10 marathons in 10 days (Read 131 times)

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I doubt very few people here have run 26 miles 7 days in a row.

I know i have not.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

rlopez

I doubt very few people here have run 26 miles 7 days in a row.

I know i have not.

I know someone who has.

BTW, that's a 182 mile week. Pretty good week of running. Followed by another 78 miles over 3 days.

There are many different ways people can "impress" someone. 

Incidentally, I know a few very good road marathoners ("elite", sure maybe, or at least close... that's a fun description that people often throw around without defining it) who go on to run a trail 100 miler or two. Or in Wardian's case, Hardrock. Different thing, nothing close to road marathon pace. Maybe that wouldn't impress folks, maybe it would. But most folks can't do it.

And I'd be willing to bet that those tut tutting 10 marathons in 10 days (not at MP) probably would be pretty broken at the end of it.

Yall (not you, tom, sorry... I just borrowed your post) give it a try and let us know.

T Hound

Slower but happier

these kinds of records always make me wonder...

would you rather have that record or a sub 15min 5k?

maybe it's my track background, but personally my goal would always be to see how fast I could race 1 standard race distance event...

I sure he can run though!

On USATF site at least 5k pr 14:55,  so I guess we could ask him?

Maybe his fastest... (insert the race distance that impresses here) ...is behind him and rather than run the same distance over and over slower each year, he moved on to other things to keep running career going and fun?  I recall him talking about this-like maybe he could train all year for 1 or 2, 2:14-2:17 races but maybe get injured and definitely miss out on a lot of other stuff.

The real achievement is recovery and lack of injury but not sure how much of it is genetic.  If he bottle it I would buy it!

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

bhearn

10 in 10 days, not a big deal. Averaging 2:55, that's a big deal. OK so for him that's a leisurely jog (though I'm sure travel logistics and some venues, like Antarctica, can't have made that any easier). That doesn't mean faster guys than him could do it. Wardian represents a pretty unique combination of speed and endurance, more specifically, recovery ability. I'm happy to see him having fun doing stuff like this. The "record" thing doesn't impress me either – the story doesn't say, but I'm assuming it's a Guinness record. They award "records" for all sorts of crazy stuff. Real records in running are determined by official governing bodies, i.e. IAAF, IAU, USATF. Which is not to say some Guinness records are not noteworthy (e.g. Pete Kostelnick's run across the US in 42 days), but the Guinness label is incidental to the accomplishment. I'll take my USATF age-group records over any number of Guinness world records.

15 min 5K, that doesn't mean anything to me, that's not a world I live in. Humans are pretty sucky runners, as mammals go, over such distances. We only really stand out at much longer distances. Yes that's a pretty self-serving attitude I admit, but to each his own. I prefer the longer stuff.

Thank goodness most of the record-keeping bodies restrict eligibility to humans, rather than including all mammals.

Dave

Fair question: would you rather have a quirky/weird endurance world record or the 5k PR of a middling D3 college runner?

For 40-something-year-old Mike Wardian, the answer appears to be "A".

can we compare world records and pick?

I'd certainly take the 5k World Record.

to me quirky world records were always dumb, sorry. Like fastest mile while juggling 3 balls... or most times one can kick themselves in the face... I forget the guys name...but he set out to own as many world records as possible...

Don't get me started on Swimming...lol. 100m back stroke vs. fly vs. freestyle... ever notice track doesn't have the 100m backwards race? sideways race... etc... always seemed odd to me that swimming created different events/styles to compete at instead of simply picking the distance and saying, fastest way you can swim it have at it!

300m- 37 sec.

mikeymike

can we compare world records and pick?

Sadly we cannot. I wish I could choose the 5000 meter world record over some goofy endurance stunt record and perhaps Mike Wardian would too.

If could trade a single run in the World Championship 5000m final for a lifetime of glorified jogging, I'd do it in heart beat. Hell, I'd make that deal for a single sub-four-minute mile at a holiday all-comer's meet.

Nobody's comparing Wardian's goofy record with the IAAF 5000m record. C'mon, man.

Runners run

Perhaps. I actually don't remember if he and I did it the same years. But probably so.

Year one, yes indeedy.

That was the year your island friend was in town (Johnny?) who ran each one faster than the last and finished Seattle on Sunday around 3:10 IIRC.

Then a month later I saw his picture on the cover of UltraRunning magazine doing the high step over some roots at the HURT 100

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

rlopez

Year one, yes indeedy.

That was the year your island friend was in town (Johnny?) who ran each one faster than the last and finished Seattle on Sunday around 3:10 IIRC.

Then a month later I saw his picture on the cover of UltraRunning magazine doing the high step over some roots at the HURT 100

Johnny Landeza, aka "Shaka". He's a good guy, still running.

I too got progressively faster each day but can't claim no 3:10!

WOOHOO!

I too got progressively faster each day but can't claim no 3:10!

WOOHOO!

WOOHOO, indeed.

The last was my fastest as well

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

WOOHOO, indeed.

The last was my fastest as well

Ha, I still have yet to run even one of those four individually.

Dave

T Hound

Slower but happier

Thank goodness most of the record-keeping bodies restrict eligibility to humans, rather than including all mammals.

Yes, but they’re going to have to deal with GMOs and cyborgs in the not too distant future.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I guess I am different than most people .

i would not trade the rest of my days I have left running no matter how slow for some past glory

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes