10 marathons in 10 days (Read 131 times)

That one time, not at band camp, where I did 4 in 4 days and ran day 4, which was the hardest course, as the fastest of the 4 AND within 5 minutes of my then-PR... that was hella harder. But fun.

Seattle Quadzilla?

Dave

an amazing likeness

RA logger MikeE did 5 in 5 days, with #5 being fastest.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Cyberic

I, for one, am pretty impressed. Not in the 10 in 10 in itself, but in his average pace, and the difficulty of some of these marathons (thus, the avg pace).

Can't compare to a sub-15min 5K. I'm impressed by both.

rlopez

Seattle Quadzilla?

Correct.

GC100k

For some of these stunts I think it'd be really cool to do, but I stop short of admiration. As others have pointed out, the thing Wardian did was a $42,000 holiday package. The times he runs back to back are kind of amazing to me, but Kipchoge runs a 2:19 marathon as a tempo run in a heavy marathon training week.

A couple years ago there was a social media post about someone who had heroically done the World Marathon Challenge and ended with "what's your excuse?". Obviously, everyone responded with "my excuse is I don't have $40,000 to spend on a holiday".

My response to a lot of running stunts is like that. I think it'd be great to be able to do it, but I wouldn't say "heroic" or "admirable" (I do realize nobody here used those words).

Dave

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

he might get injured and end up not racing at all."

n'uff said

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

JMac11

RIP Milkman

So he’s running MP + 30%. I’m impressed by his actual marathon times, but MP+30% for 10 days straight? If someone on here was a 3:05 marathoner and ran 10 straight marathons at 4 hours, you would be impressed?

MP+30% is a pure endurance event, not something particularly impressive. Sorry if that makes me part of the tough crowd.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

rlopez

With gumbee?

Perhaps. I actually don't remember if he and I did it the same years. But probably so.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

So he’s running MP + 30%. I’m impressed by his actual marathon times, but MP+30% for 10 days straight? If someone on here was a 3:05 marathoner and ran 10 straight marathons at 4 hours, you would be impressed?

MP+30% is a pure endurance event, not something particularly impressive. Sorry if that makes me part of the tough crowd.

Yep, that’s exactly what I was thinking...yes, he averaged a 2:55 over 10 days which is great, but he’s a sub 2:20 marathoner.  Could I run 10x3:30 marathons in 10 days? It would be mentally and physically tough, but certainly not impossible. I would just see it as more of a challenge rather than some amazing achievement.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

an amazing likeness

Yep, that’s exactly what I was thinking...yes, he averaged a 2:55 over 10 days which is great, but he’s a sub 2:20 marathoner.  Could I run 10x3:30 marathons in 10 days? It would be mentally and physically tough, but certainly not impossible. I would just see it as more of a challenge rather than some amazing achievement.

I think you're far undervaluing the difference between '...on any given day, this guy could knock out a sub-3 26 mile long run'  and the amazing mental feat it takes to head out on day 6 (or 4 or 7 or whatever) knowing you have to knock another of those 26mi long runs today, under the gun, with more days to come.

That's pretty amazing when I contemplate it.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Cyberic

He did the World Marathon Challenge ( only the 7, and not 3 more) in 2:45 avg time in 2017. And that includes Antarctica, which will definitely  bring your average down.

MTA: He won Antartica in 3:16

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I think you're far undervaluing the difference between '...on any given day, this guy could knock out a sub-3 26 mile long run'  and the amazing mental feat it takes to head out on day 6 (or 4 or 7 or whatever) knowing you have to knock another of those 26mi long runs today, under the gun, with more days to come.

That's pretty amazing when I contemplate it.

Yep, I said it would be mentally tough...but doable and that’s why it’s a quirky world record, because no elite runner would be bothered with those kind of stunts.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

Does Donavan Brazier 1:13.77 600M today breaking the World Record impress you?  Or

A Thing Mu, a high school junior, setting the American Record and 2nd fastest time ever at the 600M to win the US Indoor Championship in 1:23:57

Why bother with those endurance events longer than 1k?

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

rlopez

yeah