a solo time trial before so wasn't sure where to run it.  I am hopeful a local 10-15K race will be scheduled.  Lots of 5Ks but no longer ones that I have found yet.

The reason for the 12 week plan is that my last marathon was on November 24th.  So I am doing a reverse taper right now and figure I will be fully recovered to start a new training cycle 5 weeks after the last marathon.  I selected this marathon because it is close and hopefully before it gets too warm/humid.

Kevin Allen